Just visited a local headphone store; I like the sound of Denons now
Jun 5, 2011 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaBomb77766

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just visited a local headphone store here in China, looking to try out the Grados they had there (SR60)...I honestly didn't like them very much though.  Just not my sort of sound signature.

However, I tried out a pair of AH-D7000s they had there, and they were pretty amazing.  Definitely want a pair of those, or at least the D5000s...pretty expensive though, I must say.  They also had a pair of D1100s too, which were pretty great too.  I really like Denons now though, after trying these ones out for a bit.  A ton of bass, but it didn't seem to muddy up the rest of the frequency much, if at all.  The D1100s seemed to sort of recess vocals though, but maybe it was just me.  The location was fairly loud, since it was in a corner of one of those big Chinese electronics malls.

What do you guys think I should get?  The D5000 may just be a bit to expensive for me now, unfortunately...but I definitely like them far, far more than my HD595.  If I get one of these I'll probably sell the 595s.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
>__> You didn't like the Grados when you auditioned them in a noisy place? ...I wonder why. Nah, just kidding.

Nah, it had nothing to do with the background noise, I think.  They just sounded too...thin.  Not sure how I can describe it.  Just didn't meld with me very well.  Maybe it was just the background noise though, who knows.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 6
I auditioned mine in a brick-and-mortar shop before purchasing. Some guy was also auditioning speakers. Sounded better at home, when I was alone in my room.

As for the Denons, aren't they closed? Definitely a different sound from your HD595, considering they're open. If you like them enough, way over your current phones, I'd sell them in a heartbeat :p

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I auditioned mine in a brick-and-mortar shop before purchasing. Some guy was also auditioning speakers. Sounded better at home, when I was alone in my room.

As for the Denons, aren't they closed? Definitely a different sound from your HD595, considering they're open. If you like them enough, way over your current phones, I'd sell them in a heartbeat :p

Well, it wasn't just the openness that was different.  It had a far warmer and richer sound, it made my 595s sound almost anemic.  And honestly, I find the 595s to be just a little too open and airy.  Still, we're talking about an order of magnitude of a tier difference here - I'm comparing $150 headphones to $700 headphones, not to mention these ones were driven with a rather high-end amp whereas I'm stuck with a Fiio E1 at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back