Just Ordered My Polk Reference XM Tuner!
Nov 6, 2004 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Its on sale right now, and shipping from Polk. They are featuring $30.00 off list price, and free shipping. Can't wait for it to arrive, I LOVE XM radio, and this should improve sound quality very significantly.

JC

Nov 6, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 35
Let me know what you think about it...I'm commuting 2+ hours a day, and regular AM/FM radio is getting old. I'm curious about the sound quality especially.

Maybe you can bring it to the next Detroit meet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Let me know what you think about it...I'm commuting 2+ hours a day, and regular AM/FM radio is getting old. I'm curious about the sound quality especially.
Maybe you can bring it to the next Detroit meet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

For anyone commuting any length of time each day, I would think XM would be worth its weight in gold, ET. And the sound quality of the stations I listen to on XM is very good, zero complaints.

JC

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 35
Use XM every day on the way home and to work. I never listen to normal radio anymore. Music selection is great, comedy is good, traffic and weather stations are more accurate than local broadcasts. Not to mention O&A are back on XM, making the trips much more fun.

Nov 9, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
Isn't this a home only unit?
confused.gif

The Polk is indeed a home unit, but I assumed ElrodTom's questions were derived from a possible interest in XM, in moving to XM, in general. One can purchase this unit for home, and add an inexpensive Delco model to their car and have everything covered. Or, simply purchase the Delco unit, which pops out of its "home" mount, and goes with you to the car (or an optional boombox too).

JC

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I think I’ll wait, and see what you think before I bite the bullet.
biggrin.gif
I definitely like the clean, and sleek look of it, and it’s even black.
tongue.gif

http://www.polkaudio.com/xm/faq.php?p=

I understand your caution. I've also got 30 days to audution it, and if I'm not happy, I can send it back. I find it hard to believe this wouldnt be a major improvement over the Delphi mini units though. Not that I've been at all unhappy with mine, other than some issues with the strange, non-intuitive control scheme. I'm simply thinking that Polk is a pretty solid manufacturer, and they have obviously upgraded the design and parts quality quite a bit. It "should" make a serious difference. And the price is quite reasonable too. So we shall see.
I'll keep you posted.

JC

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 35
JC,

I went ahead and ordered one today. I'm looking forward to getting this Skyfi and dac off my desk.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 35
The package from Polk came today, and I got things connected up right away. From the moment I turned it on the improvement in all aspects of sound was very clear. Certainly having the ability to use real interconnects is an advantage, but there is more to it than that.
Compared to my Delphi Sky-fi unit, the soundstage is larger, more open, and gives one a sense of 3D imagery. This has upgraded my whole XM experience in terms of sound quality. Its never sounded this good before.
Highly recommended.

JC

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 35
JC,
Will your old antenna to your Delphi connect to your new Polk? The reason I am asking is because I just bought a 50 foot extension for my Delphi not too long ago, and I would like to know if I can still use it with the Polk. Thanks!

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
...Compared to my Delphi Sky-fi unit, the soundstage is larger, more open, and gives one a sense of 3D imagery. This has upgraded my whole XM experience in terms of sound quality. Its never sounded this good before.
Highly recommended.

JC

How would you compare the sound to, say, redbook cd? In the past I've heard people rave about the selection and content of the programming offered, but they tend to not go on and on about the sound quality or fidelity, usually saying that it sounds compressed and lacking in dynamic range, which I would think is less than the "CD quality" that XM and Sirius bill it as. Do you believe that this really presents an increase in sound quality to the point that it compares with CDs? If so, then this is what I've been holding out for and will order one right away.

I do expect this medium to continue to improve in the future and that they are heading toward offering multi-channel broadcasts. I know all the new cars at work (the more expensive ones at least) are also adding multi-channel systems. The lincoln I've been working on will have a THX system available.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 35
The late Bob Akin once remarked about the racing characteristics of the Porsche 935 "You can't make a racehorse out of a pig, but you CAN make a REALLY fast pig!"

Now, I believe that Polk can wring many levels of improvement over previous XM technology, however, they still must butt heads against the low ceiling of compression that they utilize. It's fine in an automobile environment, but I would be skeptical of any hi-fi applications with the present satelite's in orbit.

Perhaps Tuberoller (as a stockholder) has more information on XM's future upgrade path?

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
JC,
Will your old antenna to your Delphi connect to your new Polk? The reason I am asking is because I just bought a 50 foot extension for my Delphi not too long ago, and I would like to know if I can still use it with the Polk. Thanks!

No problem, I'm using the old cable myself, so no worries.

JC

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmzzz01
How would you compare the sound to, say, redbook cd? In the past I've heard people rave about the selection and content of the programming offered, but they tend to not go on and on about the sound quality or fidelity, usually saying that it sounds compressed and lacking in dynamic range, which I would think is less than the "CD quality" that XM and Sirius bill it as. Do you believe that this really presents an increase in sound quality to the point that it compares with CDs? If so, then this is what I've been holding out for and will order one right away.

XM via the Polk sounds significantly less compressed than the Delphi does. Thus my comments about the much expanded soundstage. My personal opinion is that, of the half dozen or so, channels I listen to, the overall quality with the Polk is now close enough to cd that I'm extremely happy. And note that I am listening to this in the most challenging way possible, with a very high quality headamp, good interconnects (which you have the option of using for the first time with the Polk) and the Grado PS-1's. If the sound wasnt very good, I would NOT be happy.
It's also very little risk to try this out, as Polk is offering a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy if you arent happy, even including free return shipping. You sign up for XM on a month by month basis, and so, for the total of $9.95 you can audition both XM and the Polk.
I would be extremely surprised if you wanted to give up either, in the end.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back