Just ordered Beyerdynamic DT-990
Nov 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

milkweg

Banned
$299.99 USD from Electronica Direct - Computer Products, Parts and Accessories

Because I am in Canada my only shipping option was 2 day air@$45.00 USD.
frown.gif

Hope the courier doesn't stiff me for brokerage fees. Had to order from the US because I can find no Canadian dealer online that has Beyerdynamic. This is to replace my Senn HD595. My amp options right now are only Onkyo 505, Audiolab 8000A or EMU-0404. None are ideal so what headphone amps have good synergy with DT-990? Nothing too expensive, say $300.00 or so.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 31
i really hope you don't get slapped with customs taxes/brokerage fees. let us know if you do or not.
as for amps, i say go for the Meier Arietta. i find it adds some much needed warmth to the dt990s and its crossfeed (which i strongly prefer to keep on) takes the edge off of the highs a bit, which helps to keep sibilance low.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 31
Taxes are ok but brokerage fees just make me see red. I'l let you know how it goes via PM. That Meir Arietta would be nice to have as I would really like an amp with crossfeed. I'll see how it sounds on my other amps first though. Why does DT990 need added warmth? I read that they have good bass and I don't like dark sounding headphones anyway. Sibilance? I read they have detailed high end and nothing about sibilance. Are you saying I just ordered crap headphones?

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taxes are ok but brokerage fees just make me see red. I'l let you know how it goes via PM. That Meir Arietta would be nice to have as I would really like an amp with crossfeed. I'll see how it sounds on my other amps first though. Why does DT990 need added warmth? I read that they have good bass and I don't like dark sounding headphones anyway. Sibilance? I read they have detailed high end and nothing about sibilance. Are you saying I just ordered crap headphones?

you didn't order crap (otherwise i wouldn't have them
tongue.gif
). i just feel they're sibilant in some modern recordings. they're definitely bright headphones, and they have excellent but non-intrusive bass. i think the bass is spot on, very non-fatiguing, detailed and just plain enjoyable. the highs are great, but just too much in quantity, i eq them down a bit to keep them from bothering me (i have sensitive ears to sibilance). because of the towering highs, the great midrange on these cans gets recessed into the background. try it out, you'll know what i mean. it also depends a lot on your recordings, i find sibilance mostly in badly recorded modern pop/rap/rock songs (most of them).

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 31
Completely agree....
In other hand, Milkweg, is it the 2005 edition? (well i think because of the price, but doing a search, it is the image of the Pro...)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say go for the Meier Arietta. i find it adds some much needed warmth to the dt990s and its crossfeed (which i strongly prefer to keep on) takes the edge off of the highs a bit, which helps to keep sibilance low.

Yeah, say crap to this headphone is a sacrilege.... They are excelent headphones, period.
In other hand, there is a solution now (i never use it but..) to the 'some' peaky highs (that only it showed with some peaky and bad recordings). You can use a thin (a millimeter in thickness) cloth under the black foam. It will bring more mids (put them more forward) and tame a little the treble and add a little of tightness in the bass. It works with my Denons, which sound similar (specially with the DT990 velours, but with more volume) to my DT990s....

Quote:

tongue.gif
). i just feel they're sibilant in some modern recordings. they're definitely bright headphones, and they have excellent but non-intrusive bass. i think the bass is spot on, very non-fatiguing, detailed and just plain enjoyable. the highs are great, but just too much in quantity, i eq them down a bit to keep them from bothering me (i have sensitive ears to sibilance). because of the towering highs, the great midrange on these cans gets recessed into the background. try it out, you'll know what i mean. it also depends a lot on your recordings, i find sibilance mostly in badly recorded modern pop/rap/rock songs (most of them).

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

tongue.gif

OK, thanks. I checked out their frequency graph and you are correct that they have loud highs compared to other headphones. I like lots of detail so should suit me fine. I don't use EQ usually but will see if I need it or not. Maybe a tube amp would be a good way to go to warm them up.

I don't know what version they are but will find out when I get them. I am assuming the latest version. Can't be Pro because that site sells that model too and they say those are out of stock. Why do they sell the Pro version for less than standard 990 anyway?

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 31
I went to MSN Livesearch and found these DT990's. Are they the same as yours? It's hard to understand why the 990's have such a wide range of prices and sometimes they are cheaper than the 880's and sometimes more expensive.

I hear more reviews about the 880's than I do about the 990's I first assume that the higher number usually means the next best product but I don't know about these.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
877-717-9885
212-444-6615

Beyerdynamic BEDT990SE DT 990 Open-Back Headphones - 2005 Edition
1 $199.95 $199.95

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 31
eek.gif
, what a bargain!!. I bought mine in 2007 in ebay for $225 + shipping + importer charges; and i though that that price was a bargain in that time (well, was the best price when in this other site was cheaper (but were out of stock))...
This is the link
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to MSN Livesearch and found these DT990's. Are they the same as yours? It's hard to understand why the 990's have such a wide range of prices and sometimes they are cheaper than the 880's and sometimes more expensive.

I hear more reviews about the 880's than I do about the 990's I first assume that the higher number usually means the next best product but I don't know about these.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
877-717-9885
212-444-6615

Beyerdynamic BEDT990SE DT 990 Open-Back Headphones - 2005 Edition
1 $199.95 $199.95

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 31
In Stock with two day shipping so they're gonna be here soon. But as you pointed out the prices go all over the place. It reminds me of the Denon AH D7000's. If you want to pay the full 999.00 for them, you can get then pretty easily but if you find them on line for the discount price between 530.00 and 650.00 all the sites are Out of Stock.

Even Amazon has them for many different prices. Well, I guess I got a good deal so I'm fine with that.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 31
If I recall correctly, both the 880's and the 990's are open backed, so why the price difference? And yes, it does seem like a bit of a marketing conundrum to have a higher model number undercut another in price.

Are they really that different sounding?

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 31
From what I've read here in the forums is that the 880's are a little less bassy than the 990's and some feel that the 990's are sibilent. I'll have to look that one up. Also the 880's open back grills are considered a little more stylish as opposed to the Heater Duct grill of the 990's

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 31
Oh, what 'cruel' that comment...lies...; but they are beautiful too (similar to the Venetian blinds of my room's closet and where are the headphones now (sleeping and dreaming with the upgraded drivers that they will have...), hehehe).
Well for me, that is the real attractive of his beauty, and the silver color...
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... Also the 880's open back grills are considered a little more stylish as opposed to the Heater Duct grill of the 990's

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 31
Well, The DT990's I got today are burning in as we speak. The highs are very forward but that's what EQ's are made for. Even with no burn-in I can say that hey are the best so far. The bass is excellent even pre burn-in so I can Imagine how hoppin' they'll be after 100 hrs or so.

They're much smaller than the AT AH-A900's and even slightly smaller than the Milian SVT's and the foan earpads are cool and comfortable.

The external sound attenuation is not as good athe AT's and nowhere near the SVT's but If I want Total Isolation I'll pop my Hearyourself C-3 Custom IEM's in and listen to the world fade away.

I'll be back with more in a few days

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 31
What you are expecting?, they are a true high end headphone, and for a not very high and 'overpriced' price as some (if you normally get them in a smart way) 'high ends' headphones here (some of them really can be a little bit better but not at his inflated price ranges...). The bass and treble are the specialities of this headphone, and the mids doesn't get left behind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back