just saw Where the Wild Things Are
Oct 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
beautiful to watch, painful to sit through. the story was just terrible. if editorial and visual get equal weight, i'll give it a 5 of 10. 4 points are for the visuals.

in a nutshell (highlight for semi-spoilers):

the morals of the story:
- kids can be simultaneously imaginative and dumb.
- no one is happy, even in your little fantasy world.
- wild rumpuses are overrated.
- if at first you don't succeed, quit and go home.
- max is a dick.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Yeah. It turns out that the movie is about leaving home to live in a hippie commune. Where all the hippies are whiny and depressed because they have emotional issues.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. It turns out that the movie is about leaving home to live in a hippie commune. Where all the hippies are whiny and depressed because they have emotional issues.

Sounds like a fair number of the hippies I've known.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 16
I saw it as the kid coming to terms with different parts of his personality and his family.
Then again I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 16
I get what they were trying to accomplish with the way the monsters were written. They're a mirror of any potential group of young adolescents.

I'm just saying it wasn't fun, and i don't feel as though i've been edified by it or otherwise given increase by having witnessed it.

Except that it was beautiful. The art direction and cinematography i mean.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 16
the character development was terrible. the storyline was terrible... Dave Eggers gets a big fat F- from me.

highlight the bottom of my original post and you'll see what i think.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the character development was terrible. the storyline was terrible... Dave Eggers gets a big fat F- from me.

highlight the bottom of my original post and you'll see what i think.

That's too bad - I had high hopes for Eggers' script. I was thinking about seeing it over the weekend and ended up spending a little too much time at the bar watching sports.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad - I had high hopes for Eggers' script. I was thinking about seeing it over the weekend and ended up spending a little too much time at the bar watching sports.

Probably better to be watching sports this weekend no matter the movie. There were a lot of great games on Friday and Saturday night.

On topic, my friends are pretty evenly split on whether they liked the movie, though I didn't get to see it as I was working late.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad - I had high hopes for Eggers' script...

Yeah, that's a real disappointment. It was the first film I was interested in going to see for a while.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 16
OR.. you could go see it and see what *you* think of it... I've never read the book so I went into it without and preconceptions, and I really liked it.. It's a bit more emotional than I expected for a "kids" movie. The creature faces are spectacular, in that you forget it's all studio trickery. The editing was also first class, if anything let the film down, it was a pretty heavy rather sad undertone running through the movie. I got the impression that Max wasn't ever really happy. That's kinda sad to see in a kid.

Oh and the music is fab too.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Wow, you just saved me from seeing this movie. This past weekend I saw Couples Retreat, Another waste of time, tried to be funny, wasn't, suppose to be in Tahiti, no scenery shots.....etc. At least the Indian restaurant before the movie was excellent.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 16
oh, and Tony Soprano as Carol the Monster was seriously distracting.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furry little things...

More like furry big things!

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Nice to have a solid adult appraisal, but, inquiring minds want to know...

...how would my 4- and 8-year old boys receive it?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back