JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,516 of 3,271
Quote:

Brass has a considerable difference in sound with musical instruments - it's roughly 3x as dense as aluminum and conducts energy to the environment about half as well.  Encasing a sub I imagine it provides better damping and energy transfer characteristics.

The excess material cost vs. retail cost is a typical marketing strategy... most things the further upmarket you go the marginal profit increases greatly (next configuration up in a compter, options in a car).  Sometimes it actually can be somewhat justified based on production volume, but it usually just is a marketing thing.  Sometimes the low end is adjusted a bit downward and the lost profit on that is subsidized by sales of the higher end versions.

That said, these things overall probably cost JVC no more than $20-30 to manufacture in materials/labor/energy.  The production cost differential between the 100 -> 200 might only be a few dollars if that.  If you amortize the full cost of the run, including R&D and expenditures for machinery, it's a multiple of that, but hard to gauge without having any insight on the # of units produced or how something like this is actually developed.  

Very little relation in resonance vibration of large surfaces to little pieces of metal, wood or plastic. I think it's marketing or a way to make the chamber a bit larger etc. It needs to be rigid enough but I honestly think plastic would make no difference if strong enough. No disrespect intended as long what they're doing works. People are allowed to make a profit, pay for the R&D and benefit from their ingenuity and marketing.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,517 of 3,271
Quote:
+1, I never imagined Fleetwood mac songs, sounded that good, until now....

This reminded me of a rather famous Mark Twain quote, something like 'Apparently, Wagner's music is better than it sounds'.  One of my favorite quotes.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,519 of 3,271
Can any one name some tunes that really show off the soundstage of the 200s please? i mean like wow! i have had a couple of wow moments when listening to some tracks and want more.

I wonder if there is soundstage/headstage club on head fi! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,520 of 3,271
Quote:
I thought you of all people would understand
wink.gif

Four days in and i adore the 200's.
I find myself revisiting songs that i was never mad for.
Now they're full, lush and rich with detail.
Take Fleetwood Mac - The Chain.
The kick drum now thumps, before you would hear it, now you feel every thump and it sounds exactly as it should.
Same with vocals, the bass on these just adds so much to the music.

Good to see you loving them. I think my brain is still learning, still trying to make sense of them. These phones really let me know when a song is produced well or not. The bass quantity is on the 200s is far too low from my liking. The cks77 seem to have much more, although lesser quality.
The bass head in me forces me to listen to the 200s with a zo2 attached.  Any way commencing further burn in and loving the Mac on the 200s.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,521 of 3,271
Quote:
Very little relation in resonance vibration of large surfaces to little pieces of metal, wood or plastic. I think it's marketing or a way to make the chamber a bit larger etc. It needs to be rigid enough but I honestly think plastic would make no difference if strong enough. No disrespect intended as long what they're doing works. People are allowed to make a profit, pay for the R&D and benefit from their ingenuity and marketing.

Not sure I follow your logic here... it's a large piece of metal relative to the driver (what else do you mean by large sufaces??), it completely encases it.  It should make an audible difference.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,522 of 3,271
Quote:
Can any one name some tunes that really show off the soundstage of the 200s please? i mean like wow! i have had a couple of wow moments when listening to some tracks and want more.

I wonder if there is soundstage/headstage club on head fi! 

Quite a few of the videos earlier in the thread were pretty amazing.

I'm a big Basement Jaxx fan, and of everything they've done their Zephyr album (a departure from them, largely an ambient thing) is chock full of holy crap experiences for me.  Seriously if you have a high quality streaming service check it out.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,523 of 3,271
It's resonance point will not be in the woofers band and the point was that comparing the resonance behavior of brass in  a large instrument to that little piece of metal is probably not valid. It's like 1/4" wide so it's lowest fundamental resonant frequency(if it had any significant ones in system) would be in the high frequency range and not affect the bass in any way. There's really not enough there for mass damping as well or all you'd have to do is add a bit of lead tape to a 100 to beat it. Unless it was suspended in some way which it isn't the resonant character of that as it's secured in the enclosure should be negligible. Resonances are defined by vibration and what frequencies excite them. Nothing there to excite or damp low fequencies.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,524 of 3,271
Quote:

Question for people who used tenso: I'd rather have them ship to my address at work, and keep my billing as my apt address... anyone know if that's OK? I'm ready to pull the trigger today.

you use YOUR billing address as the billing address.  You use Tenso as the ship-to from the site you are buying from, and you use the address you want them to end up at, as the shipping address at Tenso.  Billing is so they can get your credit card to go through - shipping is where you want them to go.  so, yes, you should be able to use your work address as the shipping address you give to Tenso.

Hope that helps.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,525 of 3,271
Quote:

not sure if i'd buy that - the same kinds of considerations that apply to big speakers apply to little ones (iems).  Resonance is resonance - and little things vibrate too!  Especially when used as 'speaker enclosures', even if the drivers are little.  Just my 2 cents worth

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,526 of 3,271
Quote:
you use YOUR billing address as the billing address.  You use Tenso as the ship-to from the site you are buying from, and you use the address you want them to end up at, as the shipping address at Tenso.  Biolling is so they can get your credit card to go through - shipping is where you ant them to go.  so, yes, you should be able to use your work address as the shipping address you give to Tenso.

Hope that helps.

awesome. Thanks!!

can't wait... wish I still had my fx700's to compare too, as those were my hands down favorite iem/headphone

pulling the trigger tonight, tenso opens in 3 hours!

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,527 of 3,271
I also would like to mention that even the 200s, which people are referring to as bass-heavy, are extremely coherent, and very detailed.  Like live music, there is no bass, midrange or treble - there are drums and horns and strings etc...  I really like these very much.  the 100s are close, and i like them as well.  It's really not about the bass, or just about the bass for those of us who listen to 'acoustic' music (among other things). I like the way they play Slipknot too!  Good iems don;t know what genre they're playing, and don;t show favorites!

I'm curious also to know what's the best gear you;ve hooked yours up to, and what kind of music you prefer and have listened to through yours, and mention whether they're 100s or 200s (Hey, a Poll, and we're not even in Warsaw).  
devil_face.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,528 of 3,271
not sure if i'd buy that - the same kinds of considerations that apply to big speakers apply to little ones (iems).  Resonance is resonance - and little things vibrate too!  Especially when used as 'speaker enclosures', even if the drivers are little.  Just my 2 cents worth

I agree with goodvibez here that it seems unlikely that resonance is of high concern here. Comparing to instruments is vastly different; my acoustic guitar is lightly built, meaning that it rings out really nicely. The specific woods matter, but you can also feel the instrument vibrate. The tension and sound pressure is incomparable.

Having said that, I do think it theoretically affects the sound of an IEM; different materials reflect sound in a different way. Could it be that brass, because it is a harder material, reflects the sound differently, resulting in what is being described here as adding to the 'resolution'? E.g. rosewood is often used in guitars because the hard wood generally projects the sound better and also results in beautiful overtones.. but that is wood...

P.s. sorry for the edit, android phone had a mind of its own.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,529 of 3,271
Good to see you loving them. I think my brain is still learning, still trying to make sense of them. These phones really let me know when a song is produced well or not. The bass quantity is on the 200s is far too low from my liking. The cks77 seem to have much more, although lesser quality.
The bass head in me forces me to listen to the 200s with a zo2 attached.  Any way commencing further burn in and loving the Mac on the 200s.  

Try playing with the tips, i tried an old pair and the sound was very light,
As I'm very surprised you find the bass lacking.

As for a good song try.

Florence + The Machine - Breath of life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtBbOcdFxo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,530 of 3,271

You need a better source i reckon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back