JVC FX33 Mod.
May 19, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #121 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did this mod just now with some THIN IEM foam that came with my phone's earbud. My Marshmallows have about 35 hours worth of burn in time that I have produced over the past two weeks or so. So I cut strips of thin foam, roll them up in order to fit the hole in the Marshmallow and tested it out. They seem less harsh and the bass is very very slightly decreased. I was hoping that they would be clearer but at the same time be less harsh when modded. They're don't seem very clear and slightly muddy.

I just opened a BRAND NEW Marshmallow to compare (0 hours on them). The modded Mallows are less harsh and a bit more neutral but it seems to be lacking clarity. Is it because of the foam used? It is fairly dense and thin so I had to cut a rectangle out and rolled them into order to fit the hole. I would like more clarity and keep the harshness down!

yeah, I would try some different foam. It cant be too dense, or it will just block high frequencies. you want to tame them, not block them. you also want to free up the bass so its not so bloated. I used some disintegrating earpads off an old junk pair of portable cans. no loss there. results are just fine.

May 19, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #122 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I would try some different foam. It cant be too dense, or it will just block high frequencies. you want to tame them, not block them. you also want to free up the bass so its not so bloated. I used some disintegrating earpads off an old junk pair of portable cans. no loss there. results are just fine.

I just dug up some earbud foam that was meant for my ipod earbuds. I took out the old foam and compared the pores under the light and the ipod foam is less dense. I cut up ~3x3 mm pieces of the new foam, laid it flat on the hole and used a pencil to push it in with the edge slightly out so i can swap it out if anything. Clarity is very much improved compared to the 1st mod attempt and the brand spanking new Mallows. The bass is also noticeably more controlled and balanced.

May 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #123 of 136
I did the mod yesterday and its a revelation for my FX34.l The key is on balancing the sound by adding whatever material you use...thats the the tricky part.

May 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #124 of 136
i couldnt find any foam so i used SPONGE. this mod truly made a huge difference.. less harsh on the highs, the bass seems more precise, vocals dont hurt my ears anymore. imma be picking up another pair soon

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #125 of 136
I got mine after reading about them here on head-fi.. they cost me 29euros. I am using the mod with foams.. without mod the sound is drab. After modding them I have found that basses are clearer and mids are little brighter but highs are somewhat boring. And overall sound is somewhat flat in the middles but what should I expect from low prices buds right? Ill burn them in for some time to see if it will get any better. Well I have got these because after 2 months my akg k319 left earbud stopped playing any sound at all, got another k319 as replacement yesterday. However I had notices that right earbud is cracking at low frequencies a bit so I tryed to open it and see if there isnt hair or something that rezonates but I did not even opened it just pushed the metal clip without moving it 1 milimeter and it stopped playing any sounds as the one before :O
I dont want to blame akg but these are meaned to be high end earbuds and if they are getting dead this easy I wont bother with them anymore maybe they were from bad series or something but I must say that they are very fragile earbuds
frown.gif

So the situation looks like I will keep this jvc´s untill I will get my PK1 or OK1
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #126 of 136
I just removed that paper filter today and went out for a run. There's a noticeable increase in highs and mids and things definitely opened up a lot more. I didn't bother with the foam because I'm used to having sparkling highs. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Westone-provided Comply tips to fit on the Marshmallows and it'll have the isolation I want while not sounding muffled and boring like an unEQed UM1.

EDIT: Got the short Comply tips on there.
1002050smaller.jpg

I removed the little rubber core from the inside of the short Comply tips and then I put them on the JVC HA-FX33. The result is a slightly better seal with much better lows than before. I would even say that it makes my FX33 sound like my HA-DX3 but without the large sound stage.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #127 of 136
I got my FX33 today; removed the paper filter right away with a toothpick and put in some foam cut up from a sponge. After some fine-tuning, the sound is definitely better than stock, but due to the characteristic of the phones, they still sound flat to my liking. Awesome mod though, I can't believe a $7 earphone can sound so good (compared to the $10 Sony earbuds)!!

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #130 of 136
I re-terminated my Kramer-modded Marshmallows with a $3.00 silver connecter from radioshack because I lost sound in one of the channels. I think I've noticed a pretty substantial improvement, but perhaps it's all in my head
wink.gif
. Anyone else have experience with rewiring these?

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #132 of 136
I bought some Marshmellows today, and I listened to them for about 10 minutes before getting to see how they sounded and when I got home, I promptly did the Kramer mod. Much better sound, although I had to use the foam pads that came with the earbuds to my Blackberry. But I think I still some Philips headphones and the foam should be less dense, 'cause the bass is still very prominent in mine right now, but it's more controlled. I just want for highs haha. Unmodded, I think they sound very similar to the CX300's, but maybe thats just me.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #133 of 136
I just did this to my (pink) marshmallows.

The difference is astounding. Before, the bass was soooo overpowering, and things like cymbals were muddy and not very good to listen to, but after removing the paper and adding a (small) amount of foam, they became soooo much better.

The cymbals are crisp, but there's still enough bass there to satisfy my tastes.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #134 of 136
Sorry for the major bump but thought i'd share my experiences.

I found the highs strangely painful when the phones were stock. I took out the paper filters and stuffed the tubes quarter full of Q-tip cotton. Very clear, but not painful highs, still tons of bass, just how I like it!

A long time ago, I hurt my ears badly, and as a result I am extremely sensitive to the high end. Q-Tip cotton seems to do a good job of filtering out most of the painfully high frequencies. I'm also a basshead (I felt the need to amp my Ultrasones). Very, very pleased with these.

100% grindcore approved!!!

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #135 of 136
New to Head-Fi here, sorry for the bump.
smily_headphones1.gif
I found this mod while hunting around, and would like to give my own Kudos for finding this mod.

The Marshmallow is definitely more fun now from the boosted mids, and when paired up with a Fiio E5 they are just AGGRESSIVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back