JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,624 of 2,211
So I had these for two days now and coming from the GR02 bass its a very nice improvement. The only thing bugging me is the fact that I constantly have to adjust the left earpiece since my left ear canal is bigger than the right one, thus making it harder to get the perfect seal.
I decided to get some tips to fix this issue (I have no other tips apart from the stock ones), thats why I need your recommendations.

I narrowed down my choices to the comply T-400 and the TS-400. I think foam tips will suit me best because of how big they are and how they tame the highs (I find the FXT90s to be just a little too bright for my liking). I would rather get the T-400 ones as they are cheaper and easier to find but I am worried that they will make the highs too dark/tamed. Can someone help me in deciding which ones to get?

EDIT: after more research, I'm kinda swaying towards the TS-400 now as they have a wider "waist" than the t-400 which are longer/more narrow (I think the bigger waist will fix the fit issue better). Do TS-400 affect the bass and the treble at all? Because now my fxt90 have gone through ~10 hours of burn in and Im reeeaaaally liking the sound (which by the way changed a ton from straight out of the box). Though if there were just a tiny bit more bass and a little more tamed treble these would be just perfect. So for these reasons are the ts400 tips a good choice?

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,625 of 2,211
Quote:
So I had these for two days now and coming from the GR02 bass its a very nice improvement. The only thing bugging me is the fact that I constantly have to adjust the left earpiece since my left ear canal is bigger than the right one, thus making it harder to get the perfect seal.
I decided to get some tips to fix this issue (I have no other tips apart from the stock ones), thats why I need your recommendations.

I have the same problem with my ear canals too and foam tips are my solution too. The amazon.co.jp page for the fxt90 shows that people often buy them with the JVC EP-FX-4-B ear tips, which are of the olive type. I looked up the page after I got the earphones last year and was in Tokyo after that. Found the ear tips at Labi in Shibuya.

I've got the GR02 BE too, and I'd use it when commuting and running since it's cheaper and has better isolation (with Complyfoam tips anyway).

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,626 of 2,211
How would you describe the change in sound when using the foam tips? (and which ones do you use?)
Quote:
I have the same problem with my ear canals too and foam tips are my solution too. The amazon.co.jp page for the fxt90 shows that people often buy them with the JVC EP-FX-4-B ear tips, which are of the olive type. I looked up the page after I got the earphones last year and was in Tokyo after that. Found the ear tips at Labi in Shibuya.

I've got the GR02 BE too, and I'd use it when commuting and running since it's cheaper and has better isolation (with Complyfoam tips anyway).

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,627 of 2,211
Quote:
How would you describe the change in sound when using the foam tips? (and which ones do you use?)

Mostly Comply ones: S-400 that came with Brainwavz ProAlpha, M4 and M5; T-400; and the Ts-200 that came with the UE600. For me, it's not so much about the sound as the physical sensation that comes from the ear tips coming in contact with the wall of the ear canals. With most silicone tips, it takes too much adjustment to try to equalise the buzzing sensation in each ear that comes from the bass frequencies. Foam tips also take care of driver flex and pressure differences (between the ear canal and the environment).

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,628 of 2,211
Quote:
With most silicone tips, it takes too much adjustment to try to equalise the buzzing sensation in each ear that comes from the bass frequencies. Foam tips also take care of driver flex and pressure differences (between the ear canal and the environment).

Hi there,

So, that is where the buzzing sound I was hearing was coming from at low volume settings? I just bought my FXT90s yesterday and find their sound is just great (compared to my Maximo IM-590, AKG DJ81K or even my SR-80s...). Any idea if the buzzing goes away with burn-in? 

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,629 of 2,211
Hi all

I just received a pair of these and am running now through the sound burning process (as with any sound related equipment I get), I will make no estimated or subjective sound evaluation before this, all I can say right now is they are really comfortable sitting in my ears (mid size factory tips)

The mesh filter seem a bit close to the nozzle tip, they will probably get dirt / wax overtime, has anyone tried to take them out ? are they supposed to be washable / cleanable ?

