Just ordered Denon D2000. A question.
Nov 19, 2008 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

peanuthead

500+ Head-Fier
Just ordered from Headroom for $250! $299 - $49 = $250 (Promotional code D2000 at checkout.)
I've been a "sensible/cheap audiophile" for a long time, but this is my first serious foray into headphones (except for Senn PX100 with iPod). With a newborn on the way, I definitely cannot blast my system like I'm used to.
I'm planning on using it without an amp initially (plugged into my receiver or iPod). Any comments from other D2000 users on whether an amp makes a big difference with this headphone or not? I'm really hoping that I'll be happy without an amp for a while...and dreading the "sorry 'bout the wallet" recommendations.
wink_face.gif
Looking forward to your comments/recommendations. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I recently purchased the D5000 from Headroom and found a good DAC greatly improved the bass. In fact there was suddenly so much bass it took a little getting used to, but now I love it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 7
depending on the headphone output of your receiver, you may not only have a decent headphone amp, you may indeed have a great one
smily_headphones1.gif

nothing like experimentation
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Welcome to the site. An amp will improve it, specially in the bass (tightening it) and in dynamics/volume; and opening more the sound (the soundstage in general).
Of course that depend which amp you'll use. But they will not improve a lot, as other headphones do...

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Welcome.
If you could use something else than an ipod then the denons could get better.
biggrin.gif

But if you are just used to the px100 on the ipod then the d2000 even without amp and driven by your ipod will certainly already make a huge difference with the px100 and keep you happy for a while.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Yup. Only problem you might have is driving it loud enough, but if you use a receiver you should get enough juice.
smily_headphones1.gif
All it means is you can start saving up for a nice amp or amp/dac combo and get a good upgrade later on. It's what I did with my Grado 325is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back