Just RockBoxed my 5G Ipod Video!!
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Man I've heard so much about this little app that I thought I should give it a spin. Man whoah! This makes an Ipod sound even better than before! There is a jump in SQ that I could detect. I also like how customizable it is.

I also like the improved interface. Nice and clean.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 24
Nice to see that you like it...
Enjoy!
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 24
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 24
quick question, as I am considering getting a rockboxed ipod for my sister. Is the rockbox interface substantially more complicated than the standard ipod interface? she's kind of a technophobe and I don't think she will want to mess with something she can't just pick up and use.
Thanks

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question, as I am considering getting a rockboxed ipod for my sister. Is the rockbox interface substantially more complicated than the standard ipod interface? she's kind of a technophobe and I don't think she will want to mess with something she can't just pick up and use.
Thanks

My five-year old uses it on her E200 - navigation is pretty easy, imo. Obviously, she can stay away from the advanced settings, if she wants.

Probably the biggest hurdle will be explaining how to add / delete songs, imo. You can't use DRM'd music (which is still a large portion of the iTunes store). I think you can use iTunes DB itself to add/delete, but then you have to turn on the database option in Rockbox, and hope that things are tagged correctly. There are other audio apps that might be easier - foobar / Mediamonkey come to mind, for Windows.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 24
Hi!
How is the battery life?

Last time (2 months ago) I rockboxed my Ipod video I had terrible battery charge, like 4-5 hours max! It's the reason I reverted back to original Ipod.

Very frustating when the battery is discharging at a crazy rate.

Apart from that point, Rockbox should be available on all players, like an optional OS. It is great , very easy to use.

regards,

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
How is the battery life?

Last time (2 months ago) I rockboxed my Ipod video I had terrible battery charge, like 4-5 hours max! It's the reason I reverted back to original Ipod.

I ran a usability test on a 30GB iPod Video just yesterday, and I got ~5 hours of music. Keep in mind that I only tested Rockbox, and not the OF - my battery could be on it's way out. I thought the RB battery issues were fixed about 6 months back, so I don't know if there's something else going on.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 24
I wish they could launch a Rockbox for iPods 6th gen.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 24
The battery life on my 80gb 5.5 is pretty horrendous. I probably get 4-5 hours as well on it with Rockbox. Without, I probably get... 14?

I'm not sure how the Rockbox interface can be considered an improvement though. It's pretty obnoxious IMO. I only use it for the crossfeed and EQ.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 24
I considered doing it, but the installation process seems such a hassle. Am I wrong? Tried it on my Sansa e270, and it messed it up, so I had to revert to original OS. Maybe it's just me.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 24
It's pretty simple, they even give you an application to do it now, called Rockbox Utility or something. Even without it, all you need to do is drag that .rockbox folder into your iPod (or other player?) and execute some bootloader or something and then it's good to go.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 24
Yeah, only takes a few seconds to fully install it. It's awesome IMHO.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 24
@tstarn06 : There are different hardware versions of the E200 player. v1 is fine with Rockbox, v1 Rhapsody is fine as well (but requires a manual installation, the last time I checked). And v2 doesn't work yet, tmk. Check the Rockbox wiki, as I think it explains how to find out what version you have.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life on my 80gb 5.5 is pretty horrendous. I probably get 4-5 hours as well on it with Rockbox. Without, I probably get... 14?

I'm not sure how the Rockbox interface can be considered an improvement though. It's pretty obnoxious IMO. I only use it for the crossfeed and EQ.

Is that with the latest build? Apparently, the "randomly turn on and waste your battery while you're asleep" bug was fixed about two months ago.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 24
I got 8 hours music out of my ipod yesterday and still had 30% left on my battery.
ksc75smile.gif
I was not listening to it for the whole time as I forgot to switch it off when I came in and it was still playing a few hours later.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back