Type - Moving Coil
Driver Size - 50mm
Frequency Response - 15-28,000 Hz
Nominal Impedance - 32Ω
Sensitivity - 95dB/mW
Maximum Power Handling - 100mW (?)
Weight without cable - 340g
Cable length - 5m

Twelve years before the release of the HA-DX1000 (2005) JVC offered a flagship range under the "SUPERDIGIFINE" banner, which was largely known for loudspeakers and Hifi separates. Below that was the 'DIGIFINE' range and below that again was 'diGiTaL READY'. One could argue that this was around the peak of the 'For Digital' era of home electronics occurring 10 years after the invention of the CD and digital media was becoming perfectly commonplace at home.
With portable media and the miniDisc taking most of the marketing attention at the time, almost hidden at the top of their 'accessories' inventory was the SUPERDIGIFINE HA-D1000 Digital Reference Prestige headphone.

As eras go, it was actually a rather eventful time in headphone history. The year of 1993 sets the JVC HA-D1000 as early-nineties contemporaries with Sony's MDR-CD1000 and MDR-V900, Denon's AH-D950, Technics' RP-F1 and RP-F30, Sennheiser's HD580, Beyerdynamic's DT-911, Grado's HP-1000, AKG's K500 and the K1000 which was released around 1990 to name a few; so there was no shortage of competition or distractions.

In terms of the JVC brand and what the community has grown to expect and love (and hate, ooooh the hate) about them, the HA-D1000 subverts all those expectations.
Simply, it's a full-size fully open-back headphone. In that regard it stands apart in a completely unique position aside from any other JVC.

To briefly go over the specifications: for it's size, it fits in the medium-lightweight category and can be easily worn all day if you can ignore the itchy ear pads. It is very easy to drive and has no problem making a fine sound from a small portable device.
I put a question mark beside the Maximum Power Handling because I'm 99.9% certain that this is a typo. Almost all the high-end and studio headphones from Japan in this era had a maximum power handling of 1000mW and many up to 1.5W.

So, what does it sound like?
Mostly like a Philips SHP8900 but with bigger soundstage.

I don't know if there ever was any paperwork included with this headphone as there was none when I received it and currently no solid information about them exists anywhere on the internet. (prove me wrong! please).
For that reason I have left the release date somewhat ambiguous and other bits of information here will most likely have inconsistencies or simply be incorrect as I have only had scraps to go on to piece what little information together I could - so I apologize in advance. Please let me know of any errors and I will correct them immediately.

I am in the extremely fortunate position to humbly present a vintage-unboxing of this headphone in it's original, immaculate condition. Please enjoy:

_DSC6929.jpg _DSC6931.jpg _DSC6932.jpg _DSC6935.jpg _DSC6937.jpg _DSC6939.jpg _DSC6942.jpg _DSC6944.jpg _DSC6945.jpg _DSC6946.jpg _DSC6948.jpg _DSC6950.jpg _DSC6951.jpg _DSC6952.jpg _DSC6960.jpg _DSC6964.jpg _DSC6967.jpg _DSC6970.jpg _DSC6974.jpg _DSC6976.jpg _DSC6978.jpg _DSC6981.jpg _DSC6982.jpg

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm... I need to update my ebay notifications :D

Things like this thread are the biggest reason I hang around here daily. Good stuff! I assume measurements and sound impressions are incoming? :)

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Hmm... I need to update my ebay notifications :D
You might be waiting a long while. As the name of the thread implies, these almost don't exist.
I had never even heard of them until I got them, and I thought my 'head-canon' of all the headphones worth knowing was fairly complete... but to completely miss out on an actual JVC flagship? For shame!

I assume measurements and sound impressions are incoming? :)
Well, I probably could, but I don't really see the point with so few of them around.
It's kinda like reviewing a Sennheiser HE-1 ...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 7
You might be waiting a long while. As the name of the thread implies, these almost don't exist.
Yes, JVC flagship and open back. If it was april 1st I'd compliment you on your photoshop skills.

Well, I probably could, but I don't really see the point with so few of them around.
It's kinda like reviewing a Sennheiser HE-1 ..
I would be interested how they had tuned the headphones. Especially since it's their only(?) open back headphone. Was it neutral and they then decided lets go more for the fun organic presentation on their latter flagships? That is what I'm curious about, not about it's technical potential which I assume is lacking in 2019.

Any idea If the headphones were designed by the same dude who designed dx1000 and who's last work was mx100?

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, JVC flagship and open back. If it was april 1st I'd compliment you on your photoshop skills.

I would be interested how they had tuned the headphones. Especially since it's their only(?) open back headphone. Was it neutral and they then decided lets go more for the fun organic presentation on their latter flagships? That is what I'm curious about, not about it's technical potential which I assume is lacking in 2019.
As I mentioned previously,
"So, what does it sound like?
Mostly like a Philips SHP8900 but with bigger soundstage."

That's more of a testament to the SHP8900 being an underrated headphone (although it's build quality was pretty bad).
It's quite a neutral kind of sound that extends fairly well on both ends in a very tasteful manner. Anyone who has heard an SHP8900 will know exactly what I'm talking about.
From memory I guess it also goes into similar territory as the Sennheiser HD540 Reference, but with more bass.... but I sold that headphone years ago, so take a big pinch of salt for that one.

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Any idea If the headphones were designed by the same dude who designed dx1000 and who's last work was mx100?
Scraps of info my dude!... SCRAPS!!!
If anyone can find more info than I did in the past 2 weeks, I will personally give them a cookie. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back