JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Mar 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #107 of 578
Inks I'm messing with you.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #108 of 578
The 650 is very reasonably priced. If we can find any impressions confirming the lower bass levels, I'll probably pick it up.

Still shouldn't mind being able to hear the 850 some day. The 700 has always been one of the best big bass iems I've heard.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #110 of 578
   James what are you using as a source?

By the way,  I agree with you about the xba-H3, that is a dark earphone. 

I've tried several sources and bass is huge with all of them.

By the way, I'm still loving the H3 (no tape mod ....lol).

Then you'll love the FX850 too.

Try a vent mod James.

Will try on the weekend. I may end up drilling a front vent, lol :wink:

Still shouldn't mind being able to hear the 850 some day. The 700 has always been one of the best big bass iems I've heard.

There'll be a tour later this spring. Hope that Rin will be able to measure them by then.

Guys is the FX850 really a significant improvement over the FX700? Is it really worth the upgrade?

Stay tuned...

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #111 of 578
While I sympathize with axismundi's post overall, I can't help but disagree about transparency. Neither the FX700 nor the FX850 sound anywhere near transparent from a flat source. Of course they can be equalized or worn with a light seal, to bring them closer to neutrality.

We probably mean different things when we say "transparent". To me this is the opposite of "veiled", which is to say mostly that highs are well rendered and extended. FX850 are not flat, we agree on that - would be hard to ignore the boosted bass, as pleasant and competent as it may be.

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course they can be equalized or worn with a light seal, to bring them closer to neutrality. I just don't get it why that should be necessary with a flagship model, just like I didn't get it with the XBA-H3 and IE800.

Fair point and I think it's good that you brought this up. But then which IEM does not benefit from proper eq-ing? This can be a long discussion and I don't want to go offtopic, but having a competent amp and a good parametric eq, I simply can't help myself but just intervene and correct what needs to be corrected. Sure, a flagship such as IE800 needs just a few touches compared to the average IEM, but my point is that virtually any transducer needs some equalisation. And the same goes with ATH CK10 to pick one praised balanced armature IEM as another example. This is physics (and economics in the same time), I learned to live with it.

That's why I don't have any issues with FX850 requiring some eq (to my ears), and neither with XBA-H3 for that matter. Although it must be said that I don't like much the latter without eq, as opposed to FX850 which are still enjoyable as they come.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #112 of 578
  We probably mean different things when we say "transparent". To me this is the opposite of "veiled", which is to say mostly that highs are well rendered and extended. FX850 are not flat, we agree on that - would be hard to ignore the boosted bass, as pleasant and competent as it may be.

Guess you're right. To me, transparency not only implies clarity, but also an absence of major FR bumps and dips (i.e. coloring).

Fair point and I think it's good that you brought this up. But then which IEM does not benefit from proper eq-ing? This can be a long discussion and I don't want to go offtopic, but having a competent amp and a good parametric eq, I simply can't help myself but just intervene and correct what needs to be corrected. Sure, a flagship such as IE800 needs just a few touches compared to the average IEM, but my point is that virtually any transducer needs some equalisation. And the same goes with ATH CK10 to pick one praised balanced armature IEM as another example. This is physics (and economics in the same time), I learned to live with it.  
That's why I don't have any issues with FX850 requiring some eq (to my ears), and neither with XBA-H3 for that matter. Although it must be said that I don't like much the latter without eq, as opposed to FX850 which are still enjoyable as they come.

Fair point as well, but there's a slight difference in my book between a phone that benefits from EQing and one that requires EQing to spare me headaches.
wink.gif
  Your tolerance may of course vary...

That said, I really really love them with a light seal, Monster gel tips being the best choice so far. No doubt about it, these are keepers despite their bass-heavy stock tuning.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #113 of 578
FX850 vs. FX700 quick comparison

Found less time for listening than I thought this weekend, so here's just the essentials:

Bass: FX850 have more deep bass and a tad less midbass than the FX700, resulting in a more linear bass range and better perceived extension. FX850 hit even slightly harder overall, but have better damping and control, whereas the FX700 feel a tad more dynamic, but less controlled and more boomy. With a light seal, the FX850's bass remains quite linear with great extension and less obnoxious punch, reminding me of the excellent LCD-2 Rev2's low end.

Mids: FX850's mids are a touch more forward and fleshed out than the FX700's, resulting in better intelligibility and slightly more intimate vocals. As a result, perceived soundstage is a bit smaller than on the FX700. Mids are less affected by upper bass and sound a little less dry than on the FX700. Detail is insane and a step up from the FX700, reminding me of the IE800's mids resolution (probably my two favorite midranges ever). Awesome timbre, at least as good as on the FX700.

