Just recieved my Little Dot II amplifier!
post-1413087
Post #1 of 2

ski91902

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
First impressions of the amp is good, everything arrived in one piece and it seems that all of the tubes were fine as well. For the price, it is a very good bargain and it seems that build quality is acceptable seeing that the amp only cost around 40 USD minus shipping.

However, there are some questions that I have -maybe this is true for all tube amps but when i tap the metal enclosure or touch the tubes with my nail there is a ringing sound which can be heard through my headphones- and there is a very slight crackel which is only audible at the lowest volume level-best way to decribe it would be radio static i guess??

Are these normal for an tube amp , or should I try swapping the tubes?

I also learned never to touch the drive tube socket-even when the amp is disconnected from AC power=---OUCH! quite a big shock

post-1413092
Post #2 of 2

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by ski91902
However, there are some questions that I have -maybe this is true for all tube amps but when i tap the metal enclosure or touch the tubes with my nail there is a ringing sound which can be heard through my headphones- and there is a very slight crackel which is only audible at the lowest volume level-best way to decribe it would be radio static i guess??

Are these normal for an tube amp , or should I try swapping the tubes?

I also learned never to touch the drive tube socket-even when the amp is disconnected from AC power=---OUCH! quite a big shock

The tubes themselves are microphonic, and with these tubes, finding a set that isn't will be hit and miss, since they aren't commonly used.
That shock was the power supply caps discharging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)