JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #421 of 428
Can anyone who owns the FD01 (or FD02) comment on channel balance issues?
I recently got an FD01 off Amazon, and one of the earpieces has like 3 or 4 dB less bass below 100 Hz than the other. I never had this problem with the FDX1, and I'm kind of concerned this is a widespread problem because I've seen this issue show up on multiple measurements out there. I know it's not a sealing problem because when I swap the earpieces left and right, the imbalance goes to the other side. I put in a return request and they are already shipping a new one to me, so I really hope this was just a fluke.

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #422 of 428
I recently got an FD01 off Amazon, and one of the earpieces has like 3 or 4 dB less bass below 100 Hz than the other. I never had this problem with the FDX1, and I'm kind of concerned this is a widespread problem because I've seen this issue show up on multiple measurements out there. I know it's not a sealing problem because when I swap the earpieces left and right, the imbalance goes to the other side. I put in a return request and they are already shipping a new one to me, so I really hope this was just a fluke.
Sry for late answer, I don't remember chan imbalance (as I felt for instance, some time after, the 7hz Timeless had), but it might have been there, my pair got stolen so I can't tell. How does the new pair you were sent behave?

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #423 of 428
I had a similar issue with an FDX1 from DROP, interestingly both earpieces had less bass than they should have had, but one side was -5dB in sub-bass, the other -10dB. Returned them to Drop and received a replacement which sounded and measured as expected.

I also tried a lot to figure out if I could find out the reason for the lack of bass and imbalance, tried to seal the gaps of the rotating nozzle, used tape on the vents etc. but could not figure out the root cause. Documented it in the FDX1 thread.
Here's one post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...-iem-available-in-the-us.912737/post-15967897

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #424 of 428
Sry for late answer, I don't remember chan imbalance (as I felt for instance, some time after, the 7hz Timeless had), but it might have been there, my pair got stolen so I can't tell. How does the new pair you were sent behave?
The new pair is much better, but I still notice a very slight imbalance, maybe 1 or 2 dB below 100 Hz. It's not a huge deal, but I expect more from a product that used to retail for $400. Again, the FDX1 has perfect channel balance to my ears, so there's really no point in me owning both the FD01 and FDX1 now.

I had a similar issue with an FDX1 from DROP, interestingly both earpieces had less bass than they should have had, but one side was -5dB in sub-bass, the other -10dB. Returned them to Drop and received a replacement which sounded and measured as expected.

I also tried a lot to figure out if I could find out the reason for the lack of bass and imbalance, tried to seal the gaps of the rotating nozzle, used tape on the vents etc. but could not figure out the root cause. Documented it in the FDX1 thread.
Here's one post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...-iem-available-in-the-us.912737/post-15967897

Thanks for the posts. That is a much bigger imbalance than what I've heard.

May 4, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #425 of 428
Found a great pair that sounds heavenly -
Qudelix 5K +
Cadmus S 4W +
FD01 OG + (maybe this is the secret, yet to confirm)
Audio Technica ER-CKS 50 eartips (they have fantastic seal and are imo the best I’ve tried so far!)
It’s phenomenal, i always thought this inear had great potential- and it is! Sound is so sweet, clear, not harsh!

May 4, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #426 of 428
Found a great pair that sounds heavenly -
Qudelix 5K +
Cadmus S 4W +
FD01 OG + (maybe this is the secret, yet to confirm)
Audio Technica ER-CKS 50 eartips (they have fantastic seal and are imo the best I’ve tried so far!)
It’s phenomenal, i always thought this inear had great potential- and it is! Sound is so sweet, clear, not harsh!
I'm also loving the FD01 with the Qudelix 5K, LDAC from the LGV40. Custom EQ settings on the 5K are awesome and makes the FD01 sound just amazing.

Also, I want to update my impressions of the FD01. I was mistaken that the FDX1 has better bass than the FD01. The bass is not better, it's presented differently. The bass level is simply lower than on the FDX1, specifically the mid bass. Once you use EQ to bump up the bass on the FD01, they sound nearly identical. If anything, I think there might be more treble extension on the FD01 giving more detail than the FDX1. The FD01 is so punchy and detailed especially with EQ, I just love it. I think if I didn't have the Dunu Zen Pro already, the FD01 could be my endgame IEM.

I'm using the Moondrop Spring tips and the blue ring titanium filter/nozzle (which sounds basically the same as the white steel nozzle).

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #428 of 428
Picked up a pair of the FD02s, largely due to recommendations in this thread. Didn't understand the appeal until today, though. Have not modded them in the way suggested, just using the narrowest-channelled eartips I have and a balanced cable, depending on source. Unmodded with the stock eartips they could sound nauseating: not treble elevated, but sort of blurry. Now their sound is robust and thick with a good balance across frequencies. Clear but not crystal. Source power also seems to have been a factor. I'd suggest a phone wouldn't be adequate. I'm using a KA3 and only the balanced output cuts it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back