JVC HA-FXD80 vs. MEElectronics A161P
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tman1

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone been able to listen to both of these, other than joker? Looking for more opinions comparing these two 'phones (dynamics, bass/mid/treble response, isolation, etc). I had the A161s but they have somehow disappeared along with my Walkman. Now I have a new Clip Zip and need new headphones for them. I liked the A161, especially the isolation, but would be willing to check out something else, perhaps with a bit more dynamics and/or soundstage, and the JVCs are in the same price range and have also gotten some great reviews. I mostly listen to rock ("indie" rock, hard rock, etc.).

How is the isolation of the JVCs? Also, Joker mentioned a somewhat recessed midrange. Has anyone else found that to be the case?

Please note that I need decent isolation due to using them on the subway so anything without decent isolation is a non-starter.

Any help is appreciated!

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Yeah, I have. Stick to the a161p. It has better isolation. The only pros the fxd80 has are the bigger soundstage and more prominent treble, which aren't enough to compensate for the recessed mids. You just won't truly enjoy rock this way coz it's all about the mids. Male vocals sound heaps and bounds better on the a161p. Also it has faster and tighter bass  and compared to it the fxd80 sounds bloated. The jvc is also relatively cold, which combined with the recessed mids is just a no go for rock. It's pretty hard to find anything to match the a161p performance in that price range and the fxd80 is just not equipped properly to match with it when it comes down to rock and metal music. It's a pretty good iem but not for that genre of music.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Yeah, I have. Stick to the a161p. It has better isolation. The only pros the fxd80 has are the bigger soundstage and more prominent treble, which aren't enough to compensate for the recessed mids. You just won't truly enjoy rock this way coz it's all about the mids. Male vocals sound heaps and bounds better on the a161p. Also it has faster and tighter bass  and compared to it the fxd80 sounds bloated. The jvc is also relatively cold, which combined with the recessed mids is just a no go for rock. It's pretty hard to find anything to match the a161p performance in that price range and the fxd80 is just not equipped properly to match with it when it comes down to rock and metal music. It's a pretty good iem but not for that genre of music.

VERY helpful. Thanks!!! Good to hear because I was ready to give the JVCs a shot. Off to order another set of A161s.

One day I will find a set with decent isolation, wide soundstage (I know those two are a tough combo), good build quality, clear midrange, and punchy but not bloated bass for under $100, but until then the A161s will do fine. I liked the Soundmagic PL50s but between their fragility and the great customer service of MEE I will still with the latter.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 12
Hey guys, thanks both for asking this question and for that insightful answer.

Now kova4a, being a rock fan myself, how do you think the MEElectronics A161P would compare to the HiFiMan RE-400 (if you listened to them by any chance) ? Anyone else ?

Thanks in advance !

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Sorry, I still haven't heard the re-400. According to joker the re-400 is smooth and has bigger soundstage than a161p, which will be different from the a161p's aggressive presentation and average soundstage due to it's a bit forward mids. But without hearing the re-400 myself I'll be just speculating and I hate making comparisons of things I haven't heard based on other member's reviews.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Sorry, I still haven't heard the re-400. According to joker the re-400 is smooth and has bigger soundstage than a161p, which will be different from the a161p's aggressive presentation and average soundstage due to it's a bit forward mids. But without hearing the re-400 myself I'll be just speculating and I hate making comparisons of things I haven't heard based on other member's reviews.

Thanks a lot already man !

Just another thing, would you consider the cable quality on the a161p an issue ? for how long have you had them ? how long do you think they will hold ?

Alsooes does the microphone has a good sound quality to your opinion ? is it well placed and not too heavy ?

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Well, it's not particularly an issue but it's on the thin side and can be microphonic. I've had mine for 6 months and is fine but I do take care of my iems and unlike some people I haven't had any cables breaking or anything on any of my iems. The mic has decent quality and is positioned well but because the cable picks up microphonics from my beard all that noise is heard by the person on the other side of the one, so I definitely wouldn't be jogging and talking on the phone at the same time.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Well, it's not particularly an issue but it's on the thin side and can be microphonic. I've had mine for 6 months and is fine but I do take care of my iems and unlike some people I haven't had any cables breaking or anything on any of my iems. The mic has decent quality and is positioned well but because the cable picks up microphonics from my beard all that noise is heard by the person on the other side of the one, so I definitely wouldn't be jogging and talking on the phone at the same time.

Thanks so much for the thorough answer and the reactivity ! Beard-induced microphonics now that's what I call some precision ! not something you can find in reviews xD

I also like to take care of my iems so hopefully the cable shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks man, I'm finally about to order my pair you got me sold !

Love from france :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm thinking of getting them from MEElectronics through Amazon UK for 76€ / 102$ against 80€ / 107$ from Amzon US. Cheaper and faster than from the US to France. Why the question ?

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Because meelec occasionally discounts it on their site and if you get lucky they might discount it in the coming months again. And then it's like 55 euro shipped to Europe but I have no idea if it will be discounted again soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back