Just lost an ebay auction for a pair of K340
Jun 28, 2002 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

katsudon1

100+ Head-Fier
Since those K340s are so well recommended by some head-fiers e.g. joelongwood & others. I just decided that I want to get a pair and see if I like them as much. The combination of electrostatic mids and highs together with dynamic bass seem to be very promising. Sounds like the best of both worlds. So, I located a pair at ebay and I am willing to spend as much as USD150. But I was still outbid by another ebay member. Um¡K¡KI am puzzling how much do these old top of the line AKG worth nowadays?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 64
WOW......>$150 seems pretty high. But, to my ears, they sound better than any $150 'phones I've heard. I've seen them go on ebay for as little as $50. I paid $80 and $100 for my two pair (gave one to my son). I got them from the classifieds on audioreview. Keep looking........they're well worth it (IMHO). Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 64
I have seen in other headphone forums K340 owners reported that these cans are "fun" HPs. They have descibe the music reproduction as "oldish" even if you feed them with very modern days recorded music. Do you feel that too?

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 64
Hi Joelongwood:

Any idea how do the K340's compare with the K501's?

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Hi Joelongwood:

Any idea how do the K340's compare with the K501's?

Hi elrod-tom,
To my ears, there is no comparison. The K340s are fuller, richer sounding 'phones with an extremely transparent midrange, similar to what I hear from Stax electrostatics. The K501s win out in treble extension, though. But everything else goes to the K340s. As usuual, this is just my opinion. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 64
It does indeed....thanks.

Although someone just bid $170 for a "buy it now" on eBay for what is supposed to be a boxed pair. OUCH!!

mad.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 64
Well, I finally tracked down a pair of these on Audiogon. I'm very, very pleased. Nice, neutral, lifelike, and with decent bass extension and presence.

EXCELLENT!!

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Five cans on a five can scale!

biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 64
I just picked up a pair on Audiogon last week too ...
And I too lived with the frustration of being outbid on eBay for months.

I like them. They have some unique things going for them - but they are not perfect.

I can see them not being to everyone's taste. Highs are not very extended. Bass does not go into the deep, deep region. Nor the last word in transparency either. Kind of heavy.

Still...... quite likable... for the reasons joelongwood states above.

If anyone is unhappy with their K340s, PM me,
I'll take them off your hands.
Would not mind owning a second pair. However, I would not spend more than $120.

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by katsudon1
Good on you, elrod-tom.
How much did you pay and what's the condition like?

I paid $100 (including shipping) for what appears to be a VERY lightly used pair. Even had the original box.

I've seen them go cheaper than that on eBay, and was trying to hold out for something less pricey. However, in the end I figured that (as good as they appeared to be in the pictures I received) $100 out the door was not too unreasonable.

What can I say...I'm pretty happy!!

biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
If anyone is unhappy with their K340s, PM me,
I'll take them off your hands.
Would not mind owning a second pair. However, I would not spend more than $120.

DITTO!!!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Hi elrod-tom,
To my ears, there is no comparison. The K340s are fuller, richer sounding 'phones with an extremely transparent midrange, similar to what I hear from Stax electrostatics. The K501s win out in treble extension, though. But everything else goes to the K340s. As usuual, this is just my opinion. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Joe...good call on this one!!

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Five cans on a five can scale!!

biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 64
There is a pair on sale on eBay right now ...being sold in the UK ... and the high bid is now up to $US217 with one day left.

Now that is nuts! No way Jose!

Whoever shells out that kind of dough for these is going to feel ripped-off once they get them. What would make anyone think that they are worth that much? Ouch.

Oct 26, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 64
$217???!!!

That is nuts!!

mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back