Just picked up a pair of the "mysterious" Beyerdynamic DT811
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrPhilicorda

Head-Fier
Well, actually I bought two pairs of them from a guy who was clearing his inventory... :) I got a bit curious since there doesn't appear to be much info to be found on these. Makes me think they must be relatively rare because there are none to be found on ebay either.

They are supposedly from the mid nineties and on the box it says they are the successor to the DT990, and they do share resemblance. I thought they would have been semi-open design like the DT880, but they are actually open according to the specs on the box.

Compared to my DT880 (which are my main cans at the moment) they do sound more open. They have a wider soundstage and slightly better instrument separation. They have noticeably more bass but not overwhelmingly so. I rather like the way they sound after having spent 1-2 hours with them, but I look forward to giving them more time and see how my impressions develop.

Does anyone else have any info or experience with the DT811?

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 4
There are some threads talk about DT811 on head-fi, you can search.
I have a DT911 and it sounds good to me.
Have not had a chance to hear DT811 yet, so can not talk too much about it.

Do you have a plan to sell one? since you got two. I may be interested to get one to compare to my DT911.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 4
  There are some threads talk about DT811 on head-fi, you can search.
I have a DT911 and it sounds good to me.
Have not had a chance to hear DT811 yet, so can not talk too much about it.

Do you have a plan to sell one? since you got two. I may be interested to get one to compare to my DT911.

Yes, I found one or two threads mentioning the DT811, but nothing really substantial.

I actuall bought both of them with the intent of selling the other, but now I'm not sure. I'm not quite sure what they are worth either since they appear to be so rare that they don't show up for sale anywhere. I see the DT911 are commanding quite high prices on ebay though, up to around 200 € for good condition. PM me if you want to make an offer, but as I said, I'm not sure I want to sell the other anymore. :)

Actually I was experimenting with them yesterday. I felt the bass was sligthly overwhelming compared to my DT880 (which are known for lacking bass....) so I ended up cutting a 3,5 cm diameter circle out of 10 mm foam and placed it right behind the driver inside ear cup. The result was rather subtle but surprisingly good. Now they have all the treble and mid sweetness of the DT880's but the bass is stronger, but not overwhelming like before. The DT811 are really growing on me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back