JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,211

Inks

An expert on his own opinion.
                Post#1: Background & Practical user information // Post#2: Buying Guide // Post#3: Impressions & Reviews
                                                  Background              
                                                                                      click on image for official site

After having some time with these, I have to say that I'm greatly impressed. These would have been extremely popular here had they been sold for ~100$ internationally, as that's their asking price in Japan. While they aren't as technically capable as the EX1000 or GR07, they are a great alternative for those looking for a more fun, colored sound. I will update this thread with any useful information I can gather from user feedback. 

My pair was on a loan tour, users who were involved are: Anaxilus, mvw2, shotgunshane, Tyll Hertsens, Joker. My general aim for this thread is to expand the popularity and share our thoughts on this IEM, as it's a great buy.

Technical Information:
The innovation of this IEM is the use of dual micro drivers both at 5.8mm in size. The "woofer" is made of carbon while the "tweeter" is made of carbon nano tubes. Despite the connotations, each driver contributes to every frequency region. No crossovers are involved and each driver overlaps against each other in their frequency output (see picture below). The carbon nano tube driver is specially capable as it has a better frequency range and is probably the most capable microdriver designed yet. Carbon nanotubes are said to be an ideal material for a driver's diaphragm as it's extremely hard, very light and flexible. 

In the second picture to your right JVC is proud enough to show and describe every component in this IEM. Components of note are the copper bronze base used to combine the two micro-drivers, stainless-steel housing and oxygen-free-copper cables. Unparalleled build for the price. 

(graph provided by InnerFidelity)
==========================================================================================================================================
                                                          Limited Edition Color Schemes

FXT90LTD (right) is a limited edition red color scheme of the FXT90. It is now sold out and unavailable. 

FXT90L2 (left) is a champagne color scheme, in celebration of JVC's merge with Kenwood. See this post for more info.
==========================================================================================================================================
                                            User Information

Recommended Tips: Monster Foam Supertips // Meelec Short Biflanges

Recommended Sources: Generally compatible with every portable source. Efficiency is quite high as well.  
                                              (graph provided by InnerFidelity)

This is an impedance graph and pretty much summarizes what kind of changes occur if impedance were to be added which occurs with your source. Previously I had recommended a source with low output impedance to avoid altering the sound but I find it's no longer necessary with this information in mind. The FXT90 won't change much with source, there can be a difference though, but it will just require the source to be of very high output impedance and even then the difference may be very slight. Changes are, a bit more roll-off on the subbass and more emphasis on the 3k region. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 2,211
                                           Buying Guide

[size=inherit]ito23082[/size] on ebay is the international seller with the lowest price. 132$ Link

Accessory Jack is currently the second cheapest international seller. 135$+10$[Shipping to the US]=145$. Link to FXT90 via AccessoryJack
(recommended due to their known warranty service)

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 2,211
Reviews & Impressions:

shotgunshane: Impressions (Compared to JVC FX700 & Vsonic GR07) / Comparison to FA Tandem / Comparison to GR07

joker: Review

Flysweep: lmpressions / Impressions / Comparison to DBA02 / Brief comparison to HJE900 / Impressions

EricP:  First Impressions Comparison to Radius DDM / Comparison to Xears N3 / GR07 Comparison

Takoyaki:  Review (Compared to ATH-CKM99 & Miles Davis Tributes) 

Cute: Impressions 

-y0-: Review (Compared to FA Tandem). 

i2ehan: GR07 Comparison

popejohnlaure: Impressions

SteveKiwi: Impressions

kckc: Impressions

mefxes: Atrio MG7 comparison  / Unboxing Video

DrGroove: Impressions 

Elladan: Impressions with DDM comparison

zest: Brainwavz B2 Comparison

Nulliverse: Brainwavz B2 Comparison / GR07 Comparison / GR07 Comparison 2 / FX700 Comparison

jiff: Impressions / Impressions

By Inks [coming soon] 

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 2,211
ebay sellers found. 2 of them. below $120

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Victor-inner-ear-headphone-HA-FXT90-/400228433912?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2f793ff8

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HA-FXT90-Black-Twin-Unit-Inner-Ear-Headphones-/130551476423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e657970c7

pretty good prices i'd say. really interested in these as my second IEMs.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 2,211

