Just opened my Senn HD598....Do I really need to break them in???
Jul 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redbird

New Head-Fier
I just got my Senn HD 598 phones and out of the box, I must admit the sound is nothing fantastic! How long do I need to play them before I  am blown away by their sound? Also, would I really benefit from buying an amp, such as a Schiit amp? These are my first hi-end phones and I want the best possible sound!

Thanks,
Matt

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 9
The headphones will not sound much different broken in than they do now. You may not like the sound signature. What kinda music are you listening to? What source are you playing through and what is the bitrate?

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 9
My pair needed zero burn-in to sound great. I had an amp though. Seriously, they are at least worth a $25 E5 if you can get one. Even a receiver will do.
With the HD-598 I've not noticed a huge difference in sound between various desktop amps. My old HD-650 and HD-600 benefited more from better amps.
The Asgard is a good match for them though. So is the $99 Airhead, but a full desktop amp is always best. E9 is a good place to start.

Of course, make sure you use lossless or high quality files if not using CDs. 320kbps should be fine though.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I had the same question when I opened my Denon D5000s for the first time.  I figured it was too much speculation so I burned them in anyway.  Solved all of my "What ifs" lol

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 9
I have them plugged into a Squeezebox Touch and I am listening to flac files. I chose the HD598 over the HD650 (I heard that they are a little laid back) and the AKG 702, and Beyerdynamic DT770? I am now wondering if I should have picked another pair? I listen to mostly pop, trance, and easy listening some rock. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I have them plugged into a Squeezebox Touch and I am listening to flac files. I chose the HD598 over the HD650 (I heard that they are a little laid back) and the AKG 702, and Beyerdynamic DT770? I am now wondering if I should have picked another pair? I listen to mostly pop, trance, and easy listening some rock. 

With the others you'd definitely need a powerful desktop amp first. The E9 can drive the HD-650 decently, but it won't be at it's best.Same with the K702.
Some won't like the HD-598, but I'd seriously consider trying them with an amp first before getting rid of them. If you don't get forward sounding mids and good bass, they're probably under-amped.
I actually use them sometimes with an Ipod Touch and no amp and I still like the sound..Could be they're just not your thing.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 9
I just hit two weeks with them and I can honestly say I think they sound much better than when I first opened them... dunno if it gave me some time to get used to it or if they broke in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back