JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Feb 2, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #391 of 428
I just noticed that Drop has the HA-FD01 at $225 (HA-FDX1 at $250), and the price on the HA-FW01 at $240.

JVC USA sent out a press release at the beginning of the month that they are now officially bringing these two models to the US market with retails of $329 for the FW01 and $299 for the FD01.

I own the FW01 and will be buying the FD01, both of which I wrote reviews on. Regarding modding my FD01, pretty easy to do. I hope this news wasn’t already announced on this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #392 of 428
Following up a previous post about modding the FD02 by sticking a disk of 3M MP tape to the mesh inside the nozzle I have given it another try - and this time the result is good and should be easily reproducible. I cut the 5mm disk with a pair of leather hole punching pliers (biggest hole) and made a 2,5mm hole at the edge of the disk. To make this easier, I stuck a piece of MP tape to the backing paper of a sticker. That way it's easier to cut the disk and hole. Applying the disk worked well with some needle nose pincers.

Since there's a rim on which the mesh is mounted inside the nozzle, the effective hole is a bit smaller as can be seen in the photo. This size gives the right amount of damping for my taste.
The frequency reponse is slightly different compared to the front mounted MP tape, but this is easier to do (if you have the tools) and I could honestly not say if one is better than the other. And now tip rolling becomes possible without having to worry about changing the damping effect! :ksc75smile:

3D85F5B3-138F-4A39-B69F-E17B3DA151F2.jpeg

EDIT:
Added the measurements:
R0: unmodded
R1: Old mod with tape on nozzle tip
R3: New mod with tape on nozzle mesh

CBF5818A-E6D6-4A97-A1CC-234BBE52ECB5.png

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #393 of 428
I recently ordered regular EP-FX9L and ++ EP-FX10 Spiral Dots from Japan, since I need ML size which is not included with the FD02.
I first tried the regular one and it fit well, with slight discomfort from pressure against my concha, so after a few days I switched to the ++ version.
I didn't expect a difference in SQ, but immediately thought there was added clarity, better sparkle and a more open sound. I was really surprised and switched back and forth a few times, which seemed to confirm my initial impression.

Did anyone else have a similar impression?

Other than SQ, the ++ version is extremely comfortable.
It almost feels a little bit like memory foam in the sense that I feel it adapts to the ear. No more discomfort.

The ++ is quite expensive at 2.300Y for 2 pairs vs 1000Y for 3 pairs of the regular Spiral Dots but SQ and comfort justify the price IMO.

PS: ordered from Amazon Japan, expensive, but shipped incredibly fast, received in central Europe 4 days after order placement.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #394 of 428
I just spent an hour listening to my modded FD02, the Sony EX1000 and A&K T8iE MKII, listening to classic, Buena Vista Social Club, vocals and percussion.Since these impressions might be of interest I'd like to share them here.
I listened through the Mojo first, then directly from the iPad.

With Chord Mojo:
I am not sure if there’s really much difference in detail, but there is a significant difference in clarity, which makes the detail stand out more.
The frequency response also seems to have an influence on the perceived clarity, like with “Chan chan” the FD02 makes the 2 vocal tracks most clearly audible, since it elevates the mids more than the others. Overall, in terms of clarity and openness the EX1K is best, followed closely by the T8iE, the FD02 is a little behind both of them.
It’s like the difference between open and closed headphones. EX1k = open, FD02 = closed. This also goes along with soundstage, where the EX1k has the widest, the T8iE still very wide with better depth and excellent positioning, the soundstage of the FD02 is quite good, but neiter as wide as the EX1k nor as precise or deep as the T8iE.
Another difference with the Mojo is dynamics, the attack, energy and punch, especially clear with classics. Here, the EX1k is in a class of it’s own, really impressive how effortlesly it seems to move large amounts of air. T8iE has sparkly highs and is also quite fast and powerful in the bass, but does not have the authority of the EX1k. The FD02 has slam and ooompf, but again the closed headphone feeling, a little slower and slightly rounder. Still good, but T8iE is a little better, EX1k a lot.
Nevertheless the FD02 is very enjoyable and after 1 minute I just enjoy, maybe even more so than with the others.

straight from the iPad:
now that was interesting.
The EX1k lost it’s “Mojo” (pun intended). The clarity and dynamics are nowhere near the level as with the Chord DAC.
The T8iE comes out on top, with a good, lively and authoritative and slightly fun signature, seemingly easy to drive, retaining a good part of the clarity and detail, but a bit more mellow compared to listening through the Mojo.
The FD02 also does very well with the iPad, stays punchy and clear, the elevated sub bass and mids bring punch and forward detail.
I feel it does not lose much of it’s signature, just doesn’t have the Mojo magic available, that liveliness, detail, soundstage and live feeling.

