JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #46 of 428
I own the Dorado's and love them immensely. I was considering the FD01, but can you articulate the comparison with the FD02 to the Dorado nonetheless?

The major difference is that Dorado is more V-shaped than FD02. The presence of bass is stronger in Dorado than FD02, the presence of vocal of Dorado is more recess than FD 02. The high on FD 02 is cleaner, more open, while Dorado has a bit more detail but is also harsher. In terms of headroom they are similar, both moderate (FD02 actually feels somewhat better but I think that is because I wear Dorado more deeply.) Both separation are very good. That's about what I can think of right now. But if you own Dorado and love them so much, why would you consider something else in the first place?

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #48 of 428
Hi all,

After 50 odd hours of burn in and listening. Bass has changed. It is more forward, and more impactful but still tight and very accurate. It is a deep articulate bass, with just the good rumble and speed. And i find using bass boost rarely now. This a very different bass than fw01 albeight very enjoyable.

I also find that with tracks thay can sound muddy or with too much body with fw01 sound fantastic with the fd01. Glad i have both. Fd01 is fantastic well across most genres of music ive tried but i was especially impressed with rock and rap, where the clarity allows me to feel the intensity and anger of the rapper (eminem spitting and almost popping a vein). The attack of overlapping multiple electric guitars was portrayed with absolutely control..just crazy good layering and clarity.

The mid, vocals and treble at this stage of burn in. i still think is as precise as ever, still very immersive. however i notice the exceptional clean and black background helps with seperation and definition of tone on each singer or instrument.

I will also say over ear seals better, that rotating nozzle is just genius. Isolation is better than fw01 because vents are smaller i guess.

Couldnt be happier with my purchase. Hats off to JVC for continuously improving the iems. This is my 4th jvc iem.
I am really serious to have these babies , waiting for your full review or more detailed impressions with all 3 nozzles ,

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #49 of 428
I am really serious to have these babies , waiting for your full review or more detailed impressions with all 3 nozzles ,

Its past 150 plus hours of use and burn in. I didnt notice any more change between 100hrs and 150hrs..maybe this is as good as it gets..grain of salt needed cuz i don't have golden ears, so i am sure there are others who can tell the difference.

I have moved on to the stainless steel nozzle. So far with this state of use. Brass nozzle the vocals are more blended in with the rest of the music, lower mids are richer, with less definition on upper mids. Bass also impact slightly more bass reverb. For stainless...bass reverb is good but faster, lower mids have clear sepeartion from bass, vocals are not super forward, just more separated with better grain. Upper mids also have better attack, treble has more sparkle.

These are small differences, that i could not AB test...it was only listening to SS nozzle for a few days and going back to brass then i could hear the difference. Doing quick switch i could not tell as much.

The nozzles do not change the character of the iem at all. The fd01 remains highly detailed and brilliant, just a choice of slight changes in tonality and damping. I have touched all genres of music that i have now with the fd01, and i cannot name one genre that didnt put a smile to my face. And i notice i skip tracks alot less.

Cheers

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #50 of 428
But if you own Dorado and love them so much, why would you consider something else in the first place?

Thanks for the review. That's helpful. As for your question, two responses:
1. I was happy with the PFE232's but it was missing the warmth and 3D sound of the Legend Omegas and I didn't know it until I bought the Omegas. I was happy with the Omegas, but it was missing the juicy bass and I didn't know it until I got the Dorado's. I have many such occurrences, but I'm curious to know if the FD01 may have something I really like, but I don't know it yet. I loved the timbre of the FX850 as well as the lively bass, so when JVC comes out with a possible "upgrade," I'm naturally curious.
2. You must not be familiar with Audiophile OCD. Its symptoms often include the seemingly irrational hoarding of too many headphones, eartips, amps, and cables.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-16_21-54-30.png
    upload_2018-1-16_21-54-30.png
    139 bytes · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #51 of 428
Its past 150 plus hours of use and burn in. I didnt notice any more change between 100hrs and 150hrs..maybe this is as good as it gets..grain of salt needed cuz i don't have golden ears, so i am sure there are others who can tell the difference.

