Just received my k701s an hour ago
Oct 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blownsi

100+ Head-Fier
I just received the 701s today. They are not broken/burned in. I still haven't torn my LDmk2 apart yet to adjust the gain.

First impressions are as follows:
1) The LD seems underpowered(at stock gain setting.)
2) The 701s have a bit of siblance. Probably due to not being broken in.
3) They are comfy and attractive in a plasticy sort of way.
4) They are WAY better than the HD280s I upgraded from.
5) I am happy and I feel the best is yet to come.
6) Thank you Head-fi

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 15
Congrats on your K701.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 15
haha LK you're second pair? why two? one for recabling?

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely check the gain. If its on 3x (both DIP boxes on) you may need to bump it up 1 or 2 notches. 5x would likely work well with 701s. BTW, congrats!

Thanks for the tip... I will try the 5x setting first. I still don't quite understand what I am shooting for... all I know is that the akgs are 62ohm so I would think they need alot more power than 300ohm senns. I don't quite understand whether that means they require more or less gain
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 15
Since the MKII is an OTL tube amp, the higher impedance loads actually require more gain for the same volume level.

62 ohms would either be the lowest gain (most inverse feedback) or 2nd to last setting. Experiment and see what sounds best.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 15
62 ohms at what sensitivity is the question at hand here. The 701s are fairly low sensitivity phones so require more wattage than voltage (ohms law at work) so you still get a fair amount of amperes running through.

Glad you like the 701s, they are classy phones =D.

Dave

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blownsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all I know is that the akgs are 62ohm so I would think they need alot more power than 300ohm senns.

Exactly. My K701 is harder to drive than my HD650.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Congratulations on getting your AKG 701's. You are now one of the exhalted many who have reached the summit of hi-fi nirvana. I would rattle on, but it's late and I have to actually take a stab at grading some tests tomorrow am. I will grade them while wearing my AKG 701's.

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blownsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the 701s today. They are not broken/burned in. I still haven't torn my LDmk2 apart yet to adjust the gain.

First impressions are as follows:
1) The LD seems underpowered(at stock gain setting.)
2) The 701s have a bit of siblance. Probably due to not being broken in.
3) They are comfy and attractive in a plasticy sort of way.
4) They are WAY better than the HD280s I upgraded from.
5) I am happy and I feel the best is yet to come.
6) Thank you Head-fi

Can't comment on item #1 since I don't own an LDMKII, but my K701's definitely tax the pwr capability of my amps.

Don't remember any siblance, as stated in item #2, but do remember some early edginess and harshness which disappeared with break-in, so possibly (hopefully!) the siblance you now hear may disappear.

Believe your opinions stated in items 3 thru 6 unqualifiedly agree with mine.

FWIW, if you ever believe you are feeling any discomfort from the "nubby headband" syndrome, scope out juswya's http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hel...25/index4.html for solutions.

And yes, they will only get better and better!
cool.gif

Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Hey, don't forget you are now allowed to officially use the K701 emoticon!

k701smile.gif
<------

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back