Just ordered my Audioengine A2's!
Jul 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

morguk

New Head-Fier
Very happy, just ordered these little beauties!
I hope i made the right choice in choosing them over the Acoustic Energy Aego M's. Any quick personal reviews of them?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I've not heard the other speakers you considered, but I'm thinking you will be pleased.

Just got a pair the other day, and I'm amazed at the sonics these little beauties produce. I'm considering taking the plunge for the subwoofer too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the other speakers you considered, but I'm thinking you will be pleased.

Just got a pair the other day, and I'm amazed at the sonics these little beauties produce. I'm considering taking the plunge for the subwoofer too.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Aego's have good reviews, but because they are 2.1 some reviews say they lack decent midrange

The only reason i would want the Aego's is because they have a sub, but as you said, Audioengine also have an optional sub!
wink.gif
So if i feel i need to and have the money i will do that!
biggrin.gif

Whats the clarity of the A2's like? What types of music sound best on them?

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, they are wonderful with anything accoustic. They can be a bit congested with music that has a lot of low bass, but less so than I would have expected. They have better impact than I would have expected as well.

These speakers have nailed midrange, which for me is the key to any good speaker. They also generate a surprising volume without distortion.

Right now I'm listening to Depeche Mode's "Clean", and it sounds, well, very clean and crisp. The drum hits have thump and presence, and the sound is very full overall.

You'll like them, I feel certain.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I'm considering taking the plunge for the subwoofer too.
smily_headphones1.gif

The A5s have a subwoofer output, the A2's do not.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A5s have a subwoofer output, the A2's do not.

Regardless of this, the A2 can be used with the Audioengine AS8 subwoofer.

The following is a link to the setup manual for the AS8. On page 9, it shows how the subwoofer may be used with the A2 speakers.

http://audioengineusa.com/store/guid...e_REVA-web.pdf

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Regardless of this, the A2 can be used with the Audioengine AS8 subwoofer.

The following is a link to the setup manual for the AS8. On page 9, it shows how the subwoofer may be used with the A2 speakers.

http://audioengineusa.com/store/guid...e_REVA-web.pdf

You're right.

I was thinking that configuration wouldn't work so well with the volume control (thought it was front mounted). I see the volume is actually on the back so I guess your meant to control the volume at the source anyway. Yeah that should work fine.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by morguk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elrod-Tom how do you have your A2's set up? I hear they can be very directional? Thanks for the replys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now they're set up on top of my old TV in the basement, and I'm using them to listen to music while I work out. They do seem directional, but nothing problematic IMHO.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the A5's and a Velodyne VX-10.

Instead of using the Sub-Out I went mini out from the sound card and connected that to the line-in's on the sub...Then went out to the A5's because the VX-10 has a cross over.

Nothing below 80mhz gets to the A5's and it really cleaned up the sound at higher volumes.

You could do the same thing with the A2's.

When I had those I took a pair of cheap 5.1 Logitechs and connected the A2's to the line out...Connected the Sub Center and the Left and Right front speakers to the rear surround.

I could adjust the sub with the volume control on it and kinda fill in the sound with the volume control from the front speakers connected to the L&R surround.

Not the best sound quality though at higher volumes...Sub was boomy and it muddied up the mid's.

Using the cross over from the sub really did make a world of difference with the A5's so it would only stand to reason it would do the same for the A2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back