Just ordered the LA7000 and need advice with a suitable DAC+Amp
Aug 1, 2011 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

meemorize

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,
hopefully the LA7000 qualifies for this high-end forum, if not apologies.

So as the title says, I've just put my order in with Mark Lawton and I'm now about 12 weeks away from my very own LA7000 headphone.

This being my first foray into the high-end section of head-fi I need to upgrade my current source gear as I currently only have a NuForce Icon Amp for use with my Alessandro MS-1 and ATH-M50s as well as uDac-2 at work for the M50s.

Clearly the LA7000 deserves/needs something much better, so I thought it best to put it towards you and ask for your advice.

What is a great DAC + Amp that goes well with the LA7000?
My budget is around US$1500 for both, but if this is absolutely too low then I could spend a little more even though I'd prefer not to.

I'd prefer a single unit that combines the DAC and Amp but if there is a good reason to go with 2 separate units I'd be happy to check them out.
A DAC is definitely needed as all audio comes from my Mac Pro computer.

My current favourite, unfortunately mostly based on looks and other peoples opinion alone, is the Burson Audio HA-160D.
Has anyone got experience with the 160D and the LA7000, do they synergize well together?

Any thoughts, ideas, solutions and propositions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

PS: I have a pair of NHT Absolute Zero bookshelf speakers that are currently being driven by the NF Icon Amp, if there is a solution (within budget) that would allow me to drive these speakers with the setup that would be a great bonus, but it's definitely a secondary concern and should not have an impact of the headphone out quality.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 9
A good solid state amp is definitely best with Denon headphones, stock or modified, IMO.  The Burson HA-160D would probably be a good choice, though I can't say from experience.

For separate amp/DAC options in your budget, something like an M^3, HeadAmp GS-1, or even a used 2-channel Beta22 could be good options.

As for DACs, there are lots of choices.  One that might be worthwhile looking at is Schiit's upcoming Bifrost DAC, which is set to start shipping at the end of the month.  Looks to be pretty feature-rich and it might set the performance bar in its price range.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Anedio D1 DAC/AMPs (AMPs section is highend and powerful enough to drive LA7000), HA-160D, Matrix Quattro DAC/Matrix Quattro AMPs, D100+A100.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 9
Audio gd NFB-10WM or Sabre. Balanced DAC + Balanced AMP in 1 case - great value imo.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey guys,
sorry about the silence on my part.

I appreciate all you chiming in, and am happy to announce I have purchased the 160D, it's sitting right here next to me as I type this and I am really liking the unit. Looks and sounds are great, though I still have a few weeks to wait for the LA7000 to arrive so for now I am using them with my Alessandro MS1 and ATH-M50 which is a bit of an odd match up to such a good dac/amp but sounds good nevertheless.

Thanks again folks!

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Solid state amps have always produced the best synergy with the Denons for me, however Mr Headphone addict is the guy whose knowledge would be most helpful to you.
He rates the LA7000 very highly and has matched them with many amps. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
A good solid state amp is definitely best with Denon headphones, stock or modified, IMO.  The Burson HA-160D would probably be a good choice, though I can't say from experience.

As for DACs, there are lots of choices.  One that might be worthwhile looking at is Schiit's upcoming Bifrost DAC, which is set to start shipping at the end of the month.  Looks to be pretty feature-rich and it might set the performance bar in its price range.

I second the Burson from my experience.  It's my current setup.  One can argue that you don't need Burson to drive the Denon.  Probably true, but it sounds awesome.  Frankly, I prefer my headphone setup better than my B&W system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back