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,630 of 2,211
Hello Everyone,
I likemy fxt90 buti need new tips. I use the large tips that came with it and they gave a very ice fit bt they seem to loose their form aftera while so i need a new pair or a substitute. I oive in Europe, the netherlands so tey have to be shippedhere. I thought abut buying klipsch x
i but new tips would be cheaper. I dont really like thecomply tips because imho they are not very durable.
Any recommendation would be welcome.
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,631 of 2,211
I like the short dual flange tips that come in the MEElec M11+ tip kit. That kit includes them in three sizes, and I prefer their fit and security in my ear over the JVC stock large single flanges. I also feel that they keep the bass in better balance with the rest of the spectrum.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,632 of 2,211
Hi guys I've just gotten my fxt90 couple of days ago and had about 40 hours on them but I'm hearing quite a bit of sibilance particularly on "come around soon" in the album "little voice" by sara bareilles and I was wondering if the sibilance was the problem of the headphone or the source or track

I'm running straight off of ipod video with alac files

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,633 of 2,211
Quote:
Hi guys I've just gotten my fxt90 couple of days ago and had about 40 hours on them but I'm hearing quite a bit of sibilance particularly on "come around soon" in the album "little voice" by sara bareilles and I was wondering if the sibilance was the problem of the headphone or the source or track
I'm running straight off of ipod video with alac files

Yeah, that song has a vendetta with phones that tend toward sibilance, and the FXT90's treble isn't exactly what I'd call refined.

I didn't keep the FXT long enough to make a statement about burn in, but that'll probably never change.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #1,634 of 2,211
In my experience the FXT90 is more prone to sibilance than most iems, but it lessens over time. Revisit that song after 30 or so hours and report back here. I'm interested to hear your results.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,635 of 2,211
well then

Finally I got some conclusions here on this setup

I´m a firm believer of prepping / burning audio components for a few reasons which I´m not going into now but generally speaking most of the gear I get I leave running for sometime and forget its there even before going through auditioning

this FXT90 does need some serious prep, or burning as you might prefer. Carbon nanotubes is something altogether rather new in dynamic loudspeakers. Kinda of next step (or side step) to the technologies much used by focal on their top ranges (top focal ranges can go up to about 150k euro or more worth of two stereo loudspeakers stacks so they must know what they are doing or else no business) of home and car hifi - berylium, titanium and other metal related compounds used on or within the drivers. Its common knowledge Focal´s and such alikes do need a proper or better still controlled burning

Preping the neco V3.1 with the advised 100 hour runtime (lol 3.1 meaning I suggested neco to include flushed torx screws on the face plates instead of those common not so good looking philips screws) for a good 100 hours, did the same to the fxt90´s

So I approached it this way: just like the focals they need serious - meaning high volume with good clean power. Neco amp at low gain (2.3), bass gain on (on this amp the bass gain is just a small touch on the lowest freqs and it works quite well, won´t overwhelm sound space) and source at no more than 24 out of 30
thrown the full sony a-866 contents playlist - 30GB which is about 40 wav cd rips of my collection and:

- for the first couple of hours not more than 50-60% of the total amp volume feed to earphones with no equalization
- the next 15 to 20 hours between 70-80% of the total
- the next 15 to 20 hours 80 to 90% of the total and a nudge of source equalization +3 out of 5 on all bands
- rounding up the last few couple or so hours back to 50-60% volume with a nudge up only on the lowest and highest source frequencies

Comparing to out of the box... these FXT.. you´re in for a treat.
I use either the factory medium tips or the (inverted works well) complys T500.

One of my regular sound tests for bass and mid bass is King Krimson´s (Red and Discipline) evidence on Tony Levin´s fret bass as well as Fripp´s full range and distorted guitars. Also Marillion´s Fugazi steps in a bit.
Bass and mid bass are now well rounded, punchy and extended enough with no obvious spilling, mids are tamed and nicer both on voices and instruments and treble has opened up and is clearer/not tiring. Yes this is not a BA type driver high frequency resolution solver but as it stands on the full range it has become a very nice and easier listening ear phone which does not resemble at all what it was at the beginning. I personally drop down a notch on the mid range eq but that´s my own preference.
With this in mind I´d say I straight on recommend the FXT90!

Talking of bass I´m a bit curious on the atrio mg7 which I never tried before and it´s not the easiest to source 2nd hand in europe. Anyone holding one and willing to trade/sell ? lolol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back