just how many people realy like the hd-590's?
Mar 13, 2002 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
This is just something to satisfy my curiosity. It is not a dicussion on whether the 580,600 or what ever are better than the hd-590's. I simply what like to see how many people favor the 590's. I posted something like this before and I just wanted to see if there where more 590 lovers out there now. I my self liked them but did not favor the open design. This is not a mark against the 590's. I just have a problem getting used to any open designed headphone.But, if you are listening in a very quiet room the 590's are not bad. Anyway, all you 590 lovers please ring in. Also, please don't argue about what's better or worst . This is just a little survey. You can tell me what you like or dislike about them. Just no argueing about whether another headphone is way better or not. Thanx

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 129
I'm one of HD 590 lovers
smily_headphones1.gif

+ Incredible details, both on mids and highs.
+ @sskicking BASS!
+ Sound fantastic right from a SACD player.
+ VERY comfortable to wear, can wear them for hours!
+ Open design (close design is no good for my ears)
+ High performance/price.
+ Easily replaceable parts.
+ Look cool
smily_headphones1.gif

- Not as flat as HD580/600 (sound slightly brighter on some type of music, but NEVER to the point of fatique).
- Cheap cable.

Mar 13, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 129
I truly like the 590. They are quite different from the 580/600, so it's not all that easy to compare.

To me, people that think they suck are definitely wrong. The 590 are very detailed, bright and with a wide soundstage. Comfort is amazing.

As a plus, they sing pretty well without a dedicated amp.

Now I listen mostly to the Sony MDR-CD3000, which I prefer, but the 590 remain in my group of favourite headphones.

I really don't have much against the 590, except perhaps the fact that I don't get that "holographic, wide" feeling I get with the 3000, probably because the 3k have those hug cups and closed design.

As for being too bright? Pff... let me have that brightness. At that price, the 590 rule

Mar 14, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 129
I like my HD590 too.

People comapring it with HD580 and 600. It is not fair at all. They are DIFFERENT headphones and they have different approach to music.

I like the open soundstage and balance of the HD590. It makes my classical music listening experience into another level.

Mar 14, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 129
Jeese I was at work
tongue.gif

now that Im home, I can add that I too and a 590 freak !!

super freak i tell u !

Mar 14, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 129
I also agree that HD 590 should not be compared to HD 580/600.
I borrowed a pair over a weekend some time ago and didn't dislike them. Detailed and punchy sound, easily driven from most phone jacks and as everyone says comfy.
IMO Sennheiser designed this for a large group of phone listeners that don't want to pay several hundred (thousand) USD for a headamp. Also, these are the Senns for people who think that the HD 600 is too laidback. I'd say if there is a phone in the Sennheiser line that comes close to Grado sound this is HD 590 for sure.
My only complain with these was a very slight recession in the mids, which made some vocals a bit distant.

Mar 14, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 129
Have to chime in here as well. I like my 590s a lot. I'm new to this headphone game and actually ended up getting the 590s and a pair of ATH-W11Rs at about the same time, thinking I'd end up selling the ones I didn't like. Well, I like them both, for different reasons. Running for now off my Marantz receiver while I decide what kind of amp to buy. I have to admit that I find the W11Rs slightly more comfortable, as I like how the weight rests on the sides of my head and not the top, as it does with the 590s. Which is not to say, however, that the 590s are uncomfortable - far from it. Can't wait to try them out with a good amp!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back