Just ordered Hornet + Etys :)
Mar 16, 2006 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like Ray had the Hornet ready to go and Todd was also very quick to ship the Ety ER4S and cardas IC. Can't wait til it arrives (guessing ~7-10 days to Australia).

Will be interesting to see what I hear going from iRiver H140>Sony EX71s straight up to iRiver>Hornet>ER4S. I expect a significant change for the better
etysmile.gif

Will also be good to actually drive my HD650s at home with an AMP instead of just the nad hp jack. I don't think I'm getting the best out of them so far - hopefully an amp will correct that!
580smile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like Ray had the Hornet ready to go and Todd was also very quick to ship the Ety ER4S and cardas IC. Can't wait til it arrives (guessing ~7-10 days to Australia).

Will be interesting to see what I hear going from iRiver H140>Sony EX71s straight up to iRiver>Hornet>ER4S. I expect a significant change for the better
etysmile.gif

Will also be good to actually drive my HD650s at home with an AMP instead of just the nad hp jack. I don't think I'm getting the best out of them so far - hopefully an amp will correct that!
580smile.gif

Congratulation on the purchase. Hope to get a full review once you have it.

eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Great set-up, but just be sure to give the Hornet time to settle in before making a definitive judgement.
tongue.gif

At first listen the Hornet will inject some wild bass if that's your thing
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
At first listen the Hornet will inject some wild bass if that's your thing
tongue.gif

Ety's just arrived
smily_headphones1.gif
Hornet hasn't though, so I'm just listening with the Ety's out of the iRiver H140's headphone jack, which has 20mV (mA?) whichever they quote, output, my old old iRiver only had 8 (insert measurement here) which was about the best at the time, so this headphone jack is pretty loud and is able to drive the Ety's to fine listening level at about 24/40. Of course the quality probably isn't what it's going to be with the Hornet though!

Anyway, a few things from my first hour's experience:

The Ety's will benefit from the bass boost mentioned above, and I'm not surprised not many ppl run these Ety's without amplification. As detailed as they are, the bass is slightly lacking (I currently have it boosted on the EQ to make up for that until the Hornet arrives). It's set to about 2/3 boost just to bring the bass up to what I feel is about the same volume as the rest of the sound spectrum.

When they arrived, I noticed the driver's weren't pressed fully into the ear pieces like the manual says. So anyone who doesn't read the manual will always have the drivers about 1-2mm further away from their ear drums than they're meant to be. This could explain some people's inability to get what they felt was a decent seal, or why ppl though their was bass lacking.

Anyway, I can't say much more since I'm unamped and only 1 hour in. I'll post more about long term comfort and sound quality when the Hornet arrives!

Just one thing though: A Perfect Circle use a LOT more ambient sound effects than I ever thought
smily_headphones1.gif
Definitely great headphone/earphone music.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolo_fd
i hope ur not expecting a lot of bass. cause these iems won't give u that amped or not.

Nah it's kool I know they aren't the biggest on bass - I'm after detail first and foremost. I'm just expecting detailed bass, which it is. I boost the bass slightly with EQ where I feel it's needed. So far I'm finding metal and rock need between 1/3-2/3 boost to get a nice bit of chunk/weight into the bass guitar and rhythm guitar palm mutes, or for fast electronica stuff. This causes a slight loss of detail at the other end of the spectrum but it's not really missed for this kind of music. For everything else I have the EQ flat and it all sounds great, very detailed and good depth. Mids are nice and warm and treble actually does sparkle (never though I'd use that term hahaha).

So far I can get the same seal with flange vs foams so sticking with flanges. I don't think insertion depth is an issue but they are definitely wider than my last ones (sonys). Will take some getting used to.

How's that for timing!!!! only 2 hours after I posted about the Ety's arriving, the Hornet arrives!! Lucky at least one of the batteries appears to come charged, cos I didn't bring my US > AU adapter to work. The Hornet definitely imparts an extra dimension to the Ety's. Can't wait to get the Hornet home and hear my HD650's
smily_headphones1.gif

I will say, without any EQ at all, rock/metal can be ever so slightly harsh through this DAP/IEM/amp combo but I'm gonna wait til they've burnt in about 200 hours and then make a judgement. With a little EQ I'm VERY happy for now. There is much listening ahead! Man, the Hornet is small
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 17
I upgraded from the ety er6i's to the 4s' and it is a completely different league, a higher order of sound. Combine that with a fine Ray Samuels amp and you will be very pleased. Do not worry if there is anything significantly better. You are (pretty much) done.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 17
perfect choice :wink:)
After 200h of burning in you will really, really like it! Especially with the HD650. I have the same combination (interesting, isn´t it?) and I love it!
cheers
Martin

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Honestly with the 650s and the Horent most would say that for both you need a fair bit more than 20 hours, more like 300 hours or so for optimal burn in point.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 17
IMHO the bass of the ER´s is OK. For travelling etc. they are perfect.
enjoy!

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 17
I cannot tell. I use the Hornet for 250h now. I recognized a first big difference after 200h. But you are right, it needs at least 300h.. same thing with the cans.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 17
i've been tempted to get another pair of the 4p/s to use with my hornet...great IEMs, they are. i like my er6i well enough, but i miss the er4s with classical pieces.

well-amped, the er4s has more than enough bass, IMO. it's not boomy, in-your-face bass like you might get with some sonys or a car subwoofer, but it's there and it's tight and it's actually deep. i like the bass it produces.

let us know how you like the combo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back