Just noticed something about my SR325 (silver)
May 23, 2005 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
I noticed that when I listen at low volumes they sound quite muddy, but if I turn up the volume to about 8-9 o'clock on the ra-1 clone and the dac-1, theyre suddenly very clear and detailled. Could someone else who owns these try it out and confirm? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 15
I get the same occurence with my ms-1. The bass really comes out at a slightly higher volume. But then again, I usually listen at lower than average levels.

May 23, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Grado's need current. I've noticed that the volume isn't so much as higher from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock on my HD25 as it is much clearer and more defined. They definately do some strange things to amps.

May 23, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Yep, they do need current. Well all this to say that DAC-1+RA-1+SR325 silver is the best setup ive yet to hear! The RS-1s just don't sound as clear and detailled as the 325s for some reason, and bass is much tighter, and controlled although not as deep and doesn't have as much impact. The mids are slightly, only very slightly better with the RS-1s in terms of dynamics, else theyre pretty much the same. The highs however, reveal every detail without the lush sound of the (my guess is) woody factor of the RS-1s. Guitars just never sounded so good.

I can't wait to receive my SR325i and hear the new Grado sound
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Morphie, what pads were you using on the RS-1 and 325's. I'm intrigued, but not surprised, that you prefer the 325's. I also came to very similar conclusions when I a/b tested some RS-2's and my 225's on Saturday.

May 23, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 15
This is incredibly true for my speaker system. I am pretty paranoid about getting tinnitus, so I usually listen to music pretty quietly. But once every couple of days I will turn it up a lot louder and the bass and details come out so much more.

May 23, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 15
MS-2 and 225 and very different from RS-1 and 325. I prefer the 325s with most pads by the way. Some quick thoughts:

Using bowls:

RS-1s: Muddy everything with ok bass.
SR325: No bass, harsh highs.

I still prefer the 325s here because even though the highs are harsh the level of detail is something else, as the RS-1s are real muddy with bowls imo.

Using reversed bowls:

RS-1: Best pads for the RS-1s. Bass is less harsh than with flats, and everything is in general less muddy than with bowls. The mids especially shine.
SR325: Lack in the bass department. Highs are clear and detailled, mids are fast and dynamic.

These are the only pads where I prefer the RS-1s. The SR325's bass loses its impact with reversed bowls.

Using flats:

RS-1s: HUGE bass. Too huge for me. Its slobbers all over the place but is very deep and has alot of impact. Can be fun. The mids are also pretty great with the flats. Highs however, are muddy.
SR325: Perfect bass. Not as deep or as impacty as the RS-1s, but more controlled and tighter, faster as well. Mids come very close to the RS-1s, lacking only slightly in dynamics, but I really have to concentrate to hear the difference. Highs are awesome here. Straightforward, vibrant, detailled, clear and fast. I've never heard so much details in the music.

Here the SR325s win hands down. Theyre "almost" perfect for my tastes. I think the sr325i will surprise me, and I will probably upgrade to PS-1s in a few years
wink.gif

EDIT: I'll add to this that I have C Pads but only for the comfort factor. IMHO the pads take away the straightforwardness I love with the Grados when listening to music. I use them for movies and the likes. Alot of people will prefer the C Pads sound rather than the original Grado sound though. They do help the bass alot depending on your taste, make them comfortable to wear, and by taking away the "in your face" feeling, makes them more comfortable for long listening sessions. Theyre a must for every Grado owner
wink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 15
If you think the RS-1's have overwhelming bass, I can guarantee you that the PS-1's will be a huge dissapointment. They are like having headmounted subwoofers. HP-2's aren't as punchy as my 325's, but they are more detailed, and can be easier to listen to.

EDIT:
Am I the only person in the world who thinks that grado's with flat pads are comfortable?

May 23, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I dont mind a subwoofer sound if its not overwhelming. I want tight, controlled, fast bass.

Just be careful with the PS-1's. They're not for everybody.

May 23, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 15
Dammit, it looks like I am the only one who uses flats+ps-1 with the Melos amp as I cannot get enough of the bass.

Morphie>I wonder how the 325i's will work for you. You are the first headfier who has said tha the rs-1's are muddy with bowls and not as muddy with reverse bowls. Do you mean the rs-1's are not as detailed as I think you have seem to take brightness as detail???

It's great that you like 325's silver as most headfiers seem to find them bright. I notice you have the DAC1. It seems to me you like forward sounding cans.

The PS-1 has more bass and has controlled bass and more impact than the 325's. But they are not as forward as the 325's

May 23, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 15
no i dont take brightness as detail. i can hear details in the music with the 325s that i dont hear, or not as well, with the RS-1s. Also, the RS-1s highs are imho muddy, call it recessed if you prefer, but the detail loss is there.

If you check the RS-1 appreciation thread youll see for yourself that many people favor reversed bowls with the RS-1... not only me seems to think reversed bowl gives more clarity to the highs. The RS-1's level of detail is not too far from the 325s but the lusher woody sound isnt exactly as detailled imho. The cans also lose in forwardness.

May 23, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 15
I think that there are huge differences between different PS-1's, I've heard a PS-1 that sounded as good as anything else I've listened to, and another that was so overblown in the low end that it was hard to listen to. It seems like your pair is more like the first example.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Dammit, it looks like I am the only one who uses flats+ps-1 with the Melos amp as I cannot get enough of the bass.

Morphie>I wonder how the 325i's will work for you. You are the first headfier who has said tha the rs-1's are muddy with bowls and not as muddy with reverse bowls. Do you mean the rs-1's are not as detailed as I think you have seem to take brightness as detail???

It's great that you like 325's silver as most headfiers seem to find them bright. I notice you have the DAC1. It seems to me you like forward sounding cans.

The PS-1 has more bass and has controlled bass and more impact than the 325's. But they are not as forward as the 325's

May 23, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I think that there are huge differences between different PS-1's, I've heard a PS-1 that sounded as good as anything else I've listened to, and another that was so overblown in the low end that it was hard to listen to. It seems like your pair is more like the first example.

burned-in vs. not burned-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back