Just received a large package...
Mar 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
The mailman just dropped off this strange box... wonder what's inside?

p30600559qn.jpg

Why, it's a modified Parasound 1500 DAC!

p30600516lp.jpg

So, I set it up and had a listen.

p30600536zg.jpg

First impressions are that this is a very smooth sounding source with a huge soundstage and extremely good bass definition (compared to the EMU 1212m). So far it's a bit too smooth for use with the HD-650/Zu, but should sound most excellent with any Grados.

It has BlackGate caps everywhere, OPA627 opamps & 4 x pcm63 select DAC chips. It also has balanced output which will be very handy for my next few upgrades
evil_smiley.gif
These retailed for $1500, but can be found relatively cheap these days. Definately a good solid upgrade from the EMU soundcards
smily_headphones1.gif
I am left wondering how it would compare to a newer 24/192 DAC though...

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
You wondered what was inside a box that said "Parasound 1500 Digital/Analog Converter"?
icon10.gif

Nah, just trying to add in a little suspense. Is it a bomb? A sock? WTH is it???
tongue.gif

Quote:

The guts look really impressive with all those Black Gates. What do the buttons on the front do?

The sheer amount of quality parts in this unit is what drew my attention. The parts alone are worth what I paid for it
tongue.gif

From left to right: Power, Polarity Invert, Digital Input selection (2 optical & 2 coaxial). Right next to the power button are LEDs that show sampling frequency & an error led.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Congrats! How is the sound compared to a high end CD player?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Honestly, I dunno. It's been a few months since I've had a chance to listen to a quality cdp. I'll be sure to do a comparison at the next meet.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 8
After listening for more than five hours now, and having compared the 1212m & the 1500 directly with Antony & the Johnsons debut album (which I am very familiar with and find to be well recorded), the Parasound adds another dimension to the music. The bass seems to blossom; it reaches much lower than the 1212m, and seems a lot more lifelike. The highs seem to be detailed, but a bit more recessed than I'm used to.

I also listened to Opeth's Blackwater Park, and was amazed at the sound. Still too early for complete impressions (need to try some high end units).. But, it is much better than anything I'm used to. Can't wait to recieve the RS-1, this DAC seems to be made for them!

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 8
WOW!!! Let us know how it all comes together when you get the RS1!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
RS1 + PPA should be a very quick, snappy, dynamic setup.

Garrett

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
So far it's a bit too smooth for use with the HD-650/Zu, but should sound most excellent with any Grados.

It has BlackGate caps everywhere, OPA627 opamps & 4 x pcm63 select DAC chips. It also has balanced output which will be very handy for my next few upgrades
evil_smiley.gif
These retailed for $1500, but can be found relatively cheap these days. Definately a good solid upgrade from the EMU soundcards
smily_headphones1.gif
I am left wondering how it would compare to a newer 24/192 DAC though...

That's pretty much the sound of blackgates, smooth.

Since this is using some nice upgraded parts, it has that as advantage over any stock unit.

Congrats on the acquisition. I probably wouldn't sell this item but build another system around another headphone if you want a different sound. It's good to have a smooth source around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back