Justifying high end cans to non audiophiles
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mokpie

Head-Fier
After listening and owning a couple of different cans, I could differentiate each to myself. However I find it difficult to describe to others, especially people not interested in audio or headphones, how to tell the difference. Ie: My girlfriend says "you paid how much for these??? I can't even tell the difference between these and my 9.99 earbuds" and I say "uh, well, they're..better, just listen..."

What things are easy to listen for that really highlight the differences? I guess its all in the little things

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 26
TUNE THEM OUT!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 26
do an AB test....

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 26
The best way is to let them listen. If they can't tell or appreciate the difference, well, too bad for them and thank goodness for their wallets lol. But seriously, if someone just isn't interested, there is no point. Just enjoy the good music.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokpie
: My girlfriend says "you paid how much for these???

You paid how much for that bag/shoes/make up ... they all hold stuff/protect your feet/ look the same?

On a more serious note we all have our own hobbies and priorities... some people spend on wine, cigars, food, clothes, baseball cards, you name it...

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 26
Your girlfriend may have a discerning ear. If you played her earbuds from the ipod and some other junk then she is right on the money. If you gave her the earuds and ety4's then there is a most obvious problem--this is a minor problem depending on how good looking she is, but this is a dbt free thread. what are you comparing crap too?

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 26
realize it don't matter as long as you feel it's justified, ignore what your friends mutter under their breath, then don some armor and be prepared to fight in the great pretzel/churro wars.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 26
Ive been involved with audio and sound reproduction for 20 some-odd years between the home, car and headphones. Ive learned too not even bother.... Let them listen, if they like it, they like it. If they dont, then let it be.

Garrett

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 26
I wouldn't try to force a person to hear the difference in my headphones. If they like the sound then good for them, if they think it sounds like apple earbuds than that's fine too.

I honestly can't tell the difference between a shirt that cost $20 and one that cost $60, even if I try it on. But if other people are willing to spend 3x as much for that shirt that my power to them.

Just remember that the members here represent a very small group of the general population, if more people cared about sound quality than there would be more of us.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 26
I believe its a "learned" thing. I mean last year when I had the sr60's and px100's I thought that the px100's sounded almost the same until I switched back to the px100's after listening to the grados for a few days. back in the day I was not sure what mids, highs meant, I only knew what bass was.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 26
you can't. even if they agree it's more comfy/better sound, they won't care for the difference,because they don't LISTEN to the music, they hear the music. And that's a good scenario.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 26
In my experience, most people know instinctively whether they care about/can discern good sound or not. Usually I'll just tell people "they sound good, REALLY good" and they tend to understand to one extent or another. If a person can't tell the difference, they'll generally say so and add "but I usually can't tell the difference between stuff" or something of that nature. In other words, the cost of headphones/related gear has really not gotten me any strange reactions... people seem to "get it" for the most part, even if they themselves don't care.

As far as the OP, I'm surprised your girlfriend has that attitude... just tell her you care a lot about small sonic differences, even if she doesn't think they're a big deal. Failing that, explain that it's simply a hobby and you like headphones.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 26
I'm not really concerned with what she thinks etc. She isn't actually much of a nag when it comes to my gadgets. But I'm looking for a way to help her understand/appreciate, I just can't describe to her what to listen for for her to notice differences. Ie between her stock buds and say mx500s, or her nasty panasonic clip ons and my ksc 75s, or those old stock black sony headbands that came with older discmans and my MS-1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back