Just won a tube integrated/ headphone amp on EBAY!!!!!!
Nov 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #31 of 83

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
Who was the first to bite the bullet and get a Darkvoice? Isn't that the same situation I'm in here? My guess is this is built to the same level as the low end Antique Sound Lab's line of amplifiers... hopefuly better. Does anyone remember the ASL wave 8 mono blocks for $99 each here in the U.S?
av8front2.jpg

Enjoy.
DO!

umm....that would be me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #32 of 83

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Who was the first to bite the bullet and get a Darkvoice? Isn't that the same situation I'm in here? My guess is this is built to the same level as the low end Antique Sound Lab's line of amplifiers... hopefuly better. Does anyone remember the ASL wave 8 mono blocks for $99 each here in the U.S?
av8front2.jpg

Enjoy.
DO!

Those were a hell of a deal, I waited for 2 months for a pair to show up on Audiogon. Still haven't seen them, but I'm not looking quite as hard now.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 83

Mr Do

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears
You might want to check out this thread about the same amp.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175581

Replacement tubes have limited availability, and the poster in that thread had his amp die after only 3 hours of use.

I read that thread after I purchased the amp. Fortunitely I did not buy from that seller. I can only guess the buyer had the voltage set wrong since that was his first tube amp. Optimism is all I got going for me right now and no one is going to break me unitll the amp starts smoking...yikes!

Do!

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #34 of 83

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

I read that thread after I purchased the amp. Fortunitely I did not buy from that seller. I can only guess the buyer had the voltage set wrong since that was his first tube amp. Optimism is all I got going for me right now and no one is going to break me unitll the amp starts smoking...yikes!

Do!

If the voltage set wrong, the amp won't stand even 5 mins, imagine the 5 hours duration.

In manufacturing QA, they consider this a "Catastrophic failure". Do they have any QA before they ship their product ?

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #35 of 83

Mr Do

1000+ Head-Fier
Don't know? This was a big gamble and I should have done more research. The seller contacted me this morning and provided a tracking number. As of now the amp is in transit and should arrive within a few days. I'll let everyone know how it goes upon arrival. I may take it to my local audio shop and have them look at it before I do anything. They speacilise in tube gear.

Enjoy.
DO!

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 83

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
I bought one of these amps as well and should be expecting it to arrive shortly. I shall also let you know of my findings when I receive the amp! I noted on the unit that it says above the headphone jack "headphones 300ohm-600ohm" and I was wondering if it would be damaging to use my 60 ohm MDR V6's with this amp?

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #38 of 83

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS
I bought one of these amps as well and should be expecting it to arrive shortly. I shall also let you know of my findings when I receive the amp! I noted on the unit that it says above the headphone jack "headphones 300ohm-600ohm" and I was wondering if it would be damaging to use my 60 ohm MDR V6's with this amp?

... Better to check with them before you put your phones at risks. I would presume that you might get hums and noises if your phones use lower impedance.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #39 of 83

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m
... Better to check with them before you put your phones at risks. I would presume that you might get hums and noises if your phones use lower impedance.

It was hard to understand in his slightly broken english but he said this..

"it mean impedance range of the head phone out put jack,certainly,load between this range's headphone would get a good result,if not that will bring distortion or hard to drive(headphone)"

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 83

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS
It was hard to understand in his slightly broken english but he said this..

"it mean impedance range of the head phone out put jack,certainly,load between this range's headphone would get a good result,if not that will bring distortion or hard to drive(headphone)"

I believe that he meant whichever cans uses lower impedance ( <300 ) might experience distortion.

Anyone knows if there're cans designed to operate at >600 ?

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 83

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
Thats what I could deduce as well and so I'll try one of my slightly broken sacrifical pairs of headphones first to see what happens. I'm hoping that the total usable sweep range for the volume pot will be less than a headphone in the suggested range.

Nov 20, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #42 of 83

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
Okay so I picked up the amp today and it was packed quite well and the package looked very gently handled and the box was appropriately marked "Fragile: Handle With Care". The amp was sandwiched between two shape fitting pieces of styrofoam that held the amp in well and helped isolate it from shock. The only concern was that the tubes were preinstalled and not included in a separate and wrapped package. The amp itself feels strong and well built with good,tactile feel on the knobs and switches. Overall the quality seems to be quite high with the only problem being slight corrosion on the top of the tube bases probably due to it spending a damp day in a Hong Kong harbor.

The amp itself shipped with a plug that seemed to be used for its home market so I substituted one off of one of my guitar amplifiers. The amp powered up and seems to not emit any strange smells or smoke and everything seemed well in check. I plugged in my sacrificial headphones into the top jack and threw into my mp3 player into the back of the unit which required a splitter since there were left and right channel inputs. I was able to hear sound from the headphones but the sound was pretty lousy since my cable might have been a mono cable but one thing I noticed is that the front panel headphone jack seemed to be DOA though perhaps its the input for the AUX setting on the source knob though the top jack works. What WAS strange was the fact that with my 60ohm Sony MDR-V6s and my Creative Zen Vision:M at 20/25 volume I noticed that the volume didn't get very very loud and required the full travel of the volume knob.

So then I decided it might have been my cable used for feeding my Zen into the unit and so I ran down to RatShack and got a cheap 2 phono into stereeo 1/8" in plug and used that to hook in and found that neither the iffy sound quality nor the lack of volume was solved. I'm sure this is just something weird going on but I'd like some help.

What I was wondering is that the switch on the back that changes from 110 to 220V is really confusing because when the physical switch is in the 220V direction their is a little decal that appears on the switch that says "110V" and so I was wondering if I could switch the switch the other way so that it is set to 220V mode and run it off of my 110V line? Does setting the amp on 220V mode for a 110V line damage it in any way? I'm just not sure if its actually set for 110V operation.

I know this amp can work,I'm confident and I'd really like your help.

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 83

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy macro.... the shipping cost...

I think you mean 'holy mackerel'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice looking amp, nice to see someone other than Peter McAlister using Pentodes in a headphone amp.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread