JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #136 of 428
I heard the E5000, I liked them very much. But what makes you think that fd01 is better than E5000? Thanks!

So we can avoid any misunderstanding, I only have the FD02. I quickly tried the FD01 as well in the shop, and the little differences with the FD02 were not enough to me to justify the price gap.

Now the final e5000. I was really excited to try them after all the good reviews I read online. When I plugged the cable in my DAP (Cayin N3), I was surprised by how high I had to increase the volume to hear the music. On the official product webpage, they mentionned that the volume is kind of peaceful at the beginning before increasing (?!). I did not notice such change so I simply let the volume higher. By the way, the earphones fitted my ears (no fitting issue).

I am no expert in audio so I will just try to describe my sensations. At the first listening, I was a bit disappointed. Yes the sound was overall better, more detailed than cheaper IEM I had, but it was IMO not worthing its price. The tuning was kind of unusal to me, and more than anything, I was expecting a more airy sound.

When I tried the FD02, I just had a smile when the music kicked in : the sound was clearer (airy), detailed, with a good soundstage. The JVC are not perfect either, but they are closer to my taste.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #137 of 428
So we can avoid any misunderstanding, I only have the FD02. I quickly tried the FD01 as well in the shop, and the little differences with the FD02 were not enough to me to justify the price gap.

Now the final e5000. I was really excited to try them after all the good reviews I read online. When I plugged the cable in my DAP (Cayin N3), I was surprised by how high I had to increase the volume to hear the music. On the official product webpage, they mentionned that the volume is kind of peaceful at the beginning before increasing (?!). I did not notice such change so I simply let the volume higher. By the way, the earphones fitted my ears (no fitting issue).

I am no expert in audio so I will just try to describe my sensations. At the first listening, I was a bit disappointed. Yes the sound was overall better, more detailed than cheaper IEM I had, but it was IMO not worthing its price. The tuning was kind of unusal to me, and more than anything, I was expecting a more airy sound.

When I tried the FD02, I just had a smile when the music kicked in : the sound was clearer (airy), detailed, with a good soundstage. The JVC are not perfect either, but they are closer to my taste.

Opss my mistake it is that FD02 that u liked. I like the E5000 and it needs amplification to shine. With Mojo or my desktop Night Blue Mini amp it sounds really wonderfully, surpassed some of the multi BA i heard.

If FD01 or 02 is more airy then I must have to find the opportunity to try. Airiness and soundstage is very important to me since I am a full size headphone guy. Most of the IEMs i tried are too closed in in my opinion..except some DDs like E5000 for the example.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #138 of 428
Opss my mistake it is that FD01 that u liked. I like the E5000 and it needs amplification to shine. With Mojo or my desktop Night Blue Mini amp it sounds really wonderfully, surpassed some of the multi BA i heard.

If FD01 or 02 is more airy then I must have to find the opportunity to try. Airiness and soundstage is very important to me since I am a full size headphone guy. Most of the IEMs i tried are too closed in in my opinion..except some DDs like E5000 for the example.

E5000 is stupidly difficult to drive for a 1 driver IEM. Was on high gain on BALANCED DP-X1 dap. Will need to try them with a desktop amp with low OI.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #139 of 428
Opss my mistake it is that FD01 that u liked. I like the E5000 and it needs amplification to shine. With Mojo or my desktop Night Blue Mini amp it sounds really wonderfully, surpassed some of the multi BA i heard.

The JVC definitely worth a try indeed. Among my favorite audio devices with the Audio Technica MSR7

@toranku I know right for such a small piece of earphone ^^

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #141 of 428
Bought a pair on amazon.co.jp. These IEM's sound best on the LPG and AK120. Very close runner ups would be, AK SP1000, AK SE100 Futura.(No EQ) Anything else would necessitate EQ correction at 3khz up to 10 khz.(depending on your ears)

All in all, these IEM's remind of the stock HD800. (Can be modded and responds quite well with EQ)

P.S.A: Do not pair these with Vorzuge Pure.... unless you want screwdrivers piercing your ears.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #142 of 428
The E5000s (out of the ZX300) were one of the darkest IEMs I've ever heard. Surprisingly detailed still, but no air.

Modding the FD01s is super easy, adds body and takes out that treble spike, making them the most balanced DD I've heard yet.

Again, just some cotton from the tips of q-tips does the trick. Play around with the quantity till you get the tuning you need. @james444 suggest rolling up dried alcohol swabs inside, but I prefer this method.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #143 of 428
The E5000s (out of the ZX300) were one of the darkest IEMs I've ever heard. Surprisingly detailed still, but no air.

Modding the FD01s is super easy, adds body and takes out that treble spike, making them the most balanced DD I've heard yet.

Again, just some cotton from the tips of q-tips does the trick. Play around with the quantity till you get the tuning you need. @james444 suggest rolling up dried alcohol swabs inside, but I prefer this method.

Please can you clarify your mod - you put some cotton in the tip outside or do you put it inside after removing the nozzle?

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #149 of 428
Just wondering if anyone had a chance to listen to IMR R1, and give a comparison to fd01. I had a chance to pick up a pair of b stock r1 for a very reasonable price which I am enjoying very much. I am very curious about fd01 due to resonable price and what appears to be similar design.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #150 of 428
I am also wondering how they sound after burn in - many folks have had them for abit now? Considering these to complement my FX850s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back