Just picked up AKG q701's and 363D Sennies. What do I need now soundcard/dac/headphone amp?
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Exodus121

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, so I've pretty much bought the two headphones that complete my current audio phase of life.

Now as the title of the thread indicates I have the following.

i. AKG q701's - Super sale for $250(CAD)
ii. Sennheisers 363D 7.1's for gaming. - Super sale $199(CAD)

Now, I've snooped through the forums and the thread I found with my position is kind of the same however he said he was on a budget.
So my question is this.  I have a moderate budget.

I am willing to spend some $$$.

So far from what I gather I should get a Titanium HD.

I have no idea what a DAC is.  Do I need that?  
What about headphone amps?

I am an entry level guy looking to get dirty.

Also, when I mean $$$ I mean...well I am willing to spend within the $800 region.

Thanks guys I have really enjoyed reading the forums the wealth of information has been informing and steered me true every time.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't know much about the 363Ds. You may find that the Q701s sound just as good for gaming. Save the packaging on the 363Ds in case that is true :)

The Q701s can definitely benefit from some extra juice over straight computer audio output. Not sure if the Titanium HD is good to drive them. I would research and ask questions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't know much about the 363Ds. You may find that the Q701s sound just as good for gaming. Save the packaging on the 363Ds in case that is true
smily_headphones1.gif

The Q701s can definitely benefit from some extra juice over straight computer audio output. Not sure if the Titanium HD is good to drive them. I would research and ask questions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Ahhh okay!

Actually, I got the 363D's because I wanted an extra pair of headphones that I didn't care too much about. 

I can leave my akg's at home and let them stay forever gold while my 363d's can be lugged around in a ruck sack and I wouldn't mind because they won't be my 'good' headphones.  They are still great but the akg's are my babies while my senns can be stuffed in a bag.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 11
If you buy a soundcard, you won't need a DAC. A DAC is essentially a USB soundcard that's optimized for music (whereas the kind of soundcard you install in your computer is more likely to have gaming features such as Dolby Headphone).

A computer soundcard will also have a built-in amp. I'm not sure how good the amp on the Titanium HD. If you buy a USB DAC, you will need a separate amp.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 11
If you buy a soundcard, you won't need a DAC. A DAC is essentially a USB soundcard that's optimized for music (whereas the kind of soundcard you install in your computer is more likely to have gaming features such as Dolby Headphone).

A computer soundcard will also have a built-in amp. I'm not sure how good the amp on the Titanium HD. If you buy a USB DAC, you will need a separate amp.

Yeah, see all this information overload is getting to me!

It's my first time and I'm kinda scared and want to get it right. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 11
If I were you, I'd keep it simple and just buy this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

I haven't actually owned this gear, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but the ODAC and O2 are some of the most popular pieces of equipment on this website, so they have to be doing something right. You get a DAC and an amp in one box. All you need. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 11
If I were you, I'd keep it simple and just buy this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

I haven't actually owned this gear, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but the ODAC and O2 are some of the most popular pieces of equipment on this website, so they have to be doing something right. You get a DAC and an amp in one box. All you need. 

I've owned it. The ODAC/O2 combo will drive the Q701s, and it's a great sounding setup. Most people also seem to feel it is comparable to the Schiitt Modi/Magni stack (or they fight over which is better--lol).

I run the Schiit Asgard 2 and the standalone ODAC together. The Asgard 2 is nice because it has a pre-amp for plugging up powered speakers or a speaker amp. :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 11
I've owned it. The ODAC/O2 combo will drive the Q701s, and it's a great sounding setup. Most people also seem to feel it is comparable to the Schiitt Modi/Magni stack (or they fight over which is better--lol).

I run the Schiit Asgard 2 and the standalone ODAC together. The Asgard 2 is nice because it has a pre-amp for plugging up powered speakers or a speaker amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I pick up the Soundblaster Creative ZXR I won't run into some sort of redundancy issue will I if I get the ODAC/O2 as well?

EDIT: I mean, regardless I still need a sound card and the software for the creative zxr seems like a game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back