DEL
Dec 27, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 14
now see you lost me there. do i actually look for a 6-12V adapter or do you mean either a 6V or 12V adapter.

also brand/where to purchase/etc. never had to buy a spare part for a piece of hardware that wasn't included with purchase. bear with me here.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 14
You can use any adapter with voltage rating b/w 6V to 12V (i.e. like 7.4V or 8.2V are both fine fine), with the right tips and polarity of course. Basically, any good brand of universal AC to DC adapter (regulated, I might add) should do the job just fine.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 14
I looked at the Radio shack website and found a couple AC adapters that should be fine.

The first link has 5 voltages which might be useful for other devices. You need to choose the correct size plug and it only includes one plug of your choice. It is rated at 1,000 mA

3-12V Regulated 1000mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

This one also has 5 voltages and has several plugs included. It is rated at 300 mA.

Regulated and Filtered Universal 300mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

I don't know what the optimal amperage would be for that Meier amp. You could email Dr. Meier for his advice.

When I owned a Meier Porta Corda MkIII amp, I used a Radio Shack adapter that had two voltages, here. The amp I had specified up to 28 volts but Dr. Meier gave me the OK to use the adapter with 30 volts.

There are many other places to buy these adapters but Radio shack can be an easy quick fix.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 14
can you tell what size i need just by looking at this:

move3back480.jpg

also this will be used for the 3move and the 3move only. if i can get one that works just as well for its specific purpose without all the varied options and save maybe 10 bucks or so i'd prefer it. trying to ease the blow to the $260 already spent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Just do a search for websites that sell AC adapters and go with the lowest price for a 12 volt regulated model. You might be taking a chance if you find one dirt cheap, that's why I prefer to buy in-store at Radio Shack for low cost items like this if they happen to carry so that it can be returned/exchanged if it doesn't work out. I brought my Meier amp into Radio Shack and matched the plug size to be sure.

I don't know what the plug size is. Other Move owners might be able to help.I could not download the manual, it might specify what the plug size is. If your manual does not give you the size, email Dr. Meier. The plug size will me in metric such as O.D.: 5.0mm. I.D.: 2.5mm

Connected to USB the amp can run from the 5V of the USB port eliminating the need for battery or external power through that jack.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Plug size according to Dr. Meier:

"The inside/outside diameters of the power plug should be
around 1.3/3.5 mm (0.05"/0.14"). Make sure that the inside
contact has positive voltage and the outside contact has
negative voltage!"

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Don't gamble the fate of your amp with a dirt cheap power supply. I purchased one for my SuperMini-IV for less than $5 and when I measured them using my Multimeter,the voltage supply is VERY unstable and my SUperMini-IV gets hot occasionally. Go for the regulated ones and pay a bit more - at least you will know that you will not fry your gears

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't gamble the fate of your amp with a dirt cheap power supply. I purchased one for my SuperMini-IV for less than $5 and when I measured them using my Multimeter,the voltage supply is VERY unstable and my SUperMini-IV gets hot occasionally. Go for the regulated ones and pay a bit more - at least you will know that you will not fry your gears

Very well said!

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 14
i got email back from jan who basically told me it depends on the country and to ask at a local shop but since this is online wheeling and dealing i'll just ask the specifics here for american outlets.

is there superiority between 9v and 12v and what is the recommended mA?

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 14
The specs for the 3 say:

Mean current uptake: 18 mA / 7mA
(high/low-current-consumption-mode)

I can only guess that this means that the amp only needs 18mA.

If I was buying this it would be the second model that I linked to...or something similar if you can find a better price online.

It might not even be available in store at Radio Shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back