Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #136 of 11,345
BTW, I see Fostex seem to be using a similar technology on loudspeakers: http://www.google.com/search?q=fostex+ribbon+speakers

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/238632/fs-pair-of-fostex-ft7rp-ribbon-tweeters

tempting!

Fostexgz2001.jpg

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #137 of 11,345
the diff between the t20/40/50rp is not very clear: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/downloads/pdfs/RP_Headphones_Brochure.pdf

they all share the same earpads and shell, only the drivers are different...but they more or less all cost the same price, and the first released was the t50: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml#1

the t40 is fully closed while the 2 others are half-closed...and the t50 has higher max input and sensitivity(maybe due to stronger magnets?).

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #139 of 11,345
and what's the diff between the 40 and 50? I guess the SS must suffer quite a bit in the 40 considering it's fully closed, and also the magnets seem weaker.

and I think it might be due to the ortho technology, but listening at very low volume really doesn't work for me..lack of dynamics, blurry SS, it's clear that the drivers are underfed if I don't push the volume a bit.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #140 of 11,345

Quote:
and what's the diff between the 40 and 50? I guess the SS must suffer quite a bit in the 40 considering it's fully closed, and also the magnets seem weaker.

and I think it might be due to the ortho technology, but listening at very low volume really doesn't work for me..lack of dynamics, blurry SS, it's clear that the drivers are underfed if I don't push the volume a bit.

Can't remember if it was the ortho thread or TP thread but there was a discussion about that and basically the T50 was the more advanced driver FWIR.  So much so it didn't make sense to go for the 40 considering the minimal price difference.  Kevin might be a good one to ask.  Yes these things need lots of power.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #142 of 11,345

Quote:
humm stock t50rps sound terrible i find it hard think anyone would like them :p

Actually, not that bad.  I once had an Aha! eargasm w/ them for a few hours stock.  Don't know what happened and never repeated it so don't ask.  It was full moon, the planets aligned, no idea.  Honestly for $70 I know there is plenty worse out there.

Edit - Actually, yeah, these are the worst phones ever made.  Everyone should avoid like the plague, they cause sterility, it's a fact.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #147 of 11,345

Yes these things need lots of power.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel that the low level details at very low volume seem to be improving over time...I'm not sure what could possibly be burning in w/ an ortho driver but I let them play DNB 24/7 at high volume...a friend of mine bought a used t50rp and says that listening at low volume works great for him. These used to sound blurry at low volume, and now they shape up nicely...god I hate brand new headphones.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #148 of 11,345
Yeah, there shouldn't be any problem with orthos at low volume. If they're properly damped, they should sound very nice indeed. Low level linearity is an excellent test of headphones, speakers, even amps, if you know what to listen for.

The difference in sensitivity shows up in the previous generation of T40 and T20 (specifically, the T40v1 and the T20v2). Different drivers, different situation. I say if you find a used T40RP Mk II in good shape at a low-low price, go for it. I have both T50RPn and T40RP Mk II and they sound alike to my ears (allowing for slightly different earpad design). Not identical, just alike. Whereas the T20RP Mk II sounds.. well... not as good. But when buying new, the difference in price is small enough to simply go for the T50RP and be done with it.

I'm still waiting for a TP-T40. Well, it could happen.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #149 of 11,345
oh, but I like the semi-closed SS of the T50RP..once you remove the felt in the cups sides, it's really something! 
basshead.gif
the T40RP is fully closed apparently? Its neodymium magnets also seem weaker(3W max input instead of 4W on the T50RP).

and gooooooodaammmn, the mids are to die for on this phone.

I wouldn't mind a leather headband like on the TP, anyone knows how to make one?

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #150 of 11,345
Max input level specs have absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the magnets and everything to do with quality control. But like I said, when the difference in money is small, go for the T50RPn.

When you say "felt in the cups sides", do you mean the little bit of nonwoven fabric stretched over the vent in the T50RPn? and yes, the T40RP Mk II is fully closed. Airtight, doubtful, but closed, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back