JVC FX33 Mod.
Nov 18, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #107 of 136
I' ve been using the JVC HA-FX34 for about 6 months and today I came across the famous "Kramer's Method." I decided to give the Mod a try and my listening experience was forever changed. I can now recognize the lyrics of many songs I listen to. The bass is lowered a bit and the sound has a more crispy clear feeling to it. Thanks Kramer.

And btw, you can adjust the feel of the sound you hear by adding more or less foam in the tube. The process is straight super simple.

=)

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #108 of 136
I haven't added the foam yet (have to find some), and I've only removed the paper from my left one (Tweezers + Sewing needle, didn't remove the gray part) but already it's a pretty large difference.

I'm honestly pretty happy with how it is NOW without even adding the foam.
But I'm sure it improves even more.
Does anyone have a measurement of how much they used and what kind?

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #109 of 136
Just picked up the marshmallows for $9.99 (Canadian!) today and at first listened to it unmodded... ugh, mids and highs were really muffled and overpowered by bass when a proper seal was applied. Did the mod, and now these sound like gold! Almost too good for what I paid for, nearly on par with my SE210's (Mids not as good but better bass). And there hasn't even been any burn-in yet!

These will make a good "abusable" tossaway IEM for me, since my I can't exactly do that with my SE210's or Super fi 5 Pro's. Thanks for the mod!

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #110 of 136
*Just* completed this mod. I skipped the part where one needs to pull of the gray tube, and simply used a needle at an angle to pull off the white filter.

Mod done, sounds *Great* !

Thanks Kramer!

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #111 of 136
Duplicated the post. Sorry.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #112 of 136
Hello all. Just done a Semi-mod. Instead of removing the paper pieces I just pierced them with a paper clip and hence made larger holes. This has already softened and cleared the bass while increasing the tonal range as well as opened the stage quite a bit. Has anyone done it this way?

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #113 of 136
With a FX34, I did the mod with typical poly foam since I don't have any headphone foam.
My wife thinks they are now too tinny. She does not know why I messed with her earphones. I tried adding more foam, but I blocked too much of the sound. Either there is a real art to getting the right amount of foam, or there is a real difference between typical poly foam and headphone foam. Has anyone used both types of foam?
I have another FX34, and might try the paper clip method.
These things are so cheap now on ebay, I ordered a FX33 to hear for myself if there is a difference, and why so many people complain about unmodded FX33. To me, the unmodded FX34 sounded pretty good. The problem with the bass might depend on how far you mush them into your ear.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #114 of 136
Well I remember back when I had my FX33 the were pretty damn good headphones unmodded (never modded them). Well I lost those and replaced them with the new model FX34 and they just didn't sound the same. So I found out about this mod. I am no audiophile matter of fact I just ordered my first nice pair of headphones yesterday (Grado SR80) after performing this mod it really is a night and day difference. They aren't overpowered with bass and muffled like before. The highs are clear cymbals sound great. John Bonham's solo on Moby Dick has never sounded this good on these headphones for anyone doubting this mod truly makes these headphones one of the biggest values on the market. One tip though. Switch out the tips that are already on the Headphones with the bigger ones included in the box. Improves some of the muffled sound. This might sound like quite alot of compliments but it is deserving for something so cheap.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #115 of 136
i tried endless mods with these, and finally the only thing that satisfied my ears was the original 'kramer mod', with some EQ to tame the massive 5khz spike and the bloated bass. now i like them beter than my SR60! but without the EQ it's horrible.

May 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #116 of 136
Wow, i'm going to buy another pair on Monday at my campus bookstore and perform this mod. Thanks Kramer!

May 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #118 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by askareem24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do any of you guys know if this mod will work on the fx34? will it produce the same hq sound like the modded fx33s?

I believe the principal is the same. the 33/34 are not that different from a mod perspective.

May 12, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #119 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the principal is the same. the 33/34 are not that different from a mod perspective.

thanks. i'll be pickin up the fx34s this week

May 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #120 of 136
I did this mod just now with some THIN IEM foam that came with my phone's earbud. My Marshmallows have about 35 hours worth of burn in time that I have produced over the past two weeks or so. So I cut strips of thin foam, roll them up in order to fit the hole in the Marshmallow and tested it out. They seem less harsh and the bass is very very slightly decreased. I was hoping that they would be clearer but at the same time be less harsh when modded. They're don't seem very clear and slightly muddy.

I just opened a BRAND NEW Marshmallow to compare (0 hours on them). The modded Mallows are less harsh and a bit more neutral but it seems to be lacking clarity. Is it because of the foam used? It is fairly dense and thin so I had to cut a rectangle out and rolled them into order to fit the hole. I would like more clarity and keep the harshness down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back