With all that said, the one IEM I grab most of the time is the FD02.
Both EX1k and T8iE are more intense to listen to, with the FD02 I simply enjoy, and I never really miss anything. Sometimes I wish for a different signature, but that’s another thing. And I have been thinking a few times if I should sell the T8iE because it is sitting somewhere between the EX1k and the FD02, but I never thought of selling the FD02.

All said and done, even after a year I think the JVC FD02 is a great allrounder and the best deal I have come across.

(P.S.: What I didn't mention here is that the EX1000 does have the well known spiky treble, and depending on the music that can add incredible definition but can as well destroy music. I really like the EX1k, but not always and not for all music)

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #395 of 428
I spent another hour comparing cables and the findings are in line with what I wrote above.
All comparisons done with Mojo as source.

Original FD02 cable from JVC:
Clearly the worst of the 3. In comparsion to them, it sounds dull, lifeless and uncontrolled. Busy passages become shouty. Bass is kind of bloated and uncontrolled.
Soundstage is narrower and less deep.

Nobunaga Yuzen:
Much more open and airy, clearer, vocals floating, soundstage opens and gets depth. Bass is better controlled, but still the overall impression is "full", like a full mouth.
Smooth and slightly warm sounding, slightly round compared to silver cable. Can get a little shouty in busy passages.
Compared to sliver cable it sometimes feels a little veiled.

DIY pure silver cable:
Even more open and clear than the Nobunaga. Snappy, faster impulse response, bass tighter, drier, but also a tad leaner (perceived). It sounds brighter, cleaner and clearer, can almost seem a little sharp.
It is clean, clear and sharp, stays clean where the Nobunaga gets shouty.

MEASUREMENTS:
I'll spare you the graphs, all 3 cables measured identically, but the perceived balance is quite different with the JVC being the boomiest/bassiest with veiled treble, the Nobunaga being much more neutral, smooth and warm with good sparkle, and the silver cable being almost bright with slighly more sparkly treble, more forward and neutral mids and cleaner and tighter bass.

Some specific observations:
Stravinski's Firebird: https://tidal.com/track/77607310
a really difficult piece. starting at 3:15 it's really busy, and that is where the JVC cable gets really shouty, and even the Nobunaga does not manage to keep things clean and clearly separated. The silver cable gets loud but stays clean and clear, keeping all the elements separated.

Bottomline:
the original cables really hold the FD02 IEM back and should be replaced.
The Nobunaga cable is a pleasure to use, sounds much better than the original. Pity that it turns green after just a few weeks of use, and is not as clean and clear sounding as the:
DIY silver cable, which comes out on top. Slightly bright but clean, clear and with the best separation and bass control it's a clear winner in all aspects EXCEPT comfort and microphonics...

Cable used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814035621.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dyqdd03
FP8101AG teflon insulated 6N OOC silver wire

Short update regarding cables.

I bought and used the ALO pure silver (not the litz!) cable before X-mas when it was sold off for $49 and it's a very nice option. Excellent comfort and usability.
But even this one does not have the clarity, definition and precision of the Teflon-silver cable.

That DIY cable is really a stunner. Clearly bigger stage, very good focus, clarity, punch, definition, detail... Love it. The ALO sounds veiled in comparison.
I changed to Spinfit CP145 with that cable, which warms the sound a bit with a deeper fit and narrower bore compared to the Spiral Dots.
The tips are a bit wobbly and the cable is stiff and microphonic but the sound is sooo damn good from that pimped and battered IEM gem that it's worth it.
My more expensive IEMs are getting jealous :wink:

Having more material coming to build a few more cables.

