JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Feb 7, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #91 of 780
I'm not an audiophile at all and have just started looking at phones to invest in. Previously I had the triplefi 10 with a lune cable for a few years until it got stolen 2 years ago and I haven't had the chance to get new phones until now. I was really interested in the fx850 after reading up on it and eventually came up these fw01s. I really loved the sound signature of the tf10s and am trying to find something thats "better" nowadays with more bass while still keeping the clarity so now I ended up here.
I have a budget of $500 and right now I only have my s7edge and work computer to play music out of. I am planning on investing in a good source and/or amp in the future.

Would these be a good start for my investment, and worth the $200 more than the fx850?

I listen to mainly movie soundtracks (hans zimmer and more), tv show soundtracks (game of thrones, doctor who, etc), hillsong, orchestral music, ballads, piano instrumentals, choral, Church hymns, and then various catchy songs across the genres.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #92 of 780
I have the fx850s and love them (they are pretty bass heavy so be forewarned), although they sound great off a smartphone, more power always improve most iems. If my only source was a smartphone (unless it's a HTC 10, V10 or V20), not sure I would drop $500 on iems. I think you can find a better price vs performance that also does not mind low amplification to sound good.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #93 of 780
I have the fx850s and love them (they are pretty bass heavy so be forewarned), although they sound great off a smartphone, more power always improve most iems. If my only source was a smartphone (unless it's a HTC 10, V10 or V20), not sure I would drop $500 on iems. I think you can find a better price vs performance that also does not mind low amplification to sound good.

That's what I was afraid of. I want something "high end" enough that I won't notice the lack of quality (anything not my triplefi10s back in the day that werent over $300 weren't good for me and I noticed the difference badly) but at the same time not to overkill my setup.

Would fx850s and an amp solve my problem? I was heavily leaning towards these and didn't see any cons or red flags for me. If yes, any amp you would recommend? The fx850s are 260 on amazon so that leaves me roughly 240 for an amp, or maybe Ill save up for a good compatible in the future.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #95 of 780
https://www.venturedirect.co.uk/collections/on-sale/products/jvc-ha-fw01-class-s-wood-series-in-ear-headphones?variant=36771999370

Is this site valid??Only 224£?

This is the search I came up with:https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.venturedirect.co.uk
It looks like if the item is difficult to source they sometimes have problems, but they also have happy customers :wink:

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #96 of 780
That's what I was afraid of. I want something "high end" enough that I won't notice the lack of quality (anything not my triplefi10s back in the day that werent over $300 weren't good for me and I noticed the difference badly) but at the same time not to overkill my setup.

Would fx850s and an amp solve my problem? I was heavily leaning towards these and didn't see any cons or red flags for me. If yes, any amp you would recommend? The fx850s are 260 on amazon so that leaves me roughly 240 for an amp, or maybe Ill save up for a good compatible in the future.

Have a look at the LZ A4 as well - a very solid choice for under $200 that competes with higher end IEMs. I would say my FX1100 is slightly more fun, but perhaps the A4 is more "hifi" for lack of a better word. 

-Collin-

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #97 of 780
They sound great off any source to my ears, but they do come alive with a better source. I was more so trying to give you feedback on the bass heavy nature, which may be counter to your music choices.

What about the ibasso ito3?

I spent the last few days reading the entire thread on these and really interested +1.  With that said, I now want to invest in a DAP.  Do you know the difference in sound signagure between these and fw01.  Somehow Im attracted to both but I havent heard anything this end of thre spectrum to know anything.  

Have a look at the LZ A4 as well - a very solid choice for under $200 that competes with higher end IEMs. I would say my FX1100 is slightly more fun, but perhaps the A4 is more "hifi" for lack of a better word. 

-Collin-

Thanks for the suggestion.  I read some comparison reviewd and the it03 seem more to my liking between the 2.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #98 of 780
IT03 are bright iems,with a good punchy bass, FW01 are darker, smoother with a bigger bass (body and sub bass is deeper),bigger image with mid coloration.
IT03 are  real steal in the Iems world, if you are not treble sensitive, the IT03 is a good choice.
If you read Twister reviews on the IT03, that spots on, except that I've found IT03 very bright (I am treble sensitive though)

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #99 of 780
Hi guys, compared to Raidus HP-TWF31, can be an upgrade trading them for the FW01?
i use a balanced cable with Onkyo DP-X1

i listen mainly from '70s hard rock to modern heavy metal

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #100 of 780
I tried the FW01 today in Japan, it had nice timbre and headstage but way too v-shaped for my taste. For classical music it was ok but anything with vocal i found mids too recessed. Maybe this sentiment was little more pronounced as i checked out the etymotic ER4XR (almost bought) just before.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #101 of 780
I tried the FW01 today in Japan, it had nice timbre and headstage but way too v-shaped for my taste. For classical music it was ok but anything with vocal i found mids too recessed. Maybe this sentiment was little more pronounced as i checked out the etymotic ER4XR (almost bought) just before.

Have you tried the 1More Triple's aswell?

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #102 of 780
Have you tried the 1More Triple's aswell?

Yes! To me, it sounded somewhat honky, dark and lacked resolution. Took only few minutes before I moved on to the next. Not sure what's up with all the hype surrounding it. P1 or IT03 (albeit more $) are much better option I felt.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #103 of 780
Yes! To me, it sounded somewhat honky, dark and lacked resolution. Took only few minutes before I moved on to the next. Not sure what's up with all the hype surrounding it. P1 or IT03 (albeit more $) are much better option I felt.

Interesting, I found the exact opposite of them during testing.

I find that the seal makes a big difference and their isolation isn't the best so the ambient noise makes a decent difference aswell.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #104 of 780
Does anyone know how one can purchase spare parts for JVC IEM? My wooden stabilizer part of the FW01 has fallen of somewhere and I just have no idea how it could have happened. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #105 of 780
  Does anyone know how one can purchase spare parts for JVC IEM? My wooden stabilizer part of the FW01 has fallen of somewhere and I just have no idea how it could have happened. 

This may be a warranty issue ... I would check with your seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back