JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #316 of 428
When you buying the fd01
It's not on my list, and I wouldn't know why it would beat the FD02. Same driver, same shell, only the driver cage is different and the cable.
What difference could I expect?

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #317 of 428
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #318 of 428
The most comprehensive analysis I have seen about the modded FD01, by one of the most experienced voices on head-fi (IMO)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...s-on-iems-hiatus.895832/page-35#post-15038793

I mostly concur with it, except for this part:
What's the catch with modding? The FD01's treble extension also gets damped as a result, leading to not-so-great extension. It rolls off.

That's not what my own ears and measurements tell me. Unless you overdo the mod and damp them to (treble-)death
9jpx3U3.png
, their post-mod highs are still among the best extended I've seen in IEMs.

(blue = stock, green = modded)
j6E1aYd.jpg
[/size]

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #319 of 428

That's not what my own ears and measurements tell me. Unless you overdo the mod and damp them to (treble-)death
9jpx3U3.png

j6E1aYd.jpg
[/size]

Graphs are unreliable past 10k, and thats with industry standard rigs. Treble extension to me is treble past 10Khz which I dont hear that much of after the mod. Yes it does have more extension than say, EX800ST but still not enough for my standards of being well extended. Something well extended in example is M9, Z1R and Solaris. I've not yet heard a single DD that can reach treble extension that deep. I'm using 14mm swabs right now and I find that 12mm is a bit too harsh for me. I'll try a 13mm one today. But really, it's not the treble extension thats an issue for me. It's the unique and rather unnatural sounding timbre (my opinion) when compared against to the likes of ex800st and mg5hx as well as its limited dynamics.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #320 of 428
Graphs are unreliable past 10k, and thats with industry standard rigs. Treble extension to me is treble past 10Khz which I dont hear that much of after the mod. Yes it does have more extension than say, EX800ST but still not enough for my standards of being well extended. Something well extended in example is M9, Z1R and Solaris. I've not yet heard a single DD that can reach treble extension that deep. I'm using 14mm swabs right now and I find that 12mm is a bit too harsh for me. I'll try a 13mm one today. But really, it's not the treble extension thats an issue for me. It's the unique and rather unnatural sounding timbre (my opinion) when compared against to the likes of ex800st and mg5hx as well as its limited dynamics.

Well, I of course respect your opinion, but beg to differ in that regard. Measurements may be unreliable past 10kHz on an absolute scale, however I've found them sufficiently reliable on my rig for relative comparisons. It's particularly easy to test that with the FD01, since they come with three pairs of interchangeable nozzles. I can apply different acoustic damping to each pair of nozzles, swap back and forth, remeasure and confirm that graphs reflect changes in treble damping in a consistent and repeatable manner (as long as seal and insertion depth are kept the same). Again, for relative comparisons, I find my rig pretty reliable and useful.

So, personally I wouldn't call the mod's ironed-out 10dB spike in high-treble a roll off, but I have no problem accepting that your standards are different. If you want to try a single DD with similar high-treble presence to the M9, Z1R and Solaris, check out the Sennheiser IE800. For me, those are a bit too treble-happy, but they might just float your boat. I for my part find the modded FD01's high-mids presence still a tad too much, but I'm entirely happy with treble as it is.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #321 of 428

9jpx3U3.png

j6E1aYd.jpg
[/size]
I'm still amazed at how well this mod works! I was so bummed when I first got the FD01 with it lacking bass and too much treble and I did not think a mod would make it much better. Very easy to do and the results are amazing. Thank you @james444

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #323 of 428
It's time for a quick update!
I've now had the AK T8iE MKII for a few months and have built a clear opinion on my 3 IEMs.

The T8iE is certainly the winner in terms of SQ, it just has tremendous resolution and clarity, great soundstage, speed, texture, dynamics etc.
Neither the EX800ST nor the FD02 can keep up with it. But I find it a little tricky to get a good seal, and it's extremely sensitive to it!
Being a fully sealed DD IEM its bass output varies a lot with seal. I use it with the original AK tips and Spinfits.
The Spinfits seal extremely well and give it a bass boost, which works with some music but can be too much with other.
With the original tips the sound is much more balanced, with emphasis on the mids but still warm and solid bass.
Transparency, resolution and clarity are always really, really good. Changing to the T8iE after listening to the EX800 or the FD02 is like lifting a blanket from the sound that had muffled it.

The FD02 and EX800ST are a clear step down from those qualities of the T8iE, but I still enjoy both.
The FD02 is the smooth and fun IEM, super robust, my choice for listening on the move.
The EX800 I use the least, but I feel it to be the most honest, flat of the three, albeit without the speed and resolution of the T8iE.

The EX800 to FD02 comparison is really interesting, because I really think technically the EX800 is slightly ahead, but I still get more joy out of listening to the FD02.

So the FD02 is after all not a TOTL killer, but I feel it's a great option if you are willing to tinker with it and if you are looking for an energetic, fun and smooth sounding IEM.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #324 of 428
Hi George:
Thanks for the update and comparison!

I'm not surprised that IEMs costing many times more would sound better than the FD02s. I'm still perfectly content with my FD01s. They aren't the fastest IEMs, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of them, in the same way that my enjoyment of driving a roadster on the open highway isn't diminished by knowing that faster cars exist that cost many times more.

Thanks again for recommending the FD01/02s to me.
D

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #325 of 428
It's time for a quick update!
I've now had the AK T8iE MKII for a few months and have built a clear opinion on my 3 IEMs.