EDIT: The **** cable is very similar to the PTFE-silver DIY, just touch smoother and warmer

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #396 of 428
Amazon Japan is selling the JVC FD02 with Bluetooth neckband cable for 18.500 Yen with 5% additional discount for CC payment.

May 31, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #397 of 428
Made a new cable for the FD02, same pure silver stock cable as before, but better construction and 3,5mm SE termination to directly connect to the Mojo without adapter.
Cable used: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32811822368.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
Connectors: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000382062079.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
and https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000278240364.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu

love the looks and the sound is very open, clear, tight, clean. Like opening a window in winter and letting in the fresh air.
C167CD5D-EE87-45FA-B671-E9170A025ED1.jpegBF6ABF6D-385A-4448-A081-45FC98B071B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #398 of 428
And another one!
Cable: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32890458597.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
MMCX: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000117154218.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
Jack: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000392217612.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
Splitter: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000419754506.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu

A little tricky to make, since the wire seems to be LITZ, the conductors are hard to get tinned, and the insulation starts melting.
Thicker, softer and more pliable than the teflon-silver cable.
Sounds a little smoother and warmer, but still with the clarity of silver, excellent separation and sense of space.
Honestly - easier to like than the Teflon-silver cable, and less microphonic.

IMG_0040.jpg

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #399 of 428
Just received the FD01 from Drop today. I'll take some time before posting some impressions. I'm using a modi3/magni3 combo at the moment, tidal app from pc, but have the feeling this will do better with Audirvana or UAPP, and the e1da balanced 9038 which is to arrive as well. I will wait a couple of weeks before I mod it.

P.S: I listened to Esquivel, and the highs are definitely a bit too much!

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #400 of 428
I just bought the JVC USA version on Amazon, and they are made in China. Previously, I purchased wood JVC headphones from Japan, and they've always been made in Japan.

Does anyone know if the JVC Japan version is made in Japan, or is it also made in China?

Attachments

• IMG_20200624_114703.jpg
    IMG_20200624_114703.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #401 of 428
I just bought the JVC USA version on Amazon, and they are made in China. Previously, I purchased wood JVC headphones from Japan, and they've always been made in Japan.

Does anyone know if the JVC Japan version is made in Japan, or is it also made in China?

Japanese version says made in China on the box too.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #402 of 428
Is there anyone able to compare these to DUNU DK-2001? I have the modded FD01 and been considering buying DK-2001 lately as a hybrid alternative. Btw, if anyone can recommend detailed and entertaining hybrids for everyday usage in this price range I'd be really grateful.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #403 of 428
Made a new cable for the FD02, same pure silver stock cable as before, but better construction and 3,5mm SE termination to directly connect to the Mojo without adapter.
Cable used: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32811822368.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
Connectors: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000382062079.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu
and https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000278240364.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52394c4dHeevcu

love the looks and the sound is very open, clear, tight, clean. Like opening a window in winter and letting in the fresh air.

Beautiful cable! I'm looking for a balanced cable for the FDX1 and I see you cable rolled quite a bit. So, out of curiosity, have you settled with some cable that you can recommend? ATM my best option is the DUNU DUW-02.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #404 of 428
Beautiful cable! I'm looking for a balanced cable for the FDX1 and I see you cable rolled quite a bit. So, out of curiosity, have you settled with some cable that you can recommend? ATM my best option is the DUNU DUW-02.

My favorite cable is now the black DIY pure silver Litz I talked about In the last post. It’s not just about the sound quality but also the comfort, and it also looks good.
The Teflon-silver sounds the clearest but is a little stiff to handle, so I rarely use it.
The commercially available favorite is the ALO pure silver, and it is also very comfortable and convenient. I am slightly disappointed that inside one of the MMCX connectors it shows green corrosion.
The Nobunaga is also very good but not as clear as the silver cables. It is also a bit uncomfortable and heavy, and the corrosion makes it look really ugly now.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #405 of 428
Is there anyone able to compare these to DUNU DK-2001? I have the modded FD01 and been considering buying DK-2001 lately as a hybrid alternative. Btw, if anyone can recommend detailed and entertaining hybrids for everyday usage in this price range I'd be really grateful.
Haven't tried any BA iems myself, and I'm looking around here and there. Moondrop appears to be a safe bet in that area. Their Blessing 2 looks like a beloved iem in the forums / internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back