Just wow at Ebay
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rsxboy

New Head-Fier
I'm seeing so many IEMs that cost a lot brand new, that are dirt cheap with simple problems like no sound out one side or the jack broken off. Anyone with soldering experience can buy a new plug and fix those problems. Just a heads up to some people.

Usually with the sound issue, it's the jack. Rarely it's the driver.

Example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Image-S4-In-Ear-only-Headphones-Missing-plug-defective-20-/130832517901?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e7639cb0d

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
II tried once to fix an IEM changing precisely the plug. For some reason, I could never achieve channel balance. A lot of time and effort wasted.

Even if you fixed, will you keep them? 

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 9
The thing is: those who spend more than 100$ on IEMs on this forum usually know what they getting, so I assume they think about fixing their own gear too. Maybe I am wrong who knows, I am only replying to see what others think and revive this post. 

There was another guy asking for broken headphones a few months ago.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Not an IEM but I snagged a pair of Vmoda LP2s brand new for $39. One side wasn't working and I was willing to take a chance it was a solder joint. Sure enough, one quickie repair and my daughter had her beats beaters for a song. Its worth it if you are willing to gamble. Most of the time it would pay off.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I stalk ebay listings for things I'm interested in, mostly used items, headphones or MP3 players. I usually check twice a day. Big help is taking advantages of the filter settings such "newly listed" and "used" etc etc...really sifts through the garbage for you.

When in stalk mode, never look on ebay using the default "best match" setting because it shows the ending auctions for most parts where fools are bidding high amounts. Instead change the filter to "newly listed" and start backwards, you can snap up some good "buy it now" prices.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 9
If you want to gamble 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-BROKEN-Monster-Turbine-High-Performance-In-Ear-Speakers-/130832669083?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e763c199b&_uhb=1
They just don't tell you exactly whats wrong, looks like one side's casing came apart, so id expect the wiring to be messed up, hopefully they didnt touch the driver. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROKEN-Genuine-Monster-Turbine-Mobile-In-Ear-Speakers-with-ControlTalk-AS-IS-/181030293293?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a263f0f2d&_uhb=1

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 9
I've noticed a few Phonak PFE's (with no accessories included) for sale, stating that one side is quiet. I wonder if they realise that it might be just that the filter needs changing.

Actually, when I bought my PFEs from Jaben the first pair had channel imbalance straight out of the box. This probably does not reflect the rest of their product line but the problem is not uncommon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back