I have moved on to the stainless steel nozzle. So far with this state of use. Brass nozzle the vocals are more blended in with the rest of the music, lower mids are richer, with less definition on upper mids. Bass also impact slightly more bass reverb. For stainless...bass reverb is good but faster, lower mids have clear sepeartion from bass, vocals are not super forward, just more separated with better grain. Upper mids also have better attack, treble has more sparkle.

These are small differences, that i could not AB test...it was only listening to SS nozzle for a few days and going back to brass then i could hear the difference. Doing quick switch i could not tell as much.

The nozzles do not change the character of the iem at all. The fd01 remains highly detailed and brilliant, just a choice of slight changes in tonality and damping. I have touched all genres of music that i have now with the fd01, and i cannot name one genre that didnt put a smile to my face. And i notice i skip tracks alot less.

Cheers
Thank you very much , it's really helpful , unfortunately they are currently out of stock on amazon japan and they also increase the price to 43,500 yen ,
Please can you also tell me about the depth and height of soundstage ( height/tall soundstage is very important for me)

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #52 of 428
Thank you very much , it's really helpful , unfortunately they are currently out of stock on amazon japan and they also increase the price to 43,500 yen ,
Please can you also tell me about the depth and height of soundstage ( height/tall soundstage is very important for me)
Maybe due to high demand, price has increased and no stock. Stage height is eyebrow level consistently which means pretty balanced imo. Lower than fw01. However i will add..and maybe its just me. The stable eyebrow level stage is due to a more balanced bass response compared to woodies even tho the fd01 still has excellent bass. An iem with strong bass imo tends to have higher stage height..that has been my experience. Fd01 however has wide sounstage and very good sense of distance 3D space..

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #54 of 428
Maybe due to high demand, price has increased and no stock. Stage height is eyebrow level consistently which means pretty balanced imo. Lower than fw01. However i will add..and maybe its just me. The stable eyebrow level stage is due to a more balanced bass response compared to woodies even tho the fd01 still has excellent bass. An iem with strong bass imo tends to have higher stage height..that has been my experience. Fd01 however has wide sounstage and very good sense of distance 3D space..
Thank you very much it is very clear now,

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #55 of 428
Hi Guys,
First of all, really psyched about these JVCs.
I have a question to the experts here. Being detatchable cables, can't we just switch the wires and do over-ears anyway. ? is there any loss of clarity or cohesion if we use the right earpiece with the left-wire ?
My question is, is the rotating nozzle "really" needed ?
And, has anyone measured these yet. ? I need the graph before i take the plunge! Would love to see some direct comparisons with the CKR100 ?
Thanks, guys, keep the impressions coming!

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #59 of 428
Hi Guys,
First of all, really psyched about these JVCs.
I have a question to the experts here. Being detatchable cables, can't we just switch the wires and do over-ears anyway. ? is there any loss of clarity or cohesion if we use the right earpiece with the left-wire ?
My question is, is the rotating nozzle "really" needed ?
And, has anyone measured these yet. ? I need the graph before i take the plunge! Would love to see some direct comparisons with the CKR100 ?
Thanks, guys, keep the impressions coming!

So, what is the issue really.:) I can see "can't we do this anyway" for something that adds to the cost or that one model has over another. Since both FD models have it and I doubt the price would be any different if they had been the same as they are but w/o the rotating nozzle not sure it makes any difference. I would say it is faster than swapping and MMCX isn't the most trouble free so it is a cool idea. Perhaps you can even do it while still in the ear which would obviously be impossible if you had to swap sides.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #60 of 428
No issue at all. I think it's a great selling point, and i love the idea. I just suspected that changing the earpieces (back and forth) might affect the sound for some reason, and wanted to clarify this point. So, from your response i see it's not a matter of concern :)
I knew it was a silly question before i asked. But i wanted to confirm anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back