JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #346 of 428
Oh, now I realized the FD01 is full metallic shell as well.

Well, my previous experience with Moondrop Kanas Pro and Tanchjim Oxygen (full-metallic shell) was a bit problematic due to an annoying issue with moisture and might for living in a high-humidity area. Basically, it's the ear moisture slowly starts building up onto the filter and at some point when using it for hours you perceive a side getting quieter because the filter gets kinda clogged (example). To fix it you need to put it to sit for a few minutes so it can dry out and then you can use it again without imbalance issues -- in Kanas Pro's case, it was a bit worse and just silica gel or cleaning the filter would fix this issue.

So has anyone got something similar on FD01? The FD1X seems to be my next purchase and now I'm kinda intrigued since every full metallic IEM showed this issue. Even though I liked those IEMs this issue made them pointless to my usage, I mean I just want to wear an IEM and forget about everything, if I need to bother about it, then it's pointless.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #347 of 428

Well, my previous experience with Moondrop Kanas Pro and Tanchjim Oxygen (full-metallic shell) was a bit problematic due to an annoying issue with moisture and might for living in a high-humidity area. Basically, it's the ear moisture slowly starts building up onto the filter and at some point when using it for hours you perceive a side getting quieter because the filter gets kinda clogged (example). To fix it you need to put it to sit for a few minutes so it can dry out and then you can use it again without imbalance issues -- in Kanas Pro's case, it was a bit worse and just silica gel or cleaning the filter would fix this issue.

So has anyone got something similar on FD01? The FD1X seems to be my next purchase and now I'm kinda intrigued since every full metallic IEM showed this issue. Even though I liked those IEMs this issue made them pointless to my usage, I mean I just want to wear an IEM and forget about everything, if I need to bother about it, then it's pointless.

Sorry to say, but if you live in a high-humidity environment, you'll probably have the same issues. However, the FD01s do come with 3 sets of nozzles, so theoretically, if one set gets too wet, you can swap out a different set in under 30 seconds. Not sure if the Drop version will provide multiple sets of nozzles, but if it does, it might work out for you.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #348 of 428

I'm often wearing this for a few hours at once and hasn't had a moisture issue. When I'm wearing CA Nova, I can notice some moisture in the nozzle after wearing it for a while.

Note that this isn't an IEM with tight seal, so the inner ear has some breathing room and you don't feel like being in vacuum.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #349 of 428
Note that this isn't an IEM with tight seal, so the inner ear has some breathing room and you don't feel like being in vacuum.

+1, the JVCs are front-vented, which means there's equal pressure between ear canal and outside.

Also, the damping filters in two pairs of the FDX1's nozzles should alleviate the risk of moisture condensation. And if all else fails, one could remove the front mesh from the third (undamped) pair of nozzles and build a DIY damping filter.

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #351 of 428
Hey guys,

Curious of a side by side with these and Sony XBA Z5, which I love. Drop also has a new JVC with 3 nozzle options. Anyone know how that compares to HA FD02?

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #352 of 428
Hey guys,

Curious of a side by side with these and Sony XBA Z5, which I love. Drop also has a new JVC with 3 nozzle options. Anyone know how that compares to HA FD02?
I’ve only heard the Z5 briefly and remember a strong bass and sparkly highs, I liked it, and even considered buying it. Trying to go by memory the FD02 is smoother, a bit more even and coherent (1DD). I guess the bigger difference should be in the treble, where the FD02 is silky smooth, the Z5 more sparkly.

FD02 vs FDX1 is a no brainer, the FDX1 makes much more sense, 3 tunings and a better cable, and easier to tune the empty nozzle for just a little more money.

But I’d not consider the FDX1 an upgrade to the Z5, rather a quite different flavor, and IMO it would make sense to own both.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #353 of 428
I’ve only heard the Z5 briefly and remember a strong bass and sparkly highs, I liked it, and even considered buying it. Trying to go by memory the FD02 is smoother, a bit more even and coherent (1DD). I guess the bigger difference should be in the treble, where the FD02 is silky smooth, the Z5 more sparkly.

FD02 vs FDX1 is a no brainer, the FDX1 makes much more sense, 3 tunings and a better cable, and easier to tune the empty nozzle for just a little more.

But I’d not consider the FDX1 an upgrade to the Z5, rather a quite different flavor, and IMO it would make sense to own both.

+1

Z5 is warmer with more bass punch. FDX1 has tighter, more controlled mid/upper bass. And I concur that DD treble of the FDX1 is smoother than BA treble of the Z5.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #357 of 428
I see that the drop have sold out of the jvc iem. Are the non drop JVC HA-FD01 a good purchase?

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #360 of 428
Also to note, this was for the pre-order and once production starts on them, they should be back at the $280 price as I understand.
Just received mine from Amazon Japan yesterday, the final cost is $256.51
(choose to pay in JPY, not USD.)
I didn't go with Drop, because it uses same material for all 3 type of nozzles,
and per my understanding, material of nozzle is one of the factor of sound tuning.

I had a quick listen, and right out of box, this IEM has hash treble, but bass, clarity, sound stage are good.
Overall, it is pleasant sounding.
Hopefully, it will improve after a while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back