Just how good the STX II DAC is for my headphones?
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
So, lots of head-fi users (and me among them) are using STX\STX II as their DAC (as their source) for their headphones.
I know that STX II DAC\AMP are very popular in here.

But, how much actually this DAC\Source is good for headphones?
Can it replace an USB DAC\AMP?

Jun 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 10
They've done wonders for my HD600 and 700. Its a very neutral DAC/Amp. Not a fan of how it makes my DT990 sound butI hardly use them from my PC. For the price, it's good combo. I would suggest a proper amp though eventually. As a DAC, it's pretty good. The amp should be upgraded in time though

Jun 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 10
We're talking DAC here, not amp :)
The question is whether it's DAC is good enough to stay with, even when using expensive headphones.

Thank you for your comment and info.
I really like the STX II paired with my DT990 actually. bass is well-controlled, excellent details and soundstage. the only down side might be with a slightly brightness.

But, if that DAC sounds good to me, I'm always looking for the best. thus my question - is it's DAC good enough? good enough to pull all the details, soundstage and balanced sound, and of course - a clarity, non-distorted sound by 100%?

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Was not a good pair for my D7000 but I believe its much better for higher impedence headphones.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 10
I went from an Asus Essence STX 1 DAC only to Asus Essence One Muses Edition as a DAC only. It was an almost imperceptible change/upgrade, maybe a small one.

Going from an Asus E1 Muses to a Schiit MMB was a very good upgrade though.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 10
So it's safe to say that STXII dac is very high quality one?

A sound card costs 300$ is better than some DAC\AMP?
Sounds too good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back