Just recieved my Little Dot II amplifier!
Jun 5, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ski91902

New Head-Fier
First impressions of the amp is good, everything arrived in one piece and it seems that all of the tubes were fine as well. For the price, it is a very good bargain and it seems that build quality is acceptable seeing that the amp only cost around 40 USD minus shipping.

However, there are some questions that I have -maybe this is true for all tube amps but when i tap the metal enclosure or touch the tubes with my nail there is a ringing sound which can be heard through my headphones- and there is a very slight crackel which is only audible at the lowest volume level-best way to decribe it would be radio static i guess??

Are these normal for an tube amp , or should I try swapping the tubes?
confused.gif

I also learned never to touch the drive tube socket-even when the amp is disconnected from AC power=---OUCH! quite a big shock
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by ski91902
However, there are some questions that I have -maybe this is true for all tube amps but when i tap the metal enclosure or touch the tubes with my nail there is a ringing sound which can be heard through my headphones- and there is a very slight crackel which is only audible at the lowest volume level-best way to decribe it would be radio static i guess??

Are these normal for an tube amp , or should I try swapping the tubes?
confused.gif

I also learned never to touch the drive tube socket-even when the amp is disconnected from AC power=---OUCH! quite a big shock
eek.gif

The tubes themselves are microphonic, and with these tubes, finding a set that isn't will be hit and miss, since they aren't commonly used.
That shock was the power supply caps discharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back