Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #8,043 of 11,345
I created an illustrated guide to adding a leather suspension headband to the T50RP. The mod is reversible and requires an old leather belt, an iron-on knee patch and the ability to iron.
https://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/LeatherSuspensionHeadbandModForFostexT50RP

Here's what it looks like. It's super comfortable to boot.

May 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #8,045 of 11,345
Quote:
I created an illustrated guide to adding a leather suspension headband to the T50RP. The mod is reversible and requires an old leather belt, an iron-on knee patch and the ability to iron.
https://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/LeatherSuspensionHeadbandModForFostexT50RP

Here's what it looks like. It's super comfortable to boot.

Awesome and neat job!!

However...that is NOT a suspension band.

May 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #8,046 of 11,345
I just got a pair of HM5 pads in the mail from Brainwavz.  Unfortunately, they are significantly different pads from the pair of HM5/003 pads I got used in the forums.  They arne't nearly as firm or thick, so the ear is closer to the driver.  Brainwavz mails them from Singapore in an envelope, so spending a week and a half squished flat is the likely culprit.  i've emailed them about it, but haven't gotten a reply yet. 

Just something to be aware of.  Hopefully they'll take my email into consideration and start shipping them in boxes. 

May 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #8,047 of 11,345
Quote:
I just got a pair of HM5 pads in the mail from Brainwavz.  Unfortunately, they are significantly different pads from the pair of HM5/003 pads I got used in the forums.  They arne't nearly as firm or thick, so the ear is closer to the driver.  Brainwavz mails them from Singapore in an envelope, so spending a week and a half squished flat is the likely culprit.  i've emailed them about it, but haven't gotten a reply yet. 

Just something to be aware of.  Hopefully they'll take my email into consideration and start shipping them in boxes. 

I had the same issue, but in my case it's still an improvement over the last pair which were both different heights

May 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #8,048 of 11,345
Quote:

Hmm. You're right. I just checked mine as well. The replacement ones are softer and squishier. They aren't quite as thick either, though very close. I noticed that the pads that came with the HM5 use a different material than the rest of the pads on the inner "donut", where as the replacement pads have the same material all over. 

Mine were also flattened from shipping, but I've had mine for over a week now. They still don't match the original pads, so I don't think the cramped shipping is the primary issue. 

Maybe they're using these as the regular pads on the HM5 now? They might sound better with the HM5. I always thought the stock pads were bit too thick and hard.

Either way, I don't think this will be much of an issue. They're probably still an improvement over the 840 pads, and they're close enough to the non-replacement pads that they should only require minor tweaking to sound the same.

I've noticed with my Paradox, the pads become much softer and squishier once they've been worn for a while (I'm guessing from body heat and clamping force). This would help seal better and bring the drivers closer to the ears. For me, this actually sounds better. They're a bit too stiff and thick before they "warm up", and they sound noticeably better after being on my head for 15-30 minutes. I would not be surprised if these replacement pads sound more like the old pads after they've "warmed up" right off the bat. They might actually be an improvement. Not sure...I still have yet to experiment with them (kind of hard to motivate myself to do mods on my other T50RP when I have the Paradox...).

May 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #8,049 of 11,345
Has anybody else felt like one of the driver sounds louder than the other? I just finished adding clay around the driver and around the edge of the cups, same amount on both sides and I feel the left side isn't as loud as the right side. Might be placebo, I'll give them a listen again tomorrow and see if it's just my ears.

May 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #8,050 of 11,345
Quote:

Hmm. You're right. I just checked mine as well. The replacement ones are softer and squishier. They aren't quite as thick either, though very close. I noticed that the pads that came with the HM5 use a different material than the rest of the pads on the inner "donut", where as the replacement pads have the same material all over. 

Mine were also flattened from shipping, but I've had mine for over a week now. They still don't match the original pads, so I don't think the cramped shipping is the primary issue. 

Well squishing them long enough would permanently flatten them out.  But you're right, they are different pads, the inside has a different material on the old style.  It will depend on your daming scheme whether they are too bassy or not, but the thicker ones will have bigger soundstage regardless...  :frowning2:

May 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #8,052 of 11,345
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc-p-668.html

May 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8,053 of 11,345

Quote:
Has anybody else felt like one of the driver sounds louder than the other? I just finished adding clay around the driver and around the edge of the cups, same amount on both sides and I feel the left side isn't as loud as the right side. Might be placebo, I'll give them a listen again tomorrow and see if it's just my ears.

Turns out one of the bass vents had 1mm-2mm more on one side. Fixed it before my OCD made me tear them appart lol.

May 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #8,055 of 11,345
Quote:
BMF's recent post is just chock-a-block loaded with good information. One thing that might get overlooked in this flood of audio goodness is information on how to setup a basic frequency-response testing kit.

For about $30 Canadian, including shipping, you can get the electronics components you need for the mics and phantom power box. The software, Room Equalization Wizard, is free and written in Java, so it works on a number of OS platforms. You'll need a soldering iron. If you've never soldered before, this isn't a bad first project.

This setup won't match the one that pros like Tyll uses, but it has saved me hours of tail-chasing and wheel-reinventing when it comes to T50 mods. 

Your post has really inspired me. I concluded it was a sign from above :)
About two years ago I wanted to make a mic to test my first headphones and their mods. I bought a couple electret capsules and went searching for a connection scheme. I searched for a couple hours at least before I found at least one scheme. Tried it and it didn't work. I wasn't able to find any data on the capsules at all, didn't help too. I have also killed one of the capsules by overheating it while soldering.

Yesterday I read your post, looked at WM 61A capsule photo.. Got carried by it, googled connection scheme for electret capsule, found one in less than five minutes, and found second one, which described how to properly connect them to a sound card - previous one was generic. I got super fascinated and tried to find datasheet for the cheap capsule that is availible locally - the one from above passage - and found it immediately with description of it's terminals. That's why I decided it was a sign. :)

So I decided to buy the capsule, jack and wire, and assemble it in the evening. Assembled it, plugged into my computer.. And it worked immediately. Yeah!! 
The capsules are most probably really non-flat, so I'm ordering WM 61A capsules.
Meanwhile they're shipping, I can pre--measure the phones, get needed software, measurement methods and get prepared.

Big thanks for that spark of inspiration!

Here's how that ghetto mic look from behind. Sorry for image quality, only have mobile phone at the time. It's really ultra simple. WM 61A also can be hooked straight to a PC's sound card's mic input (not line input, it doesn't have the phantom power supply).

Here are also photos of my suspension headband. Needs some improvement though, as pads are aligned in a wrong way. Still, quite comfortable now, and headphones don't fall off anymore when tilting the head. Also shown it 'in use' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back