The T8iE is certainly the winner in terms of SQ, it just has tremendous resolution and clarity, great soundstage, speed, texture, dynamics etc.
Neither the EX800ST nor the FD02 can keep up with it. But I find it a little tricky to get a good seal, and it's extremely sensitive to it!
Being a fully sealed DD IEM its bass output varies a lot with seal. I use it with the original AK tips and Spinfits.
The Spinfits seal extremely well and give it a bass boost, which works with some music but can be too much with other.
With the original tips the sound is much more balanced, with emphasis on the mids but still warm and solid bass.
Transparency, resolution and clarity are always really, really good. Changing to the T8iE after listening to the EX800 or the FD02 is like lifting a blanket from the sound that had muffled it.

The FD02 and EX800ST are a clear step down from those qualities of the T8iE, but I still enjoy both.
The FD02 is the smooth and fun IEM, super robust, my choice for listening on the move.
The EX800 I use the least, but I feel it to be the most honest, flat of the three, albeit without the speed and resolution of the T8iE.

The EX800 to FD02 comparison is really interesting, because I really think technically the EX800 is slightly ahead, but I still get more joy out of listening to the FD02.

So the FD02 is after all not a TOTL killer, but I feel it's a great option if you are willing to tinker with it and if you are looking for an energetic, fun and smooth sounding IEM.

Interesting comparison, thanks! Tbh, I had the Beyerdynamic Xelentos some time back, but wasn't very impressed and returned them.

Tunings of the AK T8iE MKI, AK T8iE MKII and Xelentos are said to be slightly different though...

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #326 of 428
Hi George:
Thanks for the update and comparison!

I'm not surprised that IEMs costing many times more would sound better than the FD02s. I'm still perfectly content with my FD01s. They aren't the fastest IEMs, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of them, in the same way that my enjoyment of driving a roadster on the open highway isn't diminished by knowing that faster cars exist that cost many times more.

Thanks again for recommending the FD01/02s to me.
D

It's really nice to hear that you are enjoying your FD01s! I fully agree, the comparison with a $1200 IEM is not really a fair one, but the fact that I found them at $550 used made it possible for me to buy and compare the two.
And I fully agree with you that they are tremendously enjoyable! Even the roadster comparison makes a lot of sense to me - they are fun, have oomph and are smoooth! That perfectly fits the image of driving a roadster on a US highway.
Not the power, speed and refinement of a supercar, but loads of fun!

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #327 of 428
Interesting comparison, thanks! Tbh, I had the Beyerdynamic Xelentos some time back, but wasn't very impressed and returned them.

Tunings of the AK T8iE MKI, AK T8iE MKII and Xelentos are said to be slightly different though...

I have to say that this surprises me, I do think the T8iE MKII is really good. MKI seems to have been a bit bass heavy, and the MKII can be with the Spinfit tips, but with the original tips it's a really refined sound IMO.
Do you remember what you didn't like? Was it signature or technicalities? I feel the signature is really a matter of preference, technicalities maybe less so.
For reference - I do all listening with the Mojo.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #328 of 428
I have to say that this surprises me, I do think the T8iE MKII is really good. MKI seems to have been a bit bass heavy, and the MKII can be with the Spinfit tips, but with the original tips it's a really refined sound IMO.
Do you remember what you didn't like? Was it signature or technicalities? I feel the signature is really a matter of preference, technicalities maybe less so.
For reference - I do all listening with the Mojo.

Note that I did not yet have my modded FD01 back when I bought the Xelentos. But I think a comparison of crinacle's measurements illustrates my gripes with the latter quite well. Basically, they were too v-shaped for me. I felt bass was a bit too obtrusive, even though it didn't cloud the midrange. And treble was too uneven and thin sounding, even though that conveyed the (false) impression of very high resolution. Overall, I wasn't particularly fond of the timbre and I didn't feel like starting to mod a pair of €1000 IEMs... so I returned them. In hindsight, it was the right decision, because the modded FD01 suit my needs better for roughly 1/3 of the Xelento's price.

graph.png

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #329 of 428
Note that I did not yet have my modded FD01 back when I bought the Xelentos. But I think a comparison of crinacle's measurements illustrates my gripes with the latter quite well. Basically, they were too v-shaped for me. I felt bass was a bit too obtrusive, even though it didn't cloud the midrange. And treble was too uneven and thin sounding, even though that conveyed the (false) impression of very high resolution. Overall, I wasn't particularly fond of the timbre and I didn't feel like starting to mod a pair of €1000 IEMs... so I returned them. In hindsight, it was the right decision, because the modded FD01 suit my needs better for roughly 1/3 of the Xelento's price.

Wow - thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply @james444 !
Too much bass was also my concern with the T8iE, but I have to say that with the original tips the MKII sound pretty balanced to me - they have a bit more mid bass but actually less sub bass compared to the modded FD02.
Sometimes I miss that sub-bass then I use the spin fits which make them pretty bassy!

I did not find a lot of information about the differences between T8iE MKI and MKII, but I did find the measurements of one community member who measured a number of samples and averaged the results in this graph:
T8iE MK1 vs MKII_2.png

I don't want to read too much into these graphs but they seem to kind of match my impression with the stock tips.
Quite balanced with solid mid bass and a drop in sub bass, less pronounced upper mids and a little more sparkly and spiky in the treble but still very well behaved.

The FD02 sounds smoother, more V-shaped with that full sub bass and elevated mids, topped off by smooooth treble.

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #330 of 428
Drop is working on a JVC HA-FX01 IEM - DUAL CARBON IEM
https://drop.com/buy/drop-jvc-ha-fdx1-dual-carbon-iem/story?
«PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Based on the Japan-exclusive JVC HA-FD01 IEM, the JVC HA-FDX1 features the same 11-millimeter dynamic driver with some community-requested changes to further improve this much-loved IEM.»

Users who are viewing this thread

Back