Quote:
ebay sellers found. 2 of them. below $120

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Victor-inner-ear-headphone-HA-FXT90-/400228433912?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2f793ff8

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HA-FXT90-Black-Twin-Unit-Inner-Ear-Headphones-/130551476423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e657970c7

pretty good prices i'd say. really interested in these as my second IEMs.

probably selling fakes, price is almost as cheap as in Japan wondering how they make money selling this on ebay
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 2,211

Quote:
probably selling fakes, price is almost as cheap as in Japan wondering how they make money selling this on ebay
confused_face%281%29.gif

I doubt they are fake.  These are probably too new to have fakes.  And besides, if amazon.jp is selling around $85, there's definitely money to be made from such ebay prices.
Anyway, I am still burning in mine.  But these are definitely not basshead IEMs, and no where close to the explosive sound of fx700.
And I am getting quite some driver flex - the stock large silicone tips seal my ears so well that I even get driver flex when pulling it out of my ear, and the tip is flipped inside out.  I think it's probably safer to use foam tips for me.
Btw, here's a Japanese price comparison site: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000240655/
I believe their brick & mortar stores are usually more expensive though.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 2,211

Quote:
I doubt they are fake.  These are probably too new to have fakes.  And besides, if amazon.jp is selling around $85, there's definitely money to be made from such ebay prices.
Anyway, I am still burning in mine.  But these are definitely not basshead IEMs, and no where close to the explosive sound of fx700.
And I am getting quite some driver flex - the stock large silicone tips seal my ears so well that I even get driver flex when pulling it out of my ear, and the tip is flipped inside out.  I think it's probably safer to use foam tips for me.
Btw, here's a Japanese price comparison site: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000240655/
I believe their brick & mortar stores are usually more expensive though.

pal. have you ever sold on ebay? this ebay sellers make pennies selling Fxt90 for 120US. I mean literally they make about 20$ max in profit after ebay and paypal fees and shipping..
and how many people actually ordered this from Japan?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 2,211

Seems like a workable margin to me if, in fact, you're dead on with your guess, especially without brick and mortar expenses. And if you read the listings, both of them say buyer pays shipping. Lets not vilify anyone yet, huh?

If someone is worried, they can try to get it from MusicaAcoustics like Inks said, but those two auction listings in no way scream obviously fake to me, especially given what they are said to be retailing for in Japan right now.
Quote:
pal. have you ever sold on ebay? this ebay sellers make pennies selling Fxt90 for 120US. I mean literally they make about 20$ max in profit after ebay and paypal fees and shipping..
and how many people actually ordered this from Japan?

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 2,211
Buying from Tenso is quite easy, just simply follow their buying guide. Basically you just have to register and once that's settled you'll get a Tenso address you can use. Then you can purchase the IEMs at Amazon.jp (which accepts cards from everywhere in the world). To buy from Amazon.jp you would have to use Google translator or a translator of your choice. Inputting information is actually quite easy with a translator, I only found the address to be quite tricky. Thankfully I found this which can be quite useful and gave me an easy of mind when it came to inputting the right address. Once Tenso receives your shipment they'll let you know via email and you can pay for the service then. For those countries with a high customs tax I would recommend inputting a low value on the item and maybe even have it send it as a gift (which you have a choice to do once you're paying for the Tenso service). The cost of the service for the FXT90s is 1990 yen (25$).

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 2,211

Quote:
Are these things like JVC Aircushions in the way they fit the ear or do they go into the canal like Etymotics? Or are they between?

Probably more like Air-cushions.  FXT90 don't insert very deep.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 2,211
Some people just get so paranoid like "OMG if it's on eBay it must be fakes it's the end of the world"

Anyway +1 Inks. Can't wait to see what Joker thinks of the FXT90. Time to dethrone EX600 and GR07 from FOTM.
L3000.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 2,211
The FXT90s will fit like the Aircushions, they're not a deep inserting IEM.

FXT90s sure need more attention, they're the most balanced "thick" dynamic IEM along side the GR07.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 2,211
Does anyone know how to get a replacement pouch? I lost mine (luckily the phones were in my ears!) on an airplane a few weeks ago. I also need the mesh inserts that sit between the rubber ear insert and the drivers - second from the left in this  picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back