Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #5,161 of 11,345
Yah, I played with stuffed 840 pads and other than a few small strips of paxmate under the back of the pad, left mine alone.  Too much pad stuffing is bad for the bass on these.  Your config is almost the same except for the tape on the center of the driver.  The reflect dot gives about a 1-3 dB rise between 3K and 15K, which to me sounds flatter, but per your taste, you did exactly the right mod...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #5,162 of 11,345
Well, pretty much.  But I am unsure the effects of having paxmate vs. silverstone, or rubbery reflex dot vs. felt reflex dot is.

Also, forgot to mention, I ripped out that cloth/foam cover from the 840 pads.

Quote:
So basically the pads is what make the difference in your mods?

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5,163 of 11,345
I received this stuff today. It works well and easily for stripped headband hanger threads; just need one piece of this material inserted in the plastic receivers. It's more difficult for the 4 cup receiver threads. You have to cut very, very thin slivers of this metallic material, but it does work.

I think when I'm really absolutely, positively "done" with tweaking, I will use epoxy "spot welds" to hold the baffles securely to the cups.

Quote:
I ordered some of this to repair stripped threads:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodmate-2498-Grip-Screw-Repair/dp/B001B38ALG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322327728&sr=8-1

I'll post the results sometime next week.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #5,164 of 11,345
mrspeakers, you really did some nice work with the RP2. I got mine out after using the HE-500 and HE-300 only for weeks and even right after using the HE500 they sound very good. I definitely have to say that the T50RP modded is my top value in audio purchases. Something that costs $200 including mod materials and pads should not sound this good. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5,165 of 11,345

Quote:
I think when I'm really absolutely, positively "done" with tweaking...

Pfft, like that's ever going to happen
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #5,167 of 11,345
I'm curious - what do you guys think of the theoretical limitations of the stock baffles (which can be loaded with mass) vs DIY MDF or hard wood ones? I'm in the process of trying some different baffle types with my Dad. For a loudspeaker I can imagine the baffle vibrating quite a bit, but I'm really unsure about how stiff a headphone baffle needs to be.

What wins. Plastic + putty (less stiff, heavier) or MDF/solid wood?

Keep in mind that weight is an issue, but so is the hassle of recessing the drivers.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #5,168 of 11,345
There is hope. I've joined 2 self-help groups...AA...Audiophiles Anonymous, and MA...Modders Anonymous.  It's been 2 days since my last mod.  
blink.gif

Quote:

Pfft, like that's ever going to happen
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #5,171 of 11,345
Although secretly, the AA and MA were formed by other modders solely to horde all the scarce resources for themselves...

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #5,172 of 11,345
Hey guys, one final question really before i decide to buy these and go to town. Whats the main differences in sound between the different mod versions?  Like rastapants vs BMF 6.3 or smeggys setup? Which sounds best or is suited for certain purposes?

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #5,173 of 11,345
lol, I don't think there will ever be any consensus here but almost all approaches attempt to make the sound as neutral, or "flat", as possible. Apart from Smeggy's thunderpants which is a driver transplant into custom built wooden cups, the mods are more similar than different and each allows personal variation to tune the treble and bass to your own preferences. The true Rastants v2 requires more expensive pads (the $150+ Stax O2 leather pads vs. $20 Shure 840 pleather pads) and the (likely) irreversable replacement of stock backing on the driver. There is a BMF variation that uses the $20 840 pads and is completely reversable so you might want to at least give that a try before going for the rastapants though many have been very happy with their rastapants. Both of these mods are still under development and testing so stay tuned!!

Quote:
Hey guys, one final question really before i decide to buy these and go to town. Whats the main differences in sound between the different mod versions?  Like rastapants vs BMF 6.3 or smeggys setup? Which sounds best or is suited for certain purposes?

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #5,175 of 11,345

Quote:
mrspeakers, you really did some nice work with the RP2. I got mine out after using the HE-500 and HE-300 only for weeks and even right after using the HE500 they sound very good. I definitely have to say that the T50RP modded is my top value in audio purchases. Something that costs $200 including mod materials and pads should not sound this good. 

Thanks!  

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back