Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #8,538 of 11,346
Quote:
There's quite a bit of room for shenanigans in measurements/compensation schemes. It would be helpful if these measurements were displayed with stock-headphone response for comparison.

Or, super-imposed on a graph against the LCD-2s and the HE-400s.  
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8,539 of 11,346
Quote:
There's quite a bit of room for shenanigans in measurements/compensation schemes. It would be helpful if these measurements were displayed with stock-headphone response for comparison.

I doubt anyone would intentionally pull off shenanigans, but your point is a good one.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #8,540 of 11,346
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review

Just thought I'd link to this here, since it is relevant. On my Fostex I do not notice any static with "fast" sounds.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #8,541 of 11,346
Quote:

I've heard the very same thing. I think it's just something inherent with the Fostex driver because I've noticed it on three sets of headphones: the RP2 modded T50's I have, the infamous (to me) Koda^2, and also on the Paradox. To me it seems to be a static-like sound, as you describe it, on what I'd classify as very 'high-energy', driving, guitar material. I could post a link to a Mogwai song which has tripped up each of those phones I mentioned. I have a couple pairs of Russian orthos which don't exhibit this trait, so I do think it's something characteristic of the Fostex driver.

Here's the track (right at 2:42 where the guitars pick up even more intensely is where I really hear the static-like sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRsLPQannM

After hearing it could be the jack, I went ahead and hooked the phones directly to my X-Fi.  I will tell you the sound improved tremendously, but the static was still there. It is not a loud static.  Not continuous.  But the static is definitely audible.  Almost like the driver cannot keep up with the music and because very distorted.  I am unsure what is going on.

The above link plays an example is dead on the money (thanks for the test song cn11).  The static can be heard (at least on my phones) without question.  I spent 6-7 hours listening to music without break.  Various types of music/songs.  I noticed that when playing music that is "congested", "high-energy", or (extremely complex fast driving music or music using a lot of distortion)  the music is clear but static can be heard. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue?  Maybe I got a defective driver in the headphones?  I will try to perform a test tonight, one ear at a time.  I'll see how that goes.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #8,542 of 11,346
Quote:

After hearing it could be the jack, I went ahead and hooked the phones directly to my X-Fi.  I will tell you the sound improved tremendously, but the static was still there. It is not a loud static.  Not continuous.  But the static is definitely audible.  Almost like the driver cannot keep up with the music and because very distorted.  I am unsure what is going on.

The above link plays an example is dead on the money (thanks for the test song cn11).  The static can be heard (at least on my phones) without question.  I spent 6-7 hours listening to music without break.  Various types of music/songs.  I noticed that when playing music that is "congested", "high-energy", or (extremely complex fast driving music or music using a lot of distortion)  the music is clear but static can be heard. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue?  Maybe I got a defective driver in the headphones?  I will try to perform a test tonight, one ear at a time.  I'll see how that goes.

Congratulations!

You can hear clipping!

It's part of the crappy mastering of the song and any decent headphone..even apple ibuds and beats should reveal that severe clipping. The better the headphones, the more it will show up actually.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #8,543 of 11,346
Yah, I totally agree.  

At first I thought it was a problem with my electronics, then the phones.  Then I got Pure Music which is a player that goes along with iTunes, and it has a "digital clipping" indicator.  You would be appalled at how many recordings are DIGITALLY clipped (and many have analog clipping, which sound a bit less nasty but is still not good).  Worse, the clipping is on both big and low budget albums.

You'd think no engineer would allow a clipped master out of the studio, but they're really common.  

Sigh.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #8,544 of 11,346
Quote:
Yah, I totally agree.  

At first I thought it was a problem with my electronics, then the phones.  Then I got Pure Music which is a player that goes along with iTunes, and it has a "digital clipping" indicator.  You would be appalled at how many recordings are DIGITALLY clipped (and many have analog clipping, which sound a bit less nasty but is still not good).  Worse, the clipping is on both big and low budget albums.

You'd think no engineer would allow a clipped master out of the studio, but they're really common.  

Sigh.

You should be able to hear that clipping without any indicator. Also, analog clipping sounds WORSE than digital clipping even though technically, they are the same thing. You have to push an analog signal much harder to clip than you do a digital signal. Tape provides a natural type of compression when you clip an analog signal so it isn't readily heard. If you hear analog clipping...it's much nastier than digital.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8,546 of 11,346
Yeah, its easy to hear, the visual indicator just made it more "in my face" about how common it was.  If I'm working and not really listening I might not notice, but if there are little blinking red lights its more in my face even when I'm not paying attention to the sound

Respectfully, whether an analog or digital clip is "worse" probably is a matter of taste/opinion, and perhaps a question of when/wherein the chain it occurs, but I bet we can agree either way it's good unless it's on purpose to create an effect, like a nice distorted guitar...
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #8,547 of 11,346
I think I know what LFF is trying to say. That when analog goes past the 0db level, it still compresses up to anywhere from 4-12db over, which it suddenly goes eeeeeeccccck. In other words, analog clipping isn't initially as bad, until you actually hear the most serious effects of it clipping.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #8,549 of 11,346
Quote:

I've heard the very same thing. I think it's just something inherent with the Fostex driver because I've noticed it on three sets of headphones: the RP2 modded T50's I have, the infamous (to me) Koda^2, and also on the Paradox. To me it seems to be a static-like sound, as you describe it, on what I'd classify as very 'high-energy', driving, guitar material. I could post a link to a Mogwai song which has tripped up each of those phones I mentioned. I have a couple pairs of Russian orthos which don't exhibit this trait, so I do think it's something characteristic of the Fostex driver.

Here's the track (right at 2:42 where the guitars pick up even more intensely is where I really hear the static-like sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRsLPQannM

****, I was hoping it's just that I need a better cable for mine. I get quite a bit of static, esp. from the right side... and it's not clipping AFAIK. I'm playing a new Isomike SACD (this one) that seems lovingly mastered, through a DAC and amp (the Woo 3+) that aren't all that high end but decent, and as I switch between my DT880s and the T50RP, it's only the latter that produces the noise.

I'll keep reading this thread in search for a cable solution to improve on the Fostex stock, but in the meantime if people could chime in about the noise discussed by @nanjirou and @cn11 and me...

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #8,550 of 11,346
Quote:

****, I was hoping it's just that I need a better cable for mine. I get quite a bit of static, esp. from the right side... and it's not clipping AFAIK. I'm playing a new Isomike SACD (this one) that seems lovingly mastered, through a DAC and amp (the Woo 3+) that aren't all that high end but decent, and as I switch between my DT880s and the T50RP, it's only the latter that produces the noise.

I'll keep reading this thread in search for a cable solution to improve on the Fostex stock, but in the meantime if people could chime in about the noise discussed by @nanjirou and @cn11 and me...

And you are SURE this can't be fixed using some deoxit to clean your connector?  Channel static from bad connections can be on either or both channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back