JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #91 of 578
  I'd like to but I can't, I've never listened to IE80.

To be nasty and go a bit off-topic, I should say I never bothered trying IE80 after having briefly auditioned IE8, I couldn't simply put with their lack of highs and bloated mid-bass. In my mind I had written off Sennheiser IEMs for a long time, and that's why IE800 truly took me by surprise when I finally tried them.

IE80 sounds amazing to me, after burn-in it is very balanced.
The bass is only bloated if you tune it to the max - otherwise very well controlled and impactful.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #94 of 578
  I'm pretty confident the 850 will continue JVC's tradition of first rate timbre, just hope that they went easy on the bass with these.

They didn't.

Just got the FX850. With a light seal, they sound fantastic.
However, with a full seal, they're like a sledgehammer against the inside of your skull.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #97 of 578

They didn't.

However, with a full seal, they're like a sledgehammer against the inside of your skull.

Lol!

Sounds more like an endorsement - basshead approved! 
L3000.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #98 of 578
Lol- what I figured. Seems we have many undiagnosed bass heads. Hoping someone tries the 650 someday soon.

No, Dsnuts has admitted to being a basshead, So have I. But I believe there are audiophile bassheads (not you're a basshead or an audiophile). I enjoyed the FX700's bass just as much as I enjoyed the HF5, W4 or RE262. Dsnuts state the bass is there when needed. Then again, the 650 is suppose to be mids and highs focused. I should have my 850 by Monday or Tuesday.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #99 of 578

They didn't.

How does the bass (and sound signature in general) compare to the H3 from first listen? Dsnuts says the bass will smooth out with a good burn-in.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #100 of 578
One week later and my initial impressions are overall the same: fantastic highs, better mids than FX700 (i.e. not as recessed), lovely sound. Bass is indeed emphasised, a little too much even for my taste but very clear and does not bleed in the mids. However, depending on one's source and music genre, I can see how it can steal the show and obscure a bit the rest of the range. Keep in mind however that I nitpick here.

Mid-bass bump aside, bass is impressive - goes extremely low and is distortion free, has shattering impact and completes well the rest of the sound. A significant challenger from this point of view to XBA-H3. Which in my book is quite an achievement, I'm yet to hear better lows in an IEM than what XBA-H3 can deliver when properly tuned. As XBA-H3, FX850 greatly benefits from cutting a few dB from 110-120Hz as the rest of the spectrum has more space to shine

What JVC should be admired for with FX700/FX850 is that they managed to get a transparent sound and highs that extend to the sky, yet at no time (to my ears at least) the sound is harsh or sibilant - which, with all the praises that I have for IE800 and craving for its out of this world highs, Sennheiser did not manage to do.

Add to all this the "secret woody sauce" that gives the signature JVC timbre to their sound and we have a winner. Not the most accurate IEMs I listened to given the bass emphasis, but not that far either. And even arguably one of the king of universals such as IE800 does require eq-ing (to my ears at least), so I don't see why applying the same to FX850 would make them less worthy.

All in all, I love the FX850.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #101 of 578
  Dsnuts state the bass is there when needed.

True enough. The problem being that it's still there when not needed.
wink.gif

Joking aside, the FX850 are very very impressive IEMs apart from their ridiculous bass boost, easily among the best I've heard. It's too early to give a serious comparison to the FX700, though even without direct A/B (which I'm planning for the weekend), I feel that these are an improvement in several aspects. While I sympathize with axismundi's post overall, I can't help but disagree about transparency. Neither the FX700 nor the FX850 sound anywhere near transparent from a flat source. Of course they can be equalized or worn with a light seal, to bring them closer to neutrality. I just don't get it why that should be necessary with a flagship model, just like I didn't get it with the XBA-H3 and IE800.

That said, I'm somewhat less disappointed with the FX850 than with the XBA-H3 in that regard. While similarly boosted, the JVC's bass has better damping / control and more linear distribution across the low range.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #102 of 578
 James what are you using as a source?

By the way,  I agree with you about the xba-H3, that is a dark earphone. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #103 of 578

True enough. The problem being that it's still there when not needed.
wink.gif

Joking aside, the FX850 are very very impressive IEMs apart from their ridiculous bass boost, easily among the best I've heard. It's too early to give a serious comparison to the FX700, though even without direct A/B (which I'm planning for the weekend), I feel that these are an improvement in several aspects. While I sympathize with axismundi's post overall, I can't help but disagree about transparency. Neither the FX700 nor the FX850 sound anywhere near transparent from a flat source. Of course they can be equalized or worn with a light seal, to bring them closer to neutrality. I just don't get it why that should be necessary with a flagship model, just like I didn't get it with the XBA-H3 and IE800.

That said, I'm somewhat less disappointed with the FX850 than with the XBA-H3 in that regard. While similarly boosted, the JVC's bass has better damping / control and more linear distribution across the low range.

Thank you sir. I'm so excited! So I'll see mine early next week (hopefully). By the way, I'm still loving the H3 (no tape mod ....lol). But I'm also love the Heaven V and the TE-05. And I enjoy the RE-400 the rare times I put them in my ears. Yes, I'm all over the map!! LOL  .... Happy Listening.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #104 of 578
Try a vent mod James.

Bloated bass is bloated bass, there's no way around it.

I think the 750 and 650 shouldn't be overlooked, one May be better than the flagship.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #105 of 578
Try a vent mod James.

Bloated bass is bloated bass, there's no way around it.

I think the 750 and 650 shouldn't be overlooked, one May be better than the flagship.

I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back