Highs: Little can be improved about the FX700's highs in my book. When I had the JH13 demo and compared it to my own IEMs, the FX700 were the only DD-based phones that could keep up in treble resolution (I didn't have the IE800 back then). And sure enough, this is the range that changed least from the FX700 to the FX850 imo. Though, after close listening, I believe the FX850 are raising the bar for detail resolution and refinement even a smidgen higher. Truly amazing.

Overall I'm highly pleased with the FX850's changes from the FX700, with the exception of bass quantity. But with a light seal, the FX850 sound nothing short of spectacular and at eye level with the best IEMs I've heard.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #114 of 578
Great stuff James. Like shotgunshame, I wonder if the 650 can keep up this performance but with a less prominent low end.

So here's a bit of an odd question, maybe, do you ever find that level of midrange resolution... distracting?

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #115 of 578
FYI drilling a front vent may result in a midrange resonance, so try at your own risk. Covering the back and doing a pinhole sounds like a great idea.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #116 of 578
Great stuff James. Like shotgunshame, I wonder if the 650 can keep up this performance but with a less prominent low end.

So here's a bit of an odd question, maybe, do you ever find that level of midrange resolution... distracting?

Thanks!  I wonder too, but will wait for someone else to answer that question.
wink.gif

It happens at times with (overly) analytical phones, but mostly BAs which tend to present detail more agressively imo. The FX850 sound still first and foremost holistic, despite their high resolving power.

FYI drilling a front vent may result in a midrange resonance, so try at your own risk. Covering the back and doing a pinhole sounds like a great idea.

I wasn't really serious about drilling...

Thing is, their bass sounds already quite heavily damped and blocking the back vents with my fingers made it hollow and lifeless. But I'll try the tape and pinhole next, thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #117 of 578
  FX850 vs. FX700 quick comparison

Found less time for listening than I thought this weekend, so here's just the essentials:

Bass: FX850 have more deep bass and a tad less midbass than the FX700, resulting in a more linear bass range and better perceived extension. FX850 hit even slightly harder overall, but have better damping and control, whereas the FX700 feel a tad more dynamic, but less controlled and more boomy. With a light seal, the FX850's bass remains quite linear with great extension and less obnoxious punch, reminding me of the excellent LCD-2 Rev2's low end.

Mids: FX850's mids are a touch more forward and fleshed out than the FX700's, resulting in better intelligibility and slightly more intimate vocals. As a result, perceived soundstage is a bit smaller than on the FX700. Mids are less affected by upper bass and sound a little less dry than on the FX700. Detail is insane and a step up from the FX700, reminding me of the IE800's mids resolution (probably my two favorite midranges ever). Awesome timbre, at least as good as on the FX700.

Highs: Little can be improved about the FX700's highs in my book. When I had the JH13 demo and compared it to my own IEMs, the FX700 were the only DD-based phones that could keep up in treble resolution (I didn't have the IE800 back then). And sure enough, this is the range that changed least from the FX700 to the FX850 imo. Though, after close listening, I believe the FX850 are raising the bar for detail resolution and refinement even a smidgen higher. Truly amazing.

Overall I'm highly pleased with the FX850's changes from the FX700, with the exception of bass quantity. But with a light seal, the FX850 sound nothing short of spectacular and at eye level with the best IEMs I've heard.

Oh man.
Now I want it!!!
Curious how they stack up against the big boys like the ASG-2 and 1plus2

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #118 of 578
FX850 "j444 mod"

You can find a new and improved version 2 of this mod here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329

So I've found an easy mod to attenuate the FX850's bass boost. The effect is comparable to adding a small front vent. As a result, the FX850's tonal balance becomes quite close to the K3003 with reference filters.

Step 1: Find some surplus tips made of thin silicone, e.g. Sony hybrid tips:

Step 2: Cut off a small stripe, about 1x7mm:

Step 3: This is the tricky part. Place the stripe alongside the nozzle, so that it protrudes about 1mm at the front end. Hold it carefully in place with your fingertip as you mount the silicone tip.

Step 4: Check the result - it should look like this from the outside.

Step 5: Check the result - it should look like this on the inside. Make sure that the stripe protrudes only a tiny bit at the edge of the nozzle, or else it will diffuse the sound.

Congrats, you've successfully completed the FX850 "j444 mod"!
smile_phones.gif

(If you don't have any surplus tips at hand or are simply too lazy to cut stripes, you can always order a pair of genuine high-end "j444" modding stripes from my website for only $99!
wink.gif
)

Edit #1: I thought it was obvious from the pics, but just for clarification: You need to cut the stripe off the cap, not the stem. The latter is too thick for this mod and will result in too much leakage.

Edit #2: If possible, use Ultimate Ears TF10 tips. JVC's stock tips are soft and comfy, but to my ears they introduce a tiny bit of detail blur. Has nothing to do with the mod, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back