just ordered the er4p
May 23, 2002 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok I now know what to do with my fixup adapter. I will use it on my er4p etys that I just ordered fron TOD at headroom. I will use the etys for my portable rig and hope that this will end my constance search for better portable sound. I will be useing my mini disc and portable radio plus the total airhead amp. TOD said that the sound will rivel my 580s and if this is the case I will be very happy with my portable rig.
ps.
TOD said that I might not like the sound with the adapter to make the 4p to 4ps because the 4ps has more high end. Do any members have the 4p and adapter to 4ps and like that better than the 4p? Or is the 4p great just like it is?
pps
when I say portable I mean sitting on park bench or in back yeard not walking around.

May 23, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 11
IMO, the differences in the high end with and without the adapter cable are fairly subtle, at least to these old ears. I think you'll definitely want to leave the adapter cable off when you're listening directly to the headphone out on your R-700. There will be a big difference on a source that under-powered. Absolutely use the cable when you're using your amps and prepare to be amazed!

May 23, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 11
OneMalt
I use my total airhead on all my portable stuff. Will the total airhead be to strong for the 4p. Also with my total airhead will the adapter to make the 4p to 4ps sound mich better? look at it this way. mini disc 5 m/w total airhead 4p or 4ps. What will sound better? Please respond for this is excieting for me. Thank you.

May 23, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Since your R-700 doesn't have a line out, your Airhead is only making the output louder, not necessarily better. An amp really needs a line out (as opposed to the headphone out) to shine. So no, I don't think this combo will "overpower" the Etys, it'll just make them loud. You might even prefer the Etys straight out of the R-700...no adapter or amp in between. Experiment and see what sounds best to you.

May 23, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 11
The bigger question is how well does the total airhead work using the headphone output instead of a line out.

The total airhead does have a volume control if the sound is too loud.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

May 23, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 11
d_wilson
SIR:
Will the total airhead make the er4p sound better than just the mini player? And would you use the adapter to make it a er4ps and the total airhead and mini player?

May 23, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 11
The total airhead is a better amplifier than the $.29 op amp in the mini-disk player, and will make any headphone sound better. The ER-4S is a flatter response, but which you will prefer is up to you.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

May 23, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 11
d_wilson
Thank you for taking the time to respond. TOD knows a bit about my tast in cans and feels that I would like the er4p better than the er4ps. He said that the er4p has better bass and softer highs and I like useing my total airhead for the crose feed and it seens to make the sound stronger even at the same level then without it. Thanks again for responding

May 24, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Do the etys need a breakin like most other cans? If so how long?

My Etys were the first really good headphones I ever owned, so they sounded great to me right out of the box. However, they kept getting better for quite awhile.

I would say that 100 hours is a nice round number to shoot for for full breakin, but they will probably sound good right out of the box. IIRC, bass became much more noticeable as they broke in, but the Ety bass takes some getting used to anyway, so that is also hard to determine.

May 24, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 11
My Etys were also the first really good headphones I owned. They sounded great right out of the box and keep getting better and better even after several months. When I listen to them I am absolutely astounded by how good they sound, it just doesn't seem possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back