Just shipped my 555ES to SACDmods !!!!!!!!
Apr 10, 2004 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

meech

500+ Head-Fier
Well guys, after waiting for 5 months, I've finally sent my Sony 555ES to SACDmods for the Statement modification. I should have it back in about 2 weeks.

I'm very excited to say the least.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have to thank Markl and Sacd Lover for introducing me to this player. Much appreciated.

Just curious, is everyone that owns a SACDSmods player still happy with it?

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 62
congrats. 2 weeks is a pretty short turn around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
congrats. 2 weeks is a pretty short turn around.
smily_headphones1.gif

2 to 3 weeks I should say. I guess that was just a little wishfull thinking
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Congratulations meech! Incidentally I'm finally receiving my modded NS500V from Matthew this coming Monday, just 2 days, can't wait.

These will be the longest 2 days of your life. You gotta let us know how it sounds once you get it up and running.

Congrats
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 62
Hi meech, congrats, I know you've been waiting forever for this. I only hope it lives up to your expectations after all that build-up.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, still loving mine. Cheers.

Apr 11, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hi meech, congrats, I know you've been waiting forever for this. I only hope it lives up to your expectations after all that build-up.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, still loving mine. Cheers.

Thanks Markl,

It's funny you should say that. I've already been telling myself not to expect too much after the mods. I really don't want to get my hopes up too high only to be dissapointed. Some of the things that I want to improve are bass articulation/impact and I want to get rid of the treble grain. If my modded player does those two things then it's worth the price. Anything above and beyond that is gravy.

I read the long version of your review earlier today. Kind of a bad move being that I'm trying to bring down the enthsiasm.
wink.gif

Rsaavedr,

I will definately post my review after having if for a few days. I'm sure a lot people are still curious about this player. I'm also going to bring it to the NYC meet at GRADO LABS in May. Hopefully a lot of the guys will get to hear it there and post their thoughts afterwards.

Apr 11, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 62
Congrats on the decision to have your unit modded. Make sure to post some thoughts on it once it makes it back to you. I'm sure it will be gushing and positive, but it's always good to hear about how it sounds from someone who owned it for a while too.

Apr 11, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 62
My SACDmods player is still treating me well - no complaints. Matt will take good care of your player, he certainly did mine
biggrin.gif
I only wish I had the 555es now for slightly better sound & better build quality
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 62
Hey guys, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Sacd Lover,

I spoke to Matthew on the phone and he told me that he's pretty sure he'll have them in a week. He said that he has only one other player ahead of mine. I figured I'd better send it now before he post that he has Zapfilters (trying to stay ahead on the line). As long as I can get the player back within 3 weeks I'll be cool.

Serving Ecuador,

You're right, I have had this player for a while now. This delay might have worked out for the best because now I know exactly what the stock 555 sounds like. I know it qualities and I certainly know it's faults. If the mods improve on anything, I'll be able to pick it up right away. When I first got this player, I was so impressed with it's sound because I was upgrading from a Sony mega changer. If I had gotten the mods back then, I probably wouldn't have appreciated the improvement. I told myself that I will give an honest opinion of the player after the mods. I won't let my mind trick me into hearing improvements that aren't there. I will truly let my ears be the judge. Hope they're impressed
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 62
Still loving my sacdmods 555es. I'm not determined to sell it anytime soon (unless i got SERIOUS money, and could move up a few notches in price). The playeris very smooth, detailed, and of course it is probably the best you could for 1200 or so they are priced used. I have found a great alternative using a DAC and cheaper transport, but the 555es cannot be beat as a standalone reference player at that range.

So yea i like it alot : ]

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 62
I had the C555ES for a while and was impressed with it in stock form. This is after having given the modded 222ES, a Benchmark DAC 1, Jolida JD-100, and Ack! dAck! a good listen. I am sure it will be kick-***** with the LC clock and ZapFilter. For a changer, its build quality is awesome.

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 62
Thanks to meech I am now caught up in this maddness! He brought the Philips DVD-963SA to my attention and pointed out an Audiogon auction. Next thing you know, I win the unit and it arrived this last Friday.

I think I might keep/play it a while before sending it off to SACDmods.com. My goal is to get a feel for what it sounds like pre-mods.

Anybody here have any experience with the Philips DVD-963SA?

Thanks again meech!
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back