Just ordered the AKG K701; a few q's...
Mar 26, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
3/25/06

1.) I special-ordered from Guitar Center (had $250 store credit there); anybody know approx. how long this is gonna be?

2.) Are they able to be recabled? Is it REALLY worth it?

3.) I plan to buy the PA2V2; just gotta get the money first...but does an amp make it pretty much a night and day difference?

kk, thanx for ur answers!

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
3/25/06

1.) I special-ordered from Guitar Center (had $250 store credit there); anybody know approx. how long this is gonna be?

Most of the retailers are hearing from AKG anywhere from "end of this month" to somewhere early in April. *shrugs*

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 13
As a k701 owner, I can say they are pretty much unlistenable sans amp. With their impedence, youre going to want one for even listenable volume levels. That being said, what is the source?

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 13
It's going to either be my computer w/ Audigy 2 ZS, or iPod 5G.

Edit: Oh snap, Scotty, we seem to have the exact same IEMs and headphones! 0_o wow...

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

3/25/06

3.) I plan to buy the PA2V2; just gotta get the money first...but does an amp make it pretty much a night and day difference?

1.) No idea, but as stated above, probably 2nd week April.

2.) Yes they are. No. YMMV

3.) Definitely...Definitely...Definitely.

Enjoy,
Jim

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

3/25/06

1. two and a half millennia. My local GC hadn't even HEARD of the model.

2. Yes. Debating that myself.

3. As far as sound quality, a lower end amp will make a noticeable difference, but you may be better off saving for a nice one. It also depends very much upon your listenable volume levels. I can actually get my K701s louder than I want to hear on my PowerBook without an amp; the sound quality isn't as good, even on my lowly Cmoy, but still, I think it really depends upon your hearing. (I have a sneaking suspicion that, despite being very knowledgeable about headphones and hearing loss, the Head-Fi community at large is going deaf; or, alternatively, I am a mutant).

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 13
"Powerbook G4 -> Altoid-style CMoy -> AKG K701"

Forget recabling, your source and amp aint giving the K701's the support it needs to really shine. Such a highend phone deserves a better source.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 13
It's not when you have a mad dad who thinks spending money on "worthless things" makes you depressed.
tongue.gif

So, is a PA2V2 good for the time being?

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

It also depends very much upon your listenable volume levels. I can actually get my K701s louder than I want to hear on my PowerBook without an amp; the sound quality isn't as good, even on my lowly Cmoy, but still, I think it really depends upon your hearing. (I have a sneaking suspicion that, despite being very knowledgeable about headphones and hearing loss, the Head-Fi community at large is going deaf; or, alternatively, I am a mutant)

Some are going deaf. I said, some are going deaf.

Seriously, the 701 isn't as profoundly greedy for power as, say, the DT880s (which I also like) and there are any number of contexts where it sounds perfectly fine by itself. That said, a good amp will fill out the sound nicely.

I've never been a great fan of any of the sub-$100 amps, soundwise, but the Xenos 3HA, Portaphile, or any number of used amps that appear here will more than satisfy you until upgradeitis hits.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Footnote: A fairly well thought of online retailer from the East Coast just sent me a notification email that they have received some 701's in stock. They are not forum sponsors.

So, hopefully that's an indicator that maybe AKG has FINALLY started moving some more product our way.

If my current preorder of the last month weren't such an unbeatable price from one of forum sponsors, I might be tempted to make a move myself, but I can be patient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Gah, I want the K701s more and more...It may take up to four months to get the, the guy told me
eek.gif
But I hope it'll come within a month.

But I would have killed something to have the serial number be 1337
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 13
I ordered mine last Monday and they were posted on Friday.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back