Just received my MG-Head OTL...
Oct 30, 2002 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
...and words cannot even come remotely close to what I am hearing right now. Every aspect of the music is 100x more defined. It was as if my headphones were a big block chevy but were only running on two cylinders.

After I set it up and turned the power on, i let it sit for around 10 minutes because i guess its supposed to warm up. I took a shower and came back and popped "BT-Movement In Still Life" (HDCD) into my CD player. Since i have not used any other amp (my portable HeadRoom Airhead is in the mail) i really dont have anything to compare it to except from the output on my Harman Kardon receiver and to make it simple, this is an entirely new CD. Everything from the bangin progressive trance, to break beats, to acoustic guitar, its a whole new experience. From what ive read about tube amps, people tend to say electronic music gets muddied, and if this is muddy, i couldnt imagine what a high end solid state amp would sound like.

MG-Head OTL owners: What exactally does "feedback" do on this amp? Also, how long should i burn the amp in before its running at top quality? Thanks!

ok... time to go back to another hour or so of sonic bliss.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 32
Congrats Andrew! Sounds like its pretty sweet.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 32
I also just ordered some new tubes for the amp. They are the Tesla (JJ) EL84 / 6BQ5 matched power tubes and a Raytheon 12AU7 pre-amp tube. After reading Nick Dangerous' tube rolling guide, i came to the conclusion that these should work nicely.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 32
Were did you get your amp? I had an older version it didn't have "crossfeed" . I'm guessing it has to do with the "negative feedback" something to do with using the transformers or not. Use the setting that sounds best.

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 32
Lextek- YGPM

Nick- I should be receiving the tubes tomorrow. Ill tell you what i think of them. Too bad the only other tubes i have to compare them to is the stock ones.

Oh.. and ive been running this amp all day and it keeps getting better and better. I just went through a bunch of Vivaldi tracks as well as some jazz and its just amazing. The depth of the music is sooo much better.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 32
Back to that question i had. Can someone explain the crossfeed switch?

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew LB
Back to that question i had. Can someone explain the crossfeed switch?

I don't know the MG from personal experience, but everything I know says it doesn't have crossfeed.

Are you sure it says "crossfeed", or could you be talking about feedback? IIRC, there is a way to turn off negative feedback in the MG Head's output.

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 32
Oct 31, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

I don't know the MG from personal experience, but everything I know says it doesn't have crossfeed.

Are you sure it says "crossfeed", or could you be talking about feedback? IIRC, there is a way to turn off negative feedback in the MG Head's output.

Oops. Im stupid. hehe. I meant feedback.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 32
crap. link busted

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 32
The tubes came this morning thanks to UPS express delivery. I first listened to a couple of my favorite tracks. I then popped them in, let the amp warm up, and listened to them again.

The bass seems to be deeper and more defined. Hard drum hits also seem to have more punch as does the midrange. The hi's seem to be a little thin though. I'm going to get them another listen back and forth.

The tubes i bought were:
Tesla (JJ) EL84 / 6BQ5 matched power tubes
Raytheon RA-12AU7

And my other set came with the OTL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back