Just installed e-mu 1212m, need help.
May 31, 2004 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
I got it, thanks.

2nd edit: my pany xr-50 doesn't seems take ADAT, and with S/PDIF it can only do 96 bit, still worth it to do the resample to 96K? I am having a hard time to hear any difference. Also for 96K the 96K default multitrack and the 96K ASIO direct monitoring works for me, which one is better? Thanks.

May 31, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 10
If I'm understanding what you are asking correctly, you're sending a S/PDIF signal to your Panasonic receiver. Most likely, it will not take an ADAT signal. I don't think any consumer products do. In terms of upsampling and sending a S/PDIF signal to the receiver, I do recommend upsampling but I'm not sure if I can recommend using S/PDIF. I'm not sure how good the DAC is in the Panasonic but it is unlikely to be better than the DAC in the E-MU. If my thoughts are correct, it would be better to do the digital to analog conversion on the card and send the signal to your receiver with a good pair of interconnects. If you do this, you can upsample upto 192khz with ASIO and Foobar2000.

The differences between 44.1khz and 96khz or 192khz should be very easy to hear. Listen carefully, it's there.

May 31, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 10
What is the point of upsampling when the original recording only has so much data? It is basically guessing at what the signal waveform looked like. I rather keep conversions to the minimum of one. digital to analog.

May 31, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 10
there is almost always some form of oversampling before the actuall D/A conversion, what you can do is to use really high quality resampling prior to the oversampling digital filters in today's DACs, they do their jobs better then..

May 31, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 10
The main point of upsampling on the PC is

1) to avoid bad hardware resampling i.e. on Audigy series cards
2) to shift the digital filtering away from the audible band.

Since you are using a digital amp and the emu, all of this doesn't apply.

You are limited by your worst offender. Since you don't have to deal with these issues, the last offender inside the computer is whether to re/up sample or not. I say no because the algorithm to do so isn't transparent. I can hear a degradation of quality. Another limitation is your power conditioning and digital cable. Maybe you can't hear the difference of resampling because of those but there is a difference. Use a glass toslink cable from the emu to the amp.

Disregard what jasper994 has to say because you are running a digital amp which is best to stay in digital form throughout. If you run analog to it, you'll deal with a ADC conversion and have to worry about interconnect quality which ultimately is far worst.

XR50 is an evolution of XR25 (which I have). They only do up to 96khz. You'll have to get XR45 or 70 for 192khz but it's irrelevant in this case since you shouldn't upsample.

ADAT is a multichannel cablable pro digital optical format. It only supports up to 48khz. It won't work on consumer equipment.

You are probably using the build in sessions. It's best to make a new clean one. Add a HOST ASIO 1/2 strip and add a SEND to SPDIF PCI CARD. Be sure the cardoutput format is SPDIF.

May 31, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Disregard what jasper994 has to say because you are running a digital amp which is best to stay in digital form throughout. If you run analog to it, you'll deal with a ADC conversion and have to worry about interconnect quality which ultimately is far worst.

Okay, I'm going to ignore the fact that your comment was very rude and try to work with you on this. If you are running analog into the receiver there is no ADC involved, the receiver will simply amp the analog signal. The point I was trying to make was that the DAC in the E-MU might be better than the one that was in the receiver. Going with that though, I was telling him to use some decent interconnects to pass an analog signal.

What degradation in signal quality are you talking about with upsampling on the E-MU?

May 31, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Sorry it's not my intent to be rude. Since this is a digital amplifier, analog inputs will need to be converted back to digital so in essence your advice doesn't apply in this case. What you're saying is totally correct if it was a more traditional amplifier.

>>>>The point I was trying to make was that the DAC in the E-MU might be better than the one that was in the receiver.

There is no traditional DAC in the Panasonic digital receiver.

>>>>What degradation in signal quality are you talking about with upsampling on the E-MU?

Not a degradation of the signal, but the upsampling algorithm just isn't good enough.

May 31, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Sorry it's not my intent to be rude. Since this is a digital amplifier, analog inputs will need to be converted back to digital so in essence your advice doesn't apply in this case. What you're saying is totally correct if it was a more traditional amplifier.

>>>>The point I was trying to make was that the DAC in the E-MU might be better than the one that was in the receiver.

There is no traditional DAC in the Panasonic digital receiver.

>>>>What degradation in signal quality are you talking about with upsampling on the E-MU?

Not a degradation of the signal, but the upsampling algorithm just isn't good enough.

My bad then, sorry about that.

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks a lot for the replys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
XR50 is an evolution of XR25 (which I have). They only do up to 96khz. You'll have to get XR45 or 70 for 192khz but it's irrelevant in this case since you shouldn't upsample.

ADAT is a multichannel cablable pro digital optical format. It only supports up to 48khz. It won't work on consumer equipment.

XR-50 can do 192Khz, then again, since you say there is no point to unsampleing and it can't output 192Khz use S/PDIF, BTW e-mu's maunal says it can out put 2 channel 192 use ADAT. Also my glass toslink should be here very soon, I will test it.

Quote:

You are probably using the build in sessions. It's best to make a new clean one. Add a HOST ASIO 1/2 strip and add a SEND to SPDIF PCI CARD. Be sure the cardoutput format is SPDIF.

Sorry I don't understand this part, can you please explan how to do it? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back