Just recieved my MS-1s
Mar 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!
After being part of this great community for a year or more, I finally decided to purchase my first "Head-Fi" can. Before that I only had the KSC75s and the EP630s.
My budget was 100$ so I bought the Alessandro MS-1 for 99$ incl. shipping!
I got it today and immediately plugged it into my 18 year old Sony 5 piece stereo. I heard Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" (7567-82638-2) and had some fun with it, when I turned the volume up, it still sounded great but it some "muddy" distortion. What is it and how can it be resolved?

I hate you head-fi! Now I see that my low-bitrate-mp3s suck and it's about 20 gigs of music.

Guy

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 18
You probably need an amp because every headphones I've tried under my signature doesn't distort even when I turn the volume WAY up.

Congrats about the MS1! I'm sure you'll buy a lot more gear from now on!

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But...but...KSC75 IS a "head-fi" headphone.

I bought because of head-fi suggestions. But I don't count it as a head-fi can because of it's price. I know you shouldn't judge gear by their price tag but I just don't like the KSC75 that much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably need an amp because every headphones I've tried under my signature doesn't distort even when I turn the volume WAY up.

Congrats about the MS1! I'm sure you'll buy a lot more gear from now on!

Got any specific suggestions?
And I hope I won't buy anymore gear
frown.gif

My wallet cries at night :p

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought because of head-fi suggestions. But I don't count it as a head-fi can because of it's price. I know you shouldn't judge gear by their price tag but I just don't like the KSC75 that much.

frown.gif

Your wallet will continue to cry unless you stop browsing on head-fi!
wink.gif

As for amp suggestions, for starters, a dac/combo(I'm gonna get flamed for this) would do for a starter rig. Perhaps the Zero(~$150?), Compass(~$250), and *gasps*...a sound card (Essence STX) that's been getting raved reviews?

Admittedly, I've never heard any of those, but I only recommend them based on their popularity amongst newer members for their starter rig.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Get a Cmoy Amp.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 18
Does anybody know about the "Improved ver. 2009" of the MS-1 that sell for 10$ more? What are the differences?

And congrats for those MS1!

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Just get an inexpensive amp if you're distorting. The MS series are essentially Grados and they don't need anything really fancy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 18
I checked it with an original CD of Led Zeppelin IV. Then I checked it with a lossless copy of it and then even checked it with Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" lossless.
Even if there's no music playing, and the headphone is plugged it I can still here some distortion. Why is it?

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 18
I conclude you're using onboard sound card?

Edit: The OP said he was using his Sony system.
Face, meet palm. *smack*

Without any sound, there is nothing to distort. So "distortion" might not be the word you're looking for.
Other than that, can't help you with anything. Have no idea what the 'distortion' is like. *blank look*

Congrats on the purchase, though! It's a good pair of headphones!

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I conclude you're using onboard sound card?

Edit: The OP said he was using his Sony system.
Face, meet palm. *smack*

Without any sound, there is nothing to distort. So "distortion" might not be the word you're looking for.
Other than that, can't help you with anything. Have no idea what the 'distortion' is like. *blank look*

Congrats on the purchase, though! It's a good pair of headphones!

It's not distortion. It's kind of a muddy sound, It's quite common in audio devices but